Dundee United v Hamilton Academics

Still in shock to have scored two goals in one game and secured three points.

The difference in United when switching to four at the back - and specifically the introduction of Robson was there for all to see.

What went before was appallingly bad.

Callachan done a good impression of Mark Connolly at the penalty (still mystified as to why it was a penalty), and then repeated the trick with his free kick a few minutes later.

5 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

To win after going 1-0 down midway through the second half, considering we hadn't scored a goal since Methuselah was a boy, is a bloody good result. It must have annoyed the moaning b*****ds on Twitter no end that we actually won that game.

People who pay attention to Twitter should be disqualified from moaning about Twitter.

That was about 20 decent minutes and 73 of absolute pish.  But another 3 points and the Funsters last to Ayr.

36 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

McNulty was very good in parts of the game, his movement and harrying is very effective and he linked up well. If we can get MM to play him and Shankland right up front together we could be onto something once they begin to gel.

I honestly can't believe we're clear in 5th with that defence and midfield. Shows you how bad the rest of Scottish football really is.

I don't think it matters who we play upfront whilst we persist with that formation.  But yeah, McNulty looks good and it should be easy to perm a good forward line from Shankland, McNulty, Clark, McMullan, Bolton, Chalmers, etc. It won't matter though with three non footballers at the back and we'll continue to be afflicted with the vision of one of our most prolific strikers ever going entire games without getting a decent chance.

But we're comfortably clear in fifth so ... f**k knows. Does Mellon just say 'job done'?

12 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I don't think it matters who we play upfront whilst we persist with that formation.  But yeah, McNulty looks good and it should be easy to perm a good forward line from Shankland, McNulty, Clark, McMullan, Bolton, Chalmers, etc. It won't matter though with three non footballers at the back and we'll continue to be afflicted with the vision of one of our most prolific strikers ever going entire games without getting a decent chance.

But we're comfortably clear in fifth so ... f**k knows. Does Mellon just say 'job done'?

I'm not a huge fan of this formation because, as you say, it depends so heavily on the defence being able to pass to a midfielder who in turn needs to be capable of passing forward.

Which is why I'd prefer we had the goal machine up front with a guy who can create space and chances for said goal machine because, let's be honest, there's going to be more wayward launches at Tannadice than the Kennedy Space Centre so I'd rather have two targets for them to aim at.

Saying that, we scored 2 goals using this formation, neither of which came from either of these two fucking haddies were talking about. 

So in that case...

Nicky Clark makes ShankNulty look shiiiite!

34 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Saying that, we scored 2 goals using this formation, neither of which came from either of these two fucking haddies were talking about.

We didn't though. We switched to a back four and immediately started making chances. When it was a three/five we created nothing.

Hamilton’s biggest mistake today was scoring, as long as it’s 0-0 we are not changing formation and both teams finish with a point. Don’t mind the shitfest back 5 approach away from home or even against the top 4 at home but against a team bottom of the league who are haemorrhaging goals it’s just not good enough.  The change in shape brought about by losing a goal is what got us the points and hopefully shows MM that we are good enough to attack the poorer teams in the league. 
Despite some horrendous viewing today we picked up 3 top flight points while Dundee and Hearts were losing in the lower leagues, pleasing. 

6 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Hamilton’s biggest mistake today was scoring, as long as it’s 0-0 we are not changing formation and both teams finish with a point. Don’t mind the shitfest back 5 approach away from home or even against the top 4 at home but against a team bottom of the league who are haemorrhaging goals it’s just not good enough.  The change in shape brought about by losing a goal is what got us the points and hopefully shows MM that we are good enough to attack the poorer teams in the league. 

Exactly right.