Squad for the finals

Donathan

Just now, gannonball said:

He had his most successful season stats wise last year despite it being shortened (16 goals, 22 assists) . In the nations league hes scored 5 goals in 4 games so would silly really to not utilise somebody like him in a squad. 

No question at all he's an excellent club player.  He's just never done it for us bar that mad 2 game spell under McLeish.

I expect he'll be in, I think most folk would pick him - I just wouldn't

2 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

If Forrest is fit for me he's definitely in.  With his pace it could be him or Fraser playing off a main striker, a real asset. You saw the difference Fraser made in that role, well Forrest is also rapid and it made us a different team. Could also fill in RWB, as could Fraser.

He played rwb against Israel, it was horrible

36 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

To be fair he also did it against Lazio and it was brilliant. 

Given the lack of pace in our squad, him and Fraser are both rightly certain for inclusion in the squad if they are fit. 

50 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

So what, we're a much better side now.  McTominay had a couple of horrible games at CB, now you'd  pick him there wouldn't you?  He could fill in there if need be.  Definitely in the squad for me if fit and playing well. 

Definites (11)

Marshall, Robertson, Tierney, Gallagher, McTominay, McGregor, Jack, McGinn, Christie, Fraser, Dykes

Almost certain (7)

Gordon, O'Donnell, McKenna, Cooper, Armstrong, Forrest, McBurnie

Probably (5)

McLaughlin, Palmer, McLean, Fleck, Griffiths

That leaves recent squad regulars Taylor, Considine, Paterson, Shankland and Burke on the outside looking in. I'd say Palmer and Fleck are perhaps the two whose positions are most at risk.

There's obviously opportunities for others like Gilmour to work their way into contention - if he's playing regularly for Chelsea there's no way he should be left out. Inevitably, one or more of the guys above will end up picking up some sort of injury and missing which would leave an opening.

Edited by craigkillie

Right now, here's my 23 man squad. Every position is covered and yes I might be slightly biased having Nisbet ahead of McBurnie or Shankland but I think he'd also be more positive with the ball than those two, as well as being more dangerous in the box. I wouldn't be bringing in Che Adams or any more new faces though, it appears from the outside to be a tight group so why change too much? They deserve their shot. 

Marshall

Gordon

McLaughlin

Robertson

Tierney

Gallagher

Cooper

McTominay

McKenna

O'Donnell

Palmer

Considine

McLean

McGregor

McGinn

Armstrong

Christie

Gilmour

Jack

Dykes

Fraser

Griffiths

Nisbet

Palmer could lose his place if/when Forrest comes back. I tried coming up with a squad last night (30 and 23-men squads) and struggled a wee bit. Could our system make things a bit trickier whittling it down when you account for plan Bs etc?

47 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Right now, here's my 23 man squad. Every position is covered and yes I might be slightly biased having Nisbet ahead of McBurnie or Shankland but I think he'd also be more positive with the ball than those two, as well as being more dangerous in the box. I wouldn't be bringing in Che Adams or any more new faces though, it appears from the outside to be a tight group so why change too much? They deserve their shot.

Why is bringing in Che Adams out of the blue any different to bringing in Kevin Nisbet out of the blue, aside from one of them obviously being a far better player?

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Definites (11)

Marshall, Robertson, Tierney, Gallagher, McTominay, McGregor, Jack, McGinn, Christie, Fraser, Dykes

Almost certain (7)

Gordon, O'Donnell, McKenna, Cooper, Armstrong, Forrest, McBurnie

Probably (5)

McLaughlin, Palmer, McLean, Fleck, Griffiths

That leaves recent squad regulars Taylor, Considine Paterson, Shankland, Burke on the outside looking in. I'd say Palmer and Fleck are perhaps the two whose positions are most at risk.

There's obviously opportunities for others like Gilmour to work their way into contention - if he's playing regularly for Chelsea there's no way he should be left out. Inevitably, one or more of the guys above will end up picking up some sort of injury and missing which would leave an opening.

Wouldn't disagree with that too much. I think I'd have Forrest, and maybe McBurnie as a "probably" rather than a "Almost Certain" but ultimately that's still the likely 23 if everyone was fit. A fit regularly playing Griffiths probably goes up to "Almost Certain" too.

If McLaughlin doesn't play much for Rangers in the 2nd half of the season, which is quite likely, then a fair chance McCrorie or someone else out of left field takes the 3rd keeper spot.

I agree that Palmer and Fleck are probably the most at risk of the 23 if there are no injuries. I would add Grant Hanley to the list of just outside the squad too, although he's not been a squad regular lately due to long term injuries. He was ahead of Considine (and Cooper) before that and might get there again. Gilmour could push Fleck out if he gets regular first team football either at Chelsea or on loan. Outside chance of a stellar second half of the season for Burke, Shankland or even Nisbet dislodging either McBurnie or Griffiths and possibly of Clark's seeing Paterson's versatility as something worth sacrificing someone else for, be that Palmer or AN Other.

Over the piece though I'd go with your 23.

I heard chat recently about bigger squads being allowed to help cope after a season of covid fixture compression. Is that something that is actively being considered or was it just blethers?
I haven't seen much about it.
I'm expecting an increased number of subs allowed but it's difficult to tell on squad size. They've got emergency call-ups if there's a bad injury.
Next UEFA meeting is in December so might find out then.

I see the friendly dates have already been set. 31st May - 8th June according to UEFA's website. So unless they change the rule on the squad announcement date all post 1st June friendlies are useless in helping pick the squad.

6 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Marshall

Gordon

McLaughlin

Robertson

Tierney

Gallagher

Cooper

McTominay

McKenna

O'Donnell

Palmer

Considine

McLean

McGregor

McGinn

Armstrong

Christie

Gilmour

Jack

Dykes

Fraser

Griffiths

Nisbet

Not sure about Considine and Nisbet , spelt N I S B E T , unfortunately

Edited by ewan14

9 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Is it just me that feels bringing Forrest back shouldn't be a given when he's fit?

He's been genuinely woeful in most of his caps and I don't really see where be plays in the formation we've settled on.  He's never really been a good impact player off the bench either. 

Agree, except the 2 matches under Big Eck, Forrest has been hopeless in a Scotland jersey, and nowhere near the player he is for Celtic. He also doesn’t fit the current set up at all, he’s not going to play RWB, because in these Euro games we need someone with a better defensive capability than him, and Christie and Fraser are superior to him in the No.10 role. However, I’d absolutely have him in the squad, because there is a chance he could come off the bench and create something from nothing.