Squad for the finals

Donathan

3 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I heard chat recently about bigger squads being allowed to help cope after a season of covid fixture compression. Is that something that is actively being considered or was it just blethers?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't am increased squad size tbh, a certainty if there's still covid measures in place for players

3 hours ago, Cal said:

Forrest should be rewarded for getting us to the play offs.

Whit? Why don't we bring back Alex McLeish while we're at it. he got us there too!

Forrest should be in the squad if he's one of the best 23 at the time of selection. Otherwise he shouldn't. What he did 2 years ago is irrelevant.

20 minutes ago, Andrew Driver said:

Forrest is better as an inside forward or in the number 10 role.  

He's struggles when playing as a 1-0n-1 winger.  

I would still prefer Barrie McKay (who's quicker, two-footed, better at beating a player, better shot, superior control etc)  but this forum rates players on the basis of the clubs they play for.  

Uh huh, we're going to turn to a guy who is currently playing in the English 3rd tier because he can't get a game in the 2nd and who played 6 mins of international football over 4 years ago (and I had to look up that he does actually have a cap because I sure as hell didn't remember it).

I don't think Forrest is a given at all though he'll likely be in there if fit, but he's sure as hell a better bet than a guy currently playing for Fleetwood Town. Was this serious or just a bit of trolling that reeled me in?

10 hours ago, Andrew Driver said:

You've fallen for the classic P&B that we must play the players with the largest transfers.  

McKay has proven himself in old firm games.   He can handle that level.   

The only reason he doesn't thrive in English football is his lack of work rate in a forward 3.   Play him behind the striker and he'll be absolutely class.   

Answer the following:  

Q1)  Who's more two footed?  Forrest or McKay? 

Q2)  Who has better control?  Forrest or McKay?  

Q3) Who has better vision?  Forrest or McKay? 

Q4)  Who has the better shot?   Forrest or McKay?  

Q5)  Who has the better first touch?   Forrest of McKay?  

I'd have both in my squad and Paterson would drop out.  

Er no, I haven't. I'm a Nottingham Forest fan in English football. I've seen plenty of Barrie McKay. He's absolutely nowhere near the level required for international football and that's why he's playing in the 3rd tier of English football.

The notion that McKay should be anywhere near the squad is quite the most bizarre post on this thread. It's not like he's either / or with Forrest. There are about 20 other players ahead of him too. I'm not a fan of James Forrest particularly. He came on to a game a bit under McLeish but he was an absolute imposter for his first 20 caps or so under Strachan. I'm not convinced he'd be in my squad but he'd be miles nearer it than McKay. If you're not actually related to McKay then this is one big trolling mission.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

9 hours ago, Andrew Driver said:

You've fallen for the classic P&B that we must play the players with the largest transfers.  

McKay has proven himself in old firm games.   He can handle that level.   

The only reason he doesn't thrive in English football is his lack of work rate in a forward 3.   Play him behind the striker and he'll be absolutely class.   

Answer the following:  

Q1)  Who's more two footed?  Forrest or McKay? 

Q2)  Who has better control?  Forrest or McKay?  

Q3) Who has better vision?  Forrest or McKay? 

Q4)  Who has the better shot?   Forrest or McKay?  

Q5)  Who has the better first touch?   Forrest of McKay?  

I'd have both in my squad and Paterson would drop out.  

I watched Barrie Mckay for a whole season at morton. I was given the big sell from my rangers supporting mate that this guy was excellent.

Ill tell you what I told him at the time.

Yeah the guy is a good footballer. Limited physically.

What he lacks in physicality, he lacks 5 fold mentally. He's got the heart of a mouse. He not interested in the team. He's not interested in the game. He will shirk every challenge.

The odd good goal every 10 games doesn't make up for it.

Hes the guy at 5 aside who shoots constantly and goes home happy cos he scored a couple. And doesn't consider that his team lost because he gave the ball away constantly.

Barrie McKay will never have much of a football career. I was confident of that then, and I'm confident of that now.

Hes closer to the job centre than he is a scotland recall.

14 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I think palmer is a certainty to be bombed out...there are a few players in and around the squad who arent right backs but could play there if required 

I think he's the best right back and can play right across the back four.  I'd have him ahead of O'Donnell.  I'd be surprised if they aren't both in the squad.  Other than that, the squad largely picks itself.  I think Considine, Shankland and Paterson are not going.

Aye, Paterson continues to be a weird pick for squads.  Is it because he's played 2 completely different positions in his career and he's there for utility purposes?

There's better right backs and strikers to pick than him.

11 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye, Paterson continues to be a weird pick for squads.  Is it because he's played 2 completely different positions in his career and he's there for utility purposes?

There's better right backs and strikers to pick than him.

