Israel v Scotland - 18 / 11 / 2020

With the result today agaisnt Slovakia

A disappointing score but a decent performance (Scotland were the better team today)

A good thing is that the team we played on Thursday is far superior to the team today

We may already have topped the group by the time of the game (If Czech republic and Israel draw later today)

I actually want us in a way to not be already confirmed as top by the time the game starts as I want us to put on a full performance

McBurnie did nothing tonight - If we had Dykes on (I know he was suspended) - we would have won - scoring at least 2

Dykes will be back on Wednesday

Not sure if Robertson will still be injured

I reckon same team that started against Serbia should play if all available

Armstrong was pretty poor today (A player I rate very highly) - think he is suspended though for the Israel game

Marshall

O'Donnell, McTominay, Gallagher, Tierney, Robertson

McGregor Jack, McGinn

Dykes Christie

If Robertson is injured Tierney moves to LWB and McKenna takes Tierney's place

We can do it

Edited by nessies long lost ghost

A defeat here would be a real kick in the cock. I'd go:

Marshall
McTominay Gallagher Cooper
O'Donnell Jack McGregor Tierney
Armstrong
Dykes Christie

Hopefully Christie can make it. It was a toss-up between Armstrong and McGinn but think Dykes should be added to today's front three as Armstrong/Christie were great together, plus McGinn could probably do with a rest.

16 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

A defeat here would be a real kick in the cock. I'd go:

Marshall
McTominay Gallagher Cooper
O'Donnell Jack McGregor Tierney
Armstrong
Dykes Christie

Hopefully Christie can make it. It was a toss-up between Armstrong and McGinn but think Dykes should be added to today's front three as Armstrong/Christie were great together, plus McGinn could probably do with a rest.

Armstrong is suspended

McLaughlin

McTominay Gallagher Tierney

Palmer -----------------------Robertson

Jack McGregor

Christie Dykes McGinn

Assume the deal is the keepers are getting a game each, otherwise there was no reason for picking Gordon today.

3-0 Scotland.

9 minutes ago, G51 said:

McLaughlin

McTominay Gallagher Tierney

Palmer -----------------------Robertson

Jack McGregor

Christie Dykes McGinn

Assume the deal is the keepers are getting a game each, otherwise there was no reason for picking Gordon today.

3-0 Scotland.

The main reason for picking Gordon presumably is he was the 2nd best keeper in the squad.

Unless we've already won the group tonight, Marshall will be back in for Israel. No doubts.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The main reason for picking Gordon presumably is he was the 2nd best keeper in the squad.

Unless we've already won the group tonight, Marshall will be back in for Israel. No doubts.

Gordon's fine, but he wasn't even getting in the squad recently and Celtic patched him in favour of Scott Bain. The only thing he's done of note since was that nice little save he had in the SC semi.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Gordon's fine, but he wasn't even getting in the squad recently and Celtic patched him in favour of Scott Bain. The only thing he's done of note since was that nice little save he had in the SC semi.

Scott Bain will never be anywhere close to Craig Gordon though. 

1 minute ago, G51 said:

He wasn't getting a first team game until recently, something I'm fairly incredulous about but it says much about Lennon that he rated Scott Bain a better option (I'll give him Fraser Forster probably). Gordon's always had issues with balls to feet but otherwise he's been our best goalkeeper for most of the last 15 years and he's still there or thereabouts though Marshall has earned his position above him and McGregor might be above both if he hadn't retired himself.

They are both better keepers than John McLaughlin who is himself no longer a first team regular. Gordon starting ahead of McLaughlin isn't remotely a surprise regardless of how many squads he missed while not being picked for Celtic.

6 minutes ago, G51 said:

He wasn’t getting in the squad recently due to the fact he hadn’t been playing, that’s changed now, pretty sure it was reported he had a hand injury for quite a while too. He’s a fine back up to Marshall, and Celtic patching him for Scott Bain is their issue, I think we can all confidently say Bain has never been and won’t be near CG’s level. Marshall’s a hero to us all now and rightly so, after his brilliant performances recently, but  Gordon’s one of the best ever to wear the jersey still. 

Edited by JagsCG

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Scott Bain will never be anywhere close to Craig Gordon though. 

Sure. I just think if I'm McLaughlin I'm pretty pissed off that Gordon gets the start ahead of me today, unless I know I'm playing on Wednesday. McLaughlin's played regularly as part of a defence on course for a record-setting pace in the Premiership, and the only guy keeping advanced metrics for the league (that I'm aware of) has him as the best keeper in the league this season alongside Alnwick and McGregor. It's difficult to imagine Gordon is exceeding that kind of performance even if he is playing weaker teams every week.

42 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

if we take our chances we'll be fine.

This is the problem. Two games in which Scotland were the better team. Only one goal, a draw (over 120 mins) and a defeat to show for it.

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

Sure. I just think if I'm McLaughlin I'm pretty pissed off that Gordon gets the start ahead of me today, unless I know I'm playing on Wednesday. McLaughlin's played regularly as part of a defence on course for a record-setting pace in the Premiership, and the only guy keeping advanced metrics for the league (that I'm aware of) has him as the best keeper in the league this season alongside Alnwick and McGregor. It's difficult to imagine Gordon is exceeding that kind of performance even if he is playing weaker teams every week.

Genuine question. How much has he actually had to do behind Rangers defence? Which he's not even first choice in any more. If McGregor hadn't retired McLaughlin wouldn't even be in the squad.

I know he effectively played a B team today but even at that it's not a charity match. The manager's responsibility is to put the best 11 on the pitch whilst managing his squad. If Gordon is a better keeper than McLaughlin (and I think most people would agree he is) then he should start any game that Marshall doesn't, not be sat down because McLaughlin turned up a few times. I suspect if we'd won today (or if we get through with a draw tonight) then McLaughlin may get his thank you appearance.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Just now, Flash said:

This is the problem. Two games in which Scotland were the better team. Only one goal, a draw (over 120 mins) and a defeat to show for it.

well im willing to trust the goals will come, its been bit by bit progression with clarke, hopefully dykes can start bagging a few more , and mcginn and christie too.