Players coming out of international retirement...

DA Baracus

33 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

If Clarke pursues any of the retired players I'll take a belt sander to my helmet (40 grit).

No way he'll disrupt a perfect squad harmony for any of the mentioned players.

f**k, that made me laugh out loud but I.m easy influenced ATM

3 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Bit of an older article, but probably an indication of the tone future interviews will take. I love how some players come back to say they'd never say no to their country, when *checks notes* they've already said no to their country.

In fairness to Snodgrass he says there... "I'd never say never for my country. If Steve Clarke needed me, he knows my number and where I am."

I wouldn't call him up as I don't think we need him, but I'd say fair play to him for realising he was reaching the end of his usefulness and clearing a space to bring through younger players.

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

In fairness to Snodgrass he says there... "I'd never say never for my country. If Steve Clarke needed me, he knows my number and where I am."

I wouldn't call him up as I don't think we need him, but I'd say fair play to him for realising he was reaching the end of his usefulness and clearing a space to bring through younger players.

Actually I think he could be very useful

7 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Fletcher isn't good enough to dislodge McBurnie, Burke, Shankland or Paterson?

Hmmmmmm.

Not begging for the boy, but still, hmmmmmm.

Would be extremely surprised if Burke or Paterson made the 23 man squad, and pretty surprised if Shankland made it (though we’re a long way out).

So it comes down to McBurnie vs Fletcher. Given Fletcher has no experience playing in this system and McBurnie has better attributes for playing in it (plus he’s shown a lot of dedication for Scotland) then I’ll take McBurnie pretty comfortably.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Would be extremely surprised if Burke or Paterson made the 23 man squad, and pretty surprised if Shankland made it (though we’re a long way out).

So it comes down to McBurnie vs Fletcher. Given Fletcher has no experience playing in this system and McBurnie has better attributes for playing in it (plus he’s shown a lot of dedication for Scotland) then I’ll take McBurnie pretty comfortably.

Fletcher has played the lone striker role almost his entire career. We'll have to disagree on McBurnie having better attributes for playing it!

And we're not taking only 2 forwards to the Euros.

5 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Fletcher has played the lone striker role almost his entire career. We'll have to disagree on McBurnie having better attributes for playing it!

And we're not taking only 2 forwards to the Euros.

I’m assuming we’ll be taking 2 out and out strikers (Dykes +1) and 2 “second strikers” to play off them if you like (Fraser, Christie). Otherwise you quickly run out of places.

Fletcher may have played the lone striker role his whole career. That’s not really what this role demands though. It needs someone who can take the ball in, hold it up, pass it on to runners beyond him and have good off the ball movement to make runs and make himself available. McBurnie is better than Stoke City’s 33 year old Steven Fletcher at those things, and he isn’t even that great at making the ball stick.

7 minutes ago, G51 said:

I’m assuming we’ll be taking 2 out and out strikers (Dykes +1) and 2 “second strikers” to play off them if you like (Fraser, Christie). Otherwise you quickly run out of places.

Fletcher may have played the lone striker role his whole career. That’s not really what this role demands though. It needs someone who can take the ball in, hold it up, pass it on to runners beyond him and have good off the ball movement to make runs and make himself available. McBurnie is better than Stoke City’s 33 year old Steven Fletcher at those things, and he isn’t even that great at making the ball stick.

You assume wrongly then.

There’s only one player probably good enough and that’s Alan McGregor. Laughable at guys like Scott Brown even getting a mention. Brown is finished at any sort of decent standard, probably by a couple of years actually.

There’s only one player probably good enough and that’s Alan McGregor. Laughable at guys like Scott Brown even getting a mention. Brown is finished at any sort of decent standard, probably by a couple of years actually.
Yeah, international footbalk doesnt require players to act like d!ckheads and pick on young players to make up for their shortcomings.

The only one who might possibly be considered to offer something different or better to who he have now is Fletcher. Perhaps. But his stats don't back it up - he's scored a goal every three and a half games for Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke in the much-vaunted (by others) Championship. So he can f**k off too.

2 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:
2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Yeah, international footbalk doesnt require players to act like d!ckheads and pick on young players to make up for their shortcomings.

Brown bossed Savic in Lazio game 

On 14/11/2020 at 16:48, velo army said:

Everyone: Yaaaaaaaaaaaassss!

Everyone else: Yes sir, I can Boogie!!!

Everyone not otherwise stated: *sobbing joyfully for reasons they can't comprehend*

Nobody at all: McGregor and Brown need to get back into this squad.

Baracus mate, just enjoy the moment. If there is ever a danger of Broony or McGregor getting back into the squad (there absolutely isn't) then let's deal with that when it comes.

In the mean time, my neighbours haven't heard enough about my capacity and capabilities with regard to "boogie". I'm awa to keep them updated.

Do you not "need a certain song" for this task?

8 hours ago, Tynierose said:

Nobody should be permitted to  come out of retirement for a tournament when they have contributed nothing to getting there.

The harmony in the group is fantastic and the togetherness and spirit they have is one of the major assets.

Anything that could impact that and causes ill feeling should be avoided and Clarke is clever enough to know that.

It only takes one or two feeling aggrieved for issues to crop up in the dressing room.   For me if you've retired then cheers but you're done.

This, again...

6 hours ago, G51 said:

Fletcher would actuality suit being back up to Dykes in that system far more than McBurnie, but then again, Fletcher “turned his back on the country” by claiming injury and then playing, and then asking not to be picked, at a time when we had a bit of a striker crisis. 

5 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Scott Brown wouldn’t fit into our system either, the 2 man midfield of Jack and McGregor, with McGinn slightly ahead, requires legs and good mobility, all 3 have that, Brown these days, does not. Not to mention the fact, all 3 of those players are superior in footballing ability to him, yes he’s a good leader - but no chance he should get brought back now. 

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

I wouldn’t mind taking McGregor along as the 2nd/3rd choice keeper. Marshall, Gordon and McGregor are still our best three keepers even at their age (probably in that order)

Allan McGregor is a terrific goalkeeper, was brilliant for Scotland and still very good for Rangers over past few years, however, is he not close to retirement from football all together? Don’t see Clarke wanting to bring him back if Marshall and Gordon are fit, or him wanting to come back and play 2nd or 3rd fiddle.