Thistle vs East Fife - November 21st

Glad to be returning to league action after an extended league cup group stages. After our very poor start we need to be winning this game in hope that it will give us a spark to start picking up regular points. Although, East Fife will be no easy customers. Neither side are where they want to be in the league currently, it will be interesting to see which way this one goes.

Unless we can shore up our deficiencies in defence it is going to be very difficult to win games of football. The last 2 games against Hearts and Inverness 3 of the 4 goals we lost were from the basics of defending manual. Our defensive frailties isn’t something that has just appeared it has been a long running theme especially from corners. We matched Hearts and Inverness in those two games ,the difference was goals that were easily avoidable. We are definently improving as an attacking threat , but if the manager can’t find a way to sort out the defence then I can’t see us taking anything from this game. Partick Thistle have had a surprisingly slow start to the season but will fancy their chances at home of beating any part time team. We have a habit of losing by the odd goal and feel this could be the case on Saturday.

45 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

Unless we can shore up our deficiencies in defence it is going to be very difficult to win games of football. The last 2 games against Hearts and Inverness 3 of the 4 goals we lost were from the basics of defending manual. Our defensive frailties isn’t something that has just appeared it has been a long running theme especially from corners. We matched Hearts and Inverness in those two games ,the difference was goals that were easily avoidable. We are definently improving as an attacking threat , but if the manager can’t find a way to sort out the defence then I can’t see us taking anything from this game. Partick Thistle have had a surprisingly slow start to the season but will fancy their chances at home of beating any part time team. We have a habit of losing by the odd goal and feel this could be the case on Saturday.

Agree with the above but would it not help if Brett was put back in as he is the better keeper. A few games back Craig Watson had a great game and his reward was to be dropped he should be back in as well. 

45 minutes ago, troy said:

Agree with the above but would it not help if Brett was put back in as he is the better keeper. A few games back Craig Watson had a great game and his reward was to be dropped he should be back in as well. 

The Brett Long being dropped is a strange one I can’t see he did much wrong before losing his place against Dumbarton. You would have thought he would have got a game in the cup ties as Darren has rotated keepers for the league cup. Can only assume something has happened behind the scenes. I would certainly agree he is by far the better of the 2 keepers. Craig Watson maybe paying the price for giving away needless penalties. 

I am probably in the minority here, I think we have had good long spells in most games(Clyde) aside. We lost in added time at Cove in horrendous conditions after a poor decision by Docherty. We drew with Falkirk at Firhill after missing a penalty right after they had scored, went ahead and then lost a goal a couple of minutes before the end.
Again, I think we did ok in the betfred group stages. Our 1st competitive game of the season was vs St Mirren who had already had a lot of games and we matched them for 70 odd minutes. We drew against both Championship teams - vs QOS we played with 10 men for a good chunk of that and vs Morton at the weekend, we had 10 players out through suspension and injury.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

I am probably in the minority here, I think we have had good long spells in most games(Clyde) aside. We lost in added time at Cove in horrendous conditions after a poor decision by Docherty. We drew with Falkirk at Firhill after missing a penalty right after they had scored, went ahead and then lost a goal a couple of minutes before the end.
Again, I think we did ok in the betfred group stages. Our 1st competitive game of the season was vs St Mirren who had already had a lot of games and we matched them for 70 odd minutes. We drew against both Championship teams - vs QOS we played with 10 men for a good chunk of that and vs Morton at the weekend, we had 10 players out through suspension and injury.

I actually agree with you. However, football is a results business and we just haven’t been picking up the results we need. Clyde away we were terrible and the Morton game at home while we matched them it was overall a very low quality game, the other games we have been decent in spells but just haven’t picked up the points we need.  

I actually agree with you. However, football is a results business and we just haven’t been picking up the results we need. Clyde away we were terrible and the Morton game at home while we matched them it was overall a very low quality game, the other games we have been decent in spells but just haven’t picked up the points we need.  

I get it - we have been here before, playing ok, not getting results and the downward spiral it sent us into. However, with a bit more concentration towards the end of games, we can still turn this round. But we don’t have much time.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

I get it - we have been here before, playing ok, not getting results and the downward spiral it sent us into. However, with a bit more concentration towards the end of games, we can still turn this round. But we don’t have much time.

Again I agree. We can turn it around, we cannot screw up the next few games though as if we do then we have given ourselves a huge mountain to climb. 

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Do we have to play this game?Just give East Fife the points.

I know things have been shite over the last few years but have you ever posted anything that isn’t completely negative? 

3 hours ago, R&Y99 said:

I know things have been shite over the last few years but have you ever posted anything that isn’t completely negative? 

Absolutely. I was delighted when we got McCall. Look how negative that has become. As for your timeline mentioned, what positivity has there been? Dreadful performances on the park, awful managers and an utter shambles off the park.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Absolutely. I was delighted when we got McCall. Look how negative that has become. As for your timeline mentioned, what positivity has there been? Dreadful performances on the park, awful managers and an utter shambles off the park.

You are not wrong about the goings on at the club, but it’s just every week I see you predicting us to lose and saying you already can’t be bothered with the game. I’m not trying to say there’s loads to be positive about right now and you are of course entitled to your opinion.
I wasn’t even meaning to have a go but I’ve put it across like that so I apologise.

2 hours ago, R&Y99 said:

You are not wrong about the goings on at the club, but it’s just every week I see you predicting us to lose and saying you already can’t be bothered with the game. I’m not trying to say there’s loads to be positive about right now and you are of course entitled to your opinion.
I wasn’t even meaning to have a go but I’ve put it across like that so I apologise.

No apologies necessary. We are all entitled to our opinion. My negativity about Thistle is coming from the last awful 4 years. And I dont see it improving any time soon.