Israel v Scotland - 18 / 11 / 2020

19 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Palmer wasn’t remotely awful. One or two poor crosses, solid enough otherwise. He was completely fine. 

Palmer was fine but O'Donnell is the better player currently so O'Donnell goes back in for me. I dont really know why we wouldnt play the same 11 as Serbia if they were all available. Appreciate Robertson may not be so the obvious change is Tierney to LWB and McKenna or Considine into the back three. Alternately leave the three alone and put Taylor in at LWB.

We're not in a position to rest Christie and McGinn if they are physically fit. Maybe if Fraser and Armstrong were available, but they arent.

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Palmer was fine but O'Donnell is the better player currently so O'Donnell goes back in for me. I dont really know why we wouldnt play the same 11 as Serbia if they were all available. Appreciate Robertson may not be so the obvious change is Tierney to LWB and McKenna or Considine into the back three. Alternately leave the three alone and put Taylor in at LWB.

We're not in a position to rest Christie and McGinn if they are physically fit. Maybe if Fraser and Armstrong were available, but they arent.

I’ve been critical of O’Donnell and thought Palmer should have started the Serbia much (though wasn’t exactly bothered) but I would agree that O’Donnell has earned his place now. 

Yes - I would play the same, if Robertson doesn’t make it then McKenna at LCB may Tierney at LWB. 

Hearing Robbo is out

Marshall

McTominay - Gallagher - Cooper

O’Donnell - Jack - McGregor - Tierney

McGinn

Christie - Dykes
Quote from Clarke on Robertson:

“Andy was probably a little bit worse than the rest, which is why I left him out. It would have been too big a risk. But he’s coming to Israel so we’ll assess him over there and hopefully get him on the pitch. That would be good as we’d like our captain on the pitch.”

Sounds fairly positive but hard to tell giving who's saying it.
I've got a bad feeling about this game. Israel always look better than their FIFA ranking (89th) when watching them. ELO has them 63rd which feels more accurate to me. They don't pick up many points but there's a lot of close defeats in there. They never seem to play particularly poorly against us either.
I thought our last game in Israel was just as bad as the Kazakhstan game tbh. We were totally outplayed in that game (pre-sending off included).
O'Donnell seriously struggled against Tawatha that night in particular and I don't think they've played each other since.
Things will obviously be different this time with players, confidence and also understanding of the formation but going there still worries me. Thinking 1-1 just now...

Channel hopping last night and the Israeli main men were the RB/a wingery guy Solomon/ and that chap who usually scores-so we will need players who can deal with them. That suggests 3-5-2 with Tierney on their RB. Odonnell marking Solomon and Gallagher taking care of the scorer.  It was obvious that Considine was not quite right for that side, so I would go for McTominayGallagher/McKenna  : as for up front we really need Christie but I can't make my mind up about our No 9. As Bitton would be their main CB ,much as I will be mocked, I would play McBurnie and Dykes if Christie is tired.! I think we will need to win as the Czechs will get three points ( my predictions are usually rubbish)

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Lack of understanding

Just now, Chapelhall chap said:

Channel hopping last night and the Israeli main men were the RB/a wingery guy Solomon/ and that chap who usually scores-so we will need players who can deal with them. That suggests 3-5-2 with Tierney on their RB. Odonnell marking Solomon and Gallagher taking care of the scorer.  It was obvious that Considine was not quite right for that side, so I would go for McTominayGallagher/McKenna  : as for up front we really need Christie but I can't make my mind up about our No 9. As Bitton would be their main CB ,much as I will be mocked, I would play McBurnie and Dykes if Christie is tired.! I think we will need to win as the Czechs will get three points ( my predictions are usually rubbish)

Is Bitton not out of the game? I might be wrong.

Solomon looks like an excellent player, bar moving Tierney over to Rwb i can see him having alot of success running at us. Same as he did in the last game.

2 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Is Bitton not out of the game? I might be wrong.

Solomon looks like an excellent player, bar moving Tierney over to Rwb i can see him having alot of success running at us. Same as he did in the last game.

Don't know about Bitton-is it yellow cards? Was El Hamid who got sent off? I see what you mean about Tierney doing that job but he looked quite good attacking against Slovakia. Maybe we know a bit more now about Solomon. Still a concern.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Palmer wasn’t remotely awful. One or two poor crosses, solid enough otherwise. He was completely fine. 

Palmer would’ve started Serbia game for me, as I thought he was a superior player to O’Donnell, however O’Donnell has earned the jersey, and played far better than Palmer did against Slovakia, in my opinion, so he should come back in.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Scotland have to win this one as Czech will likely beat Slovakia. 

I thought that too and then realised Slovakia were ranked the highest of all the teams in our group. 

Then u factor in the fact it is hardly an away game. Also the fact they used to be the same country. It was an amicable parting in many ways but this is to all intents a local derby. So all that in mind I now think Slovakia have every chance of getting a result on Wed night. 

We can't rely on the Slovak's in any way to do the business against the Czech's.

We have to do Israel...I think we have played them 4 times in recent years with a win each and 2 draws, so on paper it might not be that easy.

Play like we did against Serbia in the first 89 mins and we should be fine though 

Edited by Need2Speak2Caesar

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Palmer was one of our worst players yesterday, I would definitely be looking to bring O'Donnell back in for this. Get as close to Thursday's team as you can, perhaps with Taylor, McKenna and Griffiths/McBurnie/Burke in for Tierney, Robertson and Christie if they're not available to start.

Spot the killie fan 😂Palmer awful? 😂😂😂Very good. That being said, I would bring your man back in as he was good against Serbia. 

Curious as to how Burke would perform in Christie's role if Christie doesn't start. He might be the most likely of the other forwards to contribute to a goal - can't see Clarke starting Griffiths or Shankland. It'll probably be McBurnie.

Our two performances against Israel weren't great, but in the context of the time, they were no better or worse than the Czech away match, or the home wins v Czechs, and Slovakia.

Our performances in the last two matches have been far higher than anything September, or October.  If we get to those levels tomorrow night, then we are strong favourite to win.

Israel are not a great side.  If they were, they wouldn't have come 5th in the most recent EQ group.  They have one exceptional player in Zahavi, and a few decent players, but their team does not get good results.

Reverting to Thursday's team as much as possible maximises that opportunity.