Misheard Song Lyrics

Szamo's_Ammo

A mondegreen is a mishearing or misinterpretation of a phrase in a way that gives it a new meaning. Mondegreens are most often created by a person listening to a poem or a song; the listener, being unable to clearly hear a lyric, substitutes words that sound similar and make some kind of sense.

This song just came on randomly on YouTube:

It sounds like Emma Bunton at 36s in is singing "What's driving you is I'm pished and I'm betting".

What other misheard lyrics spring to mind?

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

35 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

A mondegreen is a mishearing or misinterpretation of a phrase in a way that gives it a new meaning. Mondegreens are most often created by a person listening to a poem or a song; the listener, being unable to clearly hear a lyric, substitutes words that sound similar and make some kind of sense.

This song just came on randomly on YouTube:

Good thread.  The disappointment is that you failed to explain the origin of the term which stems from the song The Bonnie Earl O' Moray which contains the line, "They have slain the Earl O' Moray and laid him on the green Lady Mondagreen'

I feel a certain ownership here since I sang this song as a solo in Dalziel High School's choir concert in 1976 and (think) I articulated it perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...