Players coming out of international retirement...

DA Baracus

16 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Did Stevie Fletcher ever officially turn his back on Scotland?

He is still playing at a decent level and imo is a far better target man as back up to Dykes than McBurnie.

I think he did. There's no other explanation as to why he hasn't been in any squad since the last time he was.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I think he did. There's no other explanation as to why he hasn't been in any squad since the last time he was.

Aye...mibbe so then.

As u say it is strange he has no been involved. Because with the system Clark is playing, Dykes is the key player. We need someone similar as back up.

Fletcher definitely holds the ball up better, links play and has better vision  etc than the other options we have at the moment.

Edited by git-intae-thum

12 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Aye...mibbe so then.

As u say it is strange he has no been involved. Because with the system Clark is playing, Dykes is the key player. We need someone similar as back up.

Fletcher definitely holds the ball up better, links play and has better vision  etc than the other options we have at the moment.

I'd absolutely rather have Dykes than Fletcher. If Fletcher never 'retired' then I'd have him in the squad if he was playing regularly and well.

I’m sure there was a thing in the lead up to the nations league games in September where Clarke said he’d spoken to Fletcher who told him that he wanted to concentrate on his club career.

Edit: bottom of this article:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/53912691 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

1 minute ago, git-intae-thum said:

Agreed. I did not mean that Fletcher replace Dykes....just that Fletcher is a better back up than what we currently have.

Ah, I get you! Aye, would rather Fletcher over McBurnie but if Fletcher has indicated he doesn't want to play for the national team or said he'd rather concentrate on his club career then get him to f**k, and I'd rather McBurnie who has showed a very high level of commitment to the national team.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Ah, I get you! Aye, would rather Fletcher over McBurnie but if Fletcher has indicated he doesn't want to play for the national team or said he'd rather concentrate on his club career then get him to f**k, and I'd rather McBurnie who has showed a very high level of commitment to the national team.

If that is the case with Fletcher.....then no argument from me!!

8 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

If David Marshall was dropped to let McGregor back in there’s be riots.

Marshall deserves his place.

I actually think McGregor is still a better keeper, but once you’ve retired that’s it, no crawling back.

He is and also you're right.

I guarantee McGregor is regretting his retirement massively now as he’d be first choice.

I guarantee that he isn't.  Both he and Jon McLaughlin are in clover this season.  Playing goal keep for Rangers is the easiest job in Scottish soccer right now with the only decision being if it's a one cigar or a two cigars game.

image.gif

3 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I don't think McGregor is good enough to dislodge Marshall now, Marshall the one playing regularly at a higher level and is a better keeper right now.  He's been excellent for us recently, McGregor at best would be second choice anyway.

McGregor is a liability, I would never be sure he would complete a game.

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I guarantee that he isn't.  Both he and Jon McLaughlin are in clover this season.  Playing goal keep for Rangers is the easiest job in Scottish soccer right now with the only decision being if it's a one cigar or a two cigars game.

You could be right, who knows. Footballers tend to be incredibly competitive people, and reaching a major tournament with your country is often the highlight of a career. Especially for someone like McGregor who’s not won anything of note except lots of titles with Rangers. 

The second point probably makes it even more likely that he regrets it. He’s got it so easy at Rangers that it wouldn’t impact his club career too much going to the Euros and he would actually have a major achievement to look back on that matters outside of Scotland.

Nobody should be permitted to  come out of retirement for a tournament when they have contributed nothing to getting there.

The harmony in the group is fantastic and the togetherness and spirit they have is one of the major assets.

Anything that could impact that and causes ill feeling should be avoided and Clarke is clever enough to know that.

It only takes one or two feeling aggrieved for issues to crop up in the dressing room.   For me if you've retired then cheers but you're done.

30 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Nobody should be permitted to  come out of retirement for a tournament when they have contributed nothing to getting there.

I appreciate the opinion he shouldn't come out of retirement, but Alan McGregor played more than any goalkeeper in our route to qualifying. He played every minute in the Nation's League group we won to get into the play offs.

I’d be absolutely stunned if McGregor said he wanted to un-retire for this. He’s an old man now, I think there’s a significant chance he retires from football altogether before the Euros.

Much more likely to see Brown or Fletcher try to come back into the fold. But neither player is good enough to dislodge what’s there, so it’s not a problem.

Allan McGregor
Phil Bardsley, ???, ???, ???
???, James McArthur, Scott Brown, Matt Ritchie
Robert Snodgrass, Steven Fletcher

All potential u-turn boys, all should be told to “do one” if they try to squeak back, but have I missed any that could fill out a starting 11???

26 minutes ago, G51 said:

Much more likely to see Brown or Fletcher try to come back into the fold. But neither player is good enough to dislodge what’s there, so it’s not a problem.

Fletcher isn't good enough to dislodge McBurnie, Burke, Shankland or Paterson?

Hmmmmmm.

Not begging for the boy, but still, hmmmmmm.