Has Covid Killed The Banter

12 hours ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

Nothing for the fans to post about. Fans of the teams that are playing can’t really comment on much as they haven’t seen their team playing in months. Sadly i think a lot of fans will be lost to the game after starting up without them

Less that I think rather than the preponderance of people still posting here being fans of clubs sitting the season out who don't have as much as usual to talk about. 

It was only natural that clubs that decided to take a year out were in the main those better-supported ones who would have been proportionately more dependent on gate receipts to keep going, and being better supported clubs it follows they are also proportionately better represented on here and generate a lot of the debate. Perhaps understandably - it's human nature - a proportion of fans of these clubs seem to be of the view that because their club isn't competing this year, no-one should be, and that any season that runs without them is intrinsically without value.

However, as a direct result of some of these prevailing viewpoints I get the impression fans of the clubs that are still playing are actively giving this forum a bodyswerve at the moment which now seems to have been largely abandoned to fans of clubs who are sitting it out, hence the lack of traffic.

Edited by Hillonearth

18 hours ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

Nothing for the fans to post about. Fans of the teams that are playing can’t really comment on much as they haven’t seen their team playing in months. Sadly i think a lot of fans will be lost to the game after starting up without them

The folk  that supported darvel pretty much stopped posting ( or became less obusive ) the folk that hated darvel got bored slagging them just to get ignored . Bring back the abuse . 

21 hours ago, theesel1994 said:

There's not been many posts all weekend.

Not much to post about, nowhere near the same dipping in and out the live feeds as being at the games, btw the guys doing the feeds are doing a good job, Darvel were averaging 300 a game last season and taking 100ish to away games there were 70 watching the feed on Saturday 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Ceejayar said:

Not much to post about, nowhere near the same dipping in and out the live feeds as being at the games, btw the guys doing the feeds are doing a good job, Darvel were averaging 300 a game last season and taking 100ish to away games there were 70 watching the feed on Saturday 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think a lot of people forget that its not all about the football. It's about meeting up with friends, grabbing a pint, travelling around the West. I canny wait till all this is over.

34 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

I think a lot of people forget that its not all about the football. It's about meeting up with friends, grabbing a pint, travelling around the West. I canny wait till all this is over.

Couldn't agree more. I think it'll take a wee while for everyone to get back up to speed with the travelling side of things though...after this amount of time it's amazing how your horizons shrink...even going into the city centre feels like an expedition. We were playing Yoker in a friendly last week - I can get a train more or less straight to the park that takes like 25 minutes each way, and I was home from it for about half ten.

Next day? Fucked.

Fell back to sleep after the alarm and all sorts...you'd have thought I'd been out till like four in the morning.

1 hour ago, Blackie Gold said:

My mate said that to me yesterday, him and a few others mainly go on a Saturday for a day out and aren’t that bothered about the football. There are also a group in there 60’s who do the same thing, I think it could be debatable whether these guys return to the football when punters can get back in, it took a lot of hard work for these guys to go doon the brae on a Saturday .

Two biggest concerns around the games, from what I've seen and heard is that football is the release/reason for some older fans - so they're missing the games, clubhouses, being part of a community on the weekend etc. Must be difficult if their partners have died, and the chance to meet pals has been lost. Hope they're all keeping well and get back to the games asap, the clubs are nothing without these guys.

Maybole playing games, auchinleck cant say the same, kennie young doing fixtures and pollok they drop out, darvel out their signing stars and bankies top the league, drumchapel, yoker too, just what will the others do, vale of leven, irvine vics dont know what will come of it

covid didnt kill the banter, it was always burning since the worlds been turning. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Maybole playing games, auchinleck cant say the same, kennie young doing fixtures and pollok they drop out, darvel out their signing stars and bankies top the league, drumchapel, yoker too, just what will the others do, vale of leven, irvine vics dont know what will come of it

covid didnt kill the banter, it was always burning since the worlds been turning. 

Billy Joel Kasubandi?

f**k me Billy Joel even knows about the West of Scotland League. Uncanny

Back to the original question, “Has Covid Killed The Banter”.

From what I can see it’s the only thing under 50 that it’s killed. Yet we are all sitting in our houses all weekend bickering about whether the entire football season should be scrapped. While 100’s of local businesses are going bust and people are losing their livelihoods every single day. Let’s think about that for a second... I’m sure I’ll get torn apart by the fear-mongers who believe this is all justified though!

4 hours ago, Spyro said:

Back to the original question, “Has Covid Killed The Banter”.

From what I can see it’s the only thing under 50 that it’s killed. Yet we are all sitting in our houses all weekend bickering about whether the entire football season should be scrapped. While 100’s of local businesses are going bust and people are losing their livelihoods every single day. Let’s think about that for a second... I’m sure I’ll get torn apart by the fear-mongers who believe this is all justified though!

What do you think the world has been doing for the last 9 months? Thank goodness you're here!

12 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

What do you think the world has been doing for the last 9 months? Thank goodness you're here!

I’ve been working all summer with minimal protection around loads of different work colleagues in an enclosed space, so I have been totally switched off from all the propaganda. Although according to the government and the good dentist, we should all be dead by now... but there’s not  been even a single case among us!

With the lack of being able to play or even watch football, see my friends or family and generally get out the house every weekend, I’ve not been in the best frame of mind which is why I haven’t posted on here for months. So this has been building...

Even if it HAS gone through us all at work, no one has been bad enough to take more then a couple of days off or bothered about getting tested, and we certainly haven’t been stupid enough to download the tracking app on our phone so the government can randomly tell us to take 2 weeks off work unpaid for no reason.

Yes, I have been very careful around certain people who are vulnerable, I have not seen my best mate or certain family members since March and that is really affecting me too! But I like to think I’m a mature adult who can make these decisions myself without the government ramming their agenda down my throat with these hysterical adverts and news bulletins. As for my mental health, I suppose I’ll manage... there’s a lot of people in a worse position than me who desperately need help right now, and for what?! We have all been played like banjo’s and more people are losing there life’s (mentally, financially and literally) over the “protection” rather than the disease itself!

Edited by Spyro