BANDS YOU'D LOVE TO SEE REFORM

Oscar Wilder

The 3 you listed are about the only ones who:

1) could (cos they're still all alive), 

2) Have never given any indication of doing so

So demand would be huge!!

Of the 3 I'd go and see the Jam. Dogged school to see them sound check at the Apollo on their final tour. Couldn't get into the gig.

The 3 you listed are about the only ones who:
1) could (cos they're still all alive), 
2) Have never given any indication of doing so
So demand would be huge!!
Of the 3 I'd go and see the Jam. Dogged school to see them sound check at the Apollo on their final tour. Couldn't get into the gig.
Was lucky enough to see the Jam at their peak, just missed the Smiths at Irvine Magnum, would loved to have seen Abba in their pomp!! [emoji4]

5 minutes ago, Oscar Wilder said:

Was lucky enough to see the Jam at their peak, just missed the Smiths at Irvine Magnum, would loved to have seen Abba in their pomp!! emoji4.png

I was lucky to see The Smiths live twice at the Barrowland. Closest I got to ABBA was Bjorn Again. Still enjoyed it immensely. 

There was a time I'd have loved Dead Kennedys to reform, as I'm too young to have seen them back in their pomp.

Then one of them turned out to be a massive hypocrite and liar who ripped the others off, and the others have since used the name to feather their nests as they slide into retirement. So I'd rather just stick with the old albums and remember the days when I used to have a bit of respect for them.

Ooh, the Spice Girls! Everyone loved them, didn't they? Will they ever get back together?

Most of my favourites from when i was a teenager are either still going (Swervedriver, Charlatans) or have already had a comeback that's been uninspiring (Pixies, Ride) or just massively disappointing (Happy Mondays, Stone Roses). 

Just realised that the Happy Mondays first "comeback" was 20 years ago. And i still can't believe how shit their cover of The Boys Are Back In Town was. 

So if the Smiths and the Jam would like to remain historical that would be just great. 

Swervedriver are still really good though. 

An interesting offshoot of this would be bands who did reform, and actually produced something worthwhile. Most of them do it just to make a bit of cash from touring (fair enough), and that most who attempt to produce new music would have been as well not bothering.

Carcass reformed fifteen years after going their separate ways, and produced a really good album that did an excellent job of straddling most of their musical evolution. They've had another album delayed this year due to the difficulties in touring in support of it, but I've just noticed that they've released an EP to tide us over until the big one drops. Nice!

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

There was a time I'd have loved Dead Kennedys to reform, as I'm too young to have seen them back in their pomp.

Then one of them turned out to be a massive hypocrite and liar who ripped the others off, and the others have since used the name to feather their nests as they slide into retirement. So I'd rather just stick with the old albums and remember the days when I used to have a bit of respect for them.

Ooh, the Spice Girls! Everyone loved them, didn't they? Will they ever get back together?

Jello Biafra is an utter walloper. Me old pal Wattie (you know the guy) hates him with a passion.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Most of my favourites from when i was a teenager are either still going (Swervedriver, Charlatans) or have already had a comeback that's been uninspiring (Pixies, Ride) or just massively disappointing (Happy Mondays, Stone Roses). 

Just realised that the Happy Mondays first "comeback" was 20 years ago. And i still can't believe how shit their cover of The Boys Are Back In Town was. 

So if the Smiths and the Jam would like to remain historical that would be just great. 

Swervedriver are still really good though. 

Pretty much the same for me - Favourites are still on the go or have come back already. 

Basically, almost every other band that sprung to mind will simply never happen because deid folk. 

So other than Fugazi, literally the only other band I could think of that I’d maybe like to reform is Silverchair, but even then I was never a massive fan and think it’s just because they could reform and were really good live. 

20 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I prefer this one

Fugazi are a criminally underrated or forgotten band. 

When Nirvana and Rage Against The Machine came along, both were largely lauded with praise for creating a new sound, and rightly so to some extent but listening to Repeater it’s clear Fugazi were a heavy influence.

2 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Jello Biafra is an utter walloper. Me old pal Wattie (you know the guy) hates him with a passion.

Yeah. Is/was very talented, but the mask came off a long time back when it became obvious that egotism is his primary motivator. His worst nightmare would be that the world sorted out the problems he's spent a lifetime highlighting, and he no longer had an audience. He's also still parroting his bullshit lies about how he didn't rip off his band mates, he hasn't received any money from the Dead Kennedys back catalogue after it was taken from him (because he ripped off his band mates), and that he has no say in anything to do with the band's back catalogue and merchandise, despite them continually releasing evidence of cashed cheques in his name and legal documents that he signs to give the go-ahead for their plans.

To be fair to the other members, they've done quite well not suing him again for slander and libel. It would be interesting to see how he handled having to justify such easily disproved nonsense.