Slovakia v Scotland - 15/11

TheScarf

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

We only need to win 1 out of the 2 games (maybe not even that if results go our way) so makes sense to give the majority of Thursday's squad an extra few days' rest.

What do we actually get if we win this group? Promotion to the higher tier? Yet more games against Israel? A place in the Eurovision Song Contest?

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Making the assumptions that a) the format remains similar in years to come and b) we'd be relegation favourites in League A, we're exactly where we want to be. If you're at a level where you can realistically be a yoyo side between A & B, being in A for a pre-European Championship Nations League and B for a pre-World Cup Nations League is a great position to be in.

Being in A for the Euros guarantees you're Pot Two at worst for the qualifying groups, and even if you lose every game you're pretty much guaranteed a playoff - fewer than 12 of the 16 teams in A qualifying automatically is extremely unlikely, and there's a fair chance you'll get easier ties than you would in B or C. Being in B for World Cups gives you a far more realistic shot at winning your group than in A, and a far better chance that winning your group will be enough to make the playoffs than in C.

Obviously if we do go up to A we should take the opportunity to compete and try to survive, but even if we were to be relegated we'd be in a good position.

9 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Gordon
Cooper McKenna Considine
Palmer Armstrong McLean McGinn Tierney
McBurnie Christie

One of Armstrong and McGinn will obviously be behind the strikers but I can't be bothered guessing which one. I actually think Tierney is better suited to LWB than Robertson. We could struggle a wee but with playing out due to a) not having anyone that's good at bringing the ball out, and b) three left footed players at CB.

Actually. I don't think we would miss Robertson. I reckon he has been awful the last few games. I understand he is regarded as a great captain but I really don't see what he brings to the team

42 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Match threads noticeably quieter today, all the glory hunters gone?

Its just a positive were good enough to have them now.wwe wrestling GIF

Couldn't find a glory hunter gif 🤷‍♂️

I was watching the F1 this morning. I didn't see the point of speculating on the team because it was impossible to guess what Clarke was seeing in training. Remarkable thing about the team picked is that it includes only one player that played the whole 120 minutes on Thursday, and he's had a pretty wretched injury record over the past 18 months.

Got to say, I'm worried about an all-new back three. They're going to need a lot of protection from McLean and Armstong/McGinn (hoping Armstrong's further forward as he's less defensively reliable). 

I don't mind lots of changes for today. With 3 games in the space of 8 days, and this one not a 'must win' to win the group, this is the one to give some of Thursday's starters a rest. If we need to win in Israel later in the week, we go back to full strength (or close to it as possible) then.

Edited by Nightmare

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Too soft in the middle I fear, and McKenna is a big diddy.

Lol at Celtic letting Craig Gordon leave, spending 5m on a keeper and now starting Bain in goals.

Also add in that we could have got David Marshall (who was hinting at wanting a move)  for a couple of hundred grand. Fannies.

Edited by gannonball

Just now, Nightmare said:

I don't mind lots of changes for today. With 3 games in the space of 8 games, and this one not a 'must win' to win the group, this is the one to give some of Thursday's starters a rest. If we need to win in Israel later in the week, we go back to full strength (or close to it as possible) then.

They both may be must-wins for a World Cup play-off place, though. That's all you get for finishing second in your World Cup qualifying group, so it would be worth a helluva lot.

Just now, Nightmare said:

I don't mind lots of changes for today. With 3 games in the space of 8 days, and this one not a 'must win' to win the group, this is the one to give some of Thursday's starters a rest. If we need to win in Israel later in the week, we go back to full strength (or close to it as possible) then.

Really, I think this is a must win, get it done and over with.

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

I mean, that's a positive way to look at it. And I don't blame people who would have gone full strength today. But it's not a 'must win'.

Ok , I' m not sure how many points are required to progress but surely its best to get them sooner rather than later