Slovakia v Scotland - 15/11

TheScarf

54 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Does that not mean promotion is bad for our chances then?

No, because it's group winners from this Nations League, not the next one. It's likely that the Euros might go back to following the play-off structure for the current Nations League, which means being in League A gives us a massive chance of being in the play-offs regardless of how poorly we ultimately do. It also guarantees us to be in at least Pot 2 for the Euro qualifiers themselves (with the top 2 going through).

1 hour ago, forameus said:

They'd rather listen to the knicker-wetters that would rather watch two of the bigger sides pass endlessly between each other and finish 0-0 than a diddy madly swinging at anything that moves.  It'll be a big shame if they drop that spot.

They have to drop it if they use the same qualifying format anyway though, because you'll have the hosts (Germany) + 20 automatic qualifiers, which only leaves 3 places.

McClean and Armstrong will start

Palmer to come in for Stephen O'Donnell too

Apart from that I would be very reluctant to change anything unless players are injured

Burke for Dykes who is suspended

Marshall

Palmer, McTominay, Gallacher, Tierney, Robertson

McLean Jack, McGinn

Burke Armstrong

Edited by nessies long lost ghost

I would start our strongest team to try and get the job done. If we win then I would play a B side as such v Israel to give most players at least 90 minutes. 

Clarke May choose to rest players but the likes of Gallacher will want to play. He has 7 caps and will not be saying to Clarke he wants a rest. I am pretty sure of that. Most players want to get as many caps as possible. 

I would start Griffiths over McBurnie for Dykes. 

Am I right in thinking that two draws is enough for us to win the group? Leaving us level with the Czechs, if they win their last two games, but ahead on the head to head record? Not that I'm advocating playing for two draws, I think we should win at least one of them.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Am I right in thinking that two draws is enough for us to win the group? Leaving us level with the Czechs, if they win their last two games, but ahead on the head to head record? Not that I'm advocating playing for two draws, I think we should win at least one of them.

17 hours ago, Paco said:

So, firstly we have to win the group for this to be relevant. And ideally win it well - two draws would definitely win the group, but might see us third or fourth in the queue for a WC play-off. If it’s Russia and Wales ahead of us, it might work out fine. Norway and Finland? Maybe less so. So important to keep an eye on all League B results over the next week or so.

17 hours ago, Paco said:

So important to keep an eye on all League B results over the next week or so.

Thought I'd have a look at who we want to win.

Sunday:

B1 - Northern Ireland away to Austria, Romania home to Norway.

B3 - Turkey at home to Russia, Serbia away to Hungary.

B4 - Bulgaria at home to Finland, Ireland away to Wales.

Wednesday:

B1 - Austria v Norway draw.

B3 - Serbia at home to Russia, Turkey away to Hungary

B4 - Wales v Finlands draw.

Ideally we get two wins and none of it matters, though Wales are also level with us on GD, we're only ahead on goals scored.

Sunday:
Wednesday:
Ideally we get two wins and none of it matters, though Wales are also level with us on GD, we're only ahead on goals scored.
How the f**k are we ahead of anyone on goals scored?

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
32 minutes ago, GordonS said:
Sunday:
Wednesday:

How the f**k are we ahead of anyone on goals scored?

😂 We've scored 5 in 4 games, Wales have three 1-0 wins and a 0-0. Wales haven't scored a goal earlier than the 80th minutes either. Lyndon Dykes > Gareth Bale.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Thanks for that. As I said, we shouldn't be playing for draws, and I'm reasonably confident we'll manage at least one win. I'll worry about understanding the ramifications of the other results on another day.

21 hours ago, craigkillie said:

No, because it's group winners from this Nations League, not the next one. It's likely that the Euros might go back to following the play-off structure for the current Nations League, which means being in League A gives us a massive chance of being in the play-offs regardless of how poorly we ultimately do. It also guarantees us to be in at least Pot 2 for the Euro qualifiers themselves (with the top 2 going through).

What he said.

For context, Iceland were the only Pot A side not to qualify automatically, and in their play-offs they got the dregs of Pot C - Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria.

So winning this Nations League group would increase our chances for both the World Cup AND the Euros in 2024.

eewt.png

Cannae tell if we should rotate for this game, keeping folk fresh for a potential decider against Israel, or get the best team out and rest them once we've sealed the group win. I think any team that fits the current system from the current squad should still beat Slovakia... even with Paterson and McBurnie starting.

Presuming we stick with the 3-5-1-1 that puts a lot of work onto the wing backs so I would certainly give Palmer a run out ahead of O'Donnell and maybe even rest Robertson as he has had a few 40-50 game seasons in recent years and this will be another. In defence and midfield a few players "deserve" a run out like Considine, Cooper, Armstrong and McLean so I would play a few of them. Dykes is out anyway so I presume it will be like for like with McBurnie. Let's go with

Marshall

McTominay    Gallagher    Cooper
Palmer                                                                               Tierney

Jack
McLean               Armstrong

Christie

McBurnie

Although if Christie needs a wee lie down play any two from Burke/Griffiths/Shankland/McBurnie upfront in a 3-5-2 instead of a 3-5-1-1. Or Armstrong behind  a striker and keep McGregor on. 

22 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I think any team that fits the current system from the current squad should still beat Slovakia... even with Paterson and McBurnie starting.

Worth bearing in mind that Slovakia are actually ranked higher than us by FIFA (37v45), and gave us a good game just a month ago in Scotland.

These are important games. The captain plays - has to.

I wouldn't change much at all.