Squad for the finals

Donathan

Naismith creaking through another 90 minutes for Hearts in the Championship. His attitude can't be questioned but I think his legs are totally gone. We saw it in his most recent two Scotland performances last November too where he was well off the pace, even against poor opposition.

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Naismith creaking through another 90 minutes for Hearts in the Championship. His attitude can't be questioned but I think his legs are totally gone. We saw it in his most recent two Scotland performances last November too where he was well off the pace, even against poor opposition.

Aye he's way done, would be better calling up Dalglish.

On 18/11/2020 at 22:57, Gordopolis said:

Probably get slaughtered for this, and I'm backtracking on previous opinions... but given our fragility in the final 3rd, a fit and firing Naismith might be an astute inclusion in this 23.

Bags of experience, good linkup and strong on the ground and in the air. Has dug the national team out of a hole more than once in the past.
Obviously I'd prefer a shit hot 20 year old McLewandowski, but I'm not sure such a creature is going to emerge before next summer.

Steven fletcher is surely better and has fantastic link up play. 

On 18/11/2020 at 23:57, Gordopolis said:

Probably get slaughtered for this, and I'm backtracking on previous opinions... but given our fragility in the final 3rd, a fit and firing Naismith might be an astute inclusion in this 23.

Bags of experience, good linkup and strong on the ground and in the air. Has dug the national team out of a hole more than once in the past.
Obviously I'd prefer a shit hot 20 year old McLewandowski, but I'm not sure such a creature is going to emerge before next summer.

6 hours ago, Cal said:

Steven fletcher is surely better and has fantastic link up play. 

The fletcher/naismith front line could work, like Jack and Victor. Or statler and Waldorf.

23 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Did Naismith not play well and score a header against Kazakhstan?

I genuinely can't remember much of the game but Scotland were good second half that night

I genuinely can't remember much of the game but Scotland were good second half that night
He did. He seems to have been "done" for a few years now but has in a few occasions during that time come back for Scotland and provided just what we needed. It ain't sexy to call up a 34 year old injury prone forward who doesn't score very much, but I can see Clarke doing just that depending on how Naismith's season progresses.

1 hour ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

He scored a header, but I wouldn't say he played well beyond his natural leadership qualities.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He scored a header, but I wouldn't say he played well beyond his natural leadership qualities.

He was also pretty solid away from home against Cyprus from what I remember. The team struggled after Mcburnie came on for him and he was unable to hold the ball up at all.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

He was also pretty solid away from home against Cyprus from what I remember. The team struggled after Mcburnie came on for him and he was unable to hold the ball up at all.

Performing better than mcburnie isn't really a tough yardstick. 

Every time mcburnie comes on for anyone, there is an immediate drop in work rate. And the team struggles to get the ball up the park.

At the the moment tho given the choice between the 2, id take mcburnie. Because Naismith is about 95 years old.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

There is the leadership factor, which shouldn't be underestimated. In that last Israel game we didn't have a single outfield player over 30, which is really impressive in many ways as it bodes for a bit more continuity over the next 6-8 years or so, but perhaps we suffered a little from lack of experience and leadership in attack. Dykes had an off night, McBurnie looks like it's never going to happen for him and Griff looks overweight and off it.  

Naismith is indeed rickety, but he is extremely vocal and knows how to box clever, and this could be thing we need in the squad.

All depends on how his season goes. He's not up to speed yet and is just as likely to get injured as he is to hit form. If it's the latter, I think SC will be quite happy to call him up.

2 hours ago, Binos said:

Dykes and Fraser are the starting two

Christie Fraser's back up

Mcburnie and Griff as impact subs (hopefully)

Burke as late right wing sub

Can't see anymore space in the squad for forward players

I'm sorry, but what exactly is it that Nisbet has to do to get called up? He should be ahead of McBurnie, who is really only there because he commanded a high transfer fee and plays for the worst team in the EPL. He totally stinks the forward line up any time he plays.