Think that's largely it. Not really a major issue in qualifying squads where you can largely take as many players away as you feel like and can now name dozens of subs but in a restricted squad I guess his flexibility is an attraction. At the end of the day, if he's our 3rd best right back AND our 4th best striker then taking him instead of the 2nd best right back and the 3rd best striker saves a squad position that the manager could use elsewhere without massively affecting the quality of the squad and without affecting the first eleven at all. He's been a willing servant for Scotland but he's certainly not in our best 11 and he's probably not in our 2nd eleven either.

As someone said a day or so back, a 23 man squad effectively allows you to name your two best teams and an extra keeper. It's not quite as simple as that but does Paterson fit in our 2nd eleven? He's probably our 3rd best right back (4th if you consider Tierney can certainly play there too and has effectively in the past). Is he one of our best 4 forwards? He's certainly behind Dykes. He's probably behind McBurnie and Griffiths. Maybe Shankland. He'd be behind Fraser if we're counting him as a forward. I'd have him behind Burke as a forward personally.

On 17/11/2020 at 13:34, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Is it just me that feels bringing Forrest back shouldn't be a given when he's fit?

He's been genuinely woeful in most of his caps and I don't really see where be plays in the formation we've settled on.  He's never really been a good impact player off the bench either. 

This stopped being the case about four years ago. He was consistently good in 2018 qualifying and was an important part of the team that went six unbeaten in that campaign. His good performances recently comfortably outweigh the bad.

How many WC Qualifiers do we have before the finals?  Two I presume?

That would give us WC matches, plus three (?) friendlies prior to the Championships.  There's still an opportunity for a few on the cusp.

It's probably as simple as choose a first XI, a second XI for each position, and add a third goalkeeper.

EDIT: How many games would that be in 2021? Potentially 8/10 WCQ + 3 group matches + 2/3 friendlies?  Have we ever played 15+ matches in a year before?

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

30 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

How many WC Qualifiers do we have before the finals?  Two I presume?

That would give us WC matches, plus three (?) friendlies prior to the Championships.  There's still an opportunity for a few on the cusp.

It's probably as simple as choose a first XI, a second XI for each position, and add a third goalkeeper.

EDIT: How many games would that be in 2021? Potentially 8/10 WCQ + 3 group matches + 2/3 friendlies?  Have we ever played 15+ matches in a year before?

There's three WCq's in March  (and September). Also, unfortunately....

1594695936_Screenshotfrom2020-11-1816-24-26.png.b2001a357e1b3d2379969241fe8b7a64.png

634093102_Screenshotfrom2020-11-1816-24-41.png.1e5d148d1b22d85c37380e5ea92c6ea4.png

The opening game is on the 11th June so 1st June is the squad deadline. The friendlies are only really helpful for tactical adjustments.

7 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

This stopped being the case about four years ago. He was consistently good in 2018 qualifying and was an important part of the team that went six unbeaten in that campaign. His good performances recently comfortably outweigh the bad.

I disagree.  He was at best ok in 2018 qualifying (and gash at Wembley).  He missed 2 of the 6 games unbeaten and did nothing against Malta and Slovakia.  Played OK in Lithuania and well at home to Slovenia.

He's had ten caps since his 2 game purple patch and veered between ineffective and absolutely godawful.

Probably get slaughtered for this, and I'm backtracking on previous opinions... but given our fragility in the final 3rd, a fit and firing Naismith might be an astute inclusion in this 23.

Bags of experience, good linkup and strong on the ground and in the air. Has dug the national team out of a hole more than once in the past.
Obviously I'd prefer a shit hot 20 year old McLewandowski, but I'm not sure such a creature is going to emerge before next summer.

11 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Probably get slaughtered for this, and I'm backtracking on previous opinions... but given our fragility in the final 3rd, a fit and firing Naismith might be an astute inclusion in this 23.

Bags of experience, good linkup and strong on the ground and in the air. Has dug the national team out of a hole more than once in the past.
Obviously I'd prefer a shit hot 20 year old McLewandowski, but I'm not sure such a creature is going to emerge before next summer.

Unless Griffiths gets himself in a condition better than prime Mark Yardley, Naismith is our best available striker after Dykes

Unless Griffiths gets himself in a condition better than prime Mark Yardley, Naismith is our best available striker after Dykes

Yeah what is going on with Griffiths? He was bombed out early this season at Celtic for turning up after lockdown overweight. But I thought his recent return to the domestic scene was because he had trimmed down. Yet based on these last few internationals it looks like he has been tanning toblerones and driving to Dundee in his bare feet

Being serious, I hope it's not his mental health difficulties getting on top of him. So frustrating to think that 3 years ago he was beginning to provoke 'european class striker' comments.