Squad for the finals

Donathan

Marshall) (40), Gordon (54) McCrorie (0)

Paterson (16), O'Donnell (15), McTominay (18), Gallacher (6), McKenna (16), Cooper (4), Tierney (14), Robertson (39)

McLean (15), Jack (9), Armstrong (21), McGinn (27), McGregor (25), Fleck(4) Christie (14), Fraser (14), Forrest (35)

Dykes (6) McBurnie (13), Griffiths (20))

Something like this Palmer, Considine, Taylor, Gilmour, Burke, Shankland - absentees

Not sure on 3rd keeper either after Marshall and Gordon

5 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Marshall, Gordon, McLaughlin 

ODonnell, Palmer, McTominay, Gallagher, Tierney, Cooper, McKenna, Robertson

McGregor, Jack, McGinn, McLean, Christie, Armstrong

Forrest, Fraser, Dykes, McBurnie, Griffiths, Paterson

22 good

15 minutes ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

Marshall) (40), Gordon (54) McCrorie (0)

Paterson (16), O'Donnell (15), McTominay (18), Gallacher (6), McKenna (16), Cooper (4), Tierney (14), Robertson (39)

McLean (15), Jack (9), Armstrong (21), McGinn (27), McGregor (25), Fleck(4) Christie (14), Fraser (14), Forrest (35)

Dykes (6) McBurnie (13), Griffiths (20))

Something like this Palmer, Considine, Taylor, Gilmour, Burke, Shankland - absentees

Not sure on 3rd keeper either after Marshall and Gordon

I think guys like Palmer and Paterson are stick ons due to their versatility.

7 hours ago, Detournement said:

The SFA should try and get Karlan Grant to join the squad. Given how bad our striking options are he could be a big asset as he's only 23.

Nah, any of these guys that have been previously approached and said no should be left well alone. That's just a kick in the teeth for the guys who got us there. 

1 hour ago, greenockraver said:

After watching Mcburnie toil last night, would it even be worth thinking about calling S. Fletcher up for the finals instead ? 

Excellent player, scored a sensational goal vs Poland, but No. 

Even if we wanted to bring him back, there’s no chance, he doesn’t want to be part of the team anymore, going back to that time he said he was injured and then played for Sheffield Wednesday. 
At a time, when we were seriously struggling up front as well. 
I like him a lot as a player, but Clarke won’t do it, and Fletcher won’t do it. 

I'm usually dead against forcing players who don't want to play for us in to the team......but now we are at a tournament would  it be worth using it to advantage to see if Angus Gunn would consider a call up? We have no semi decent keeper after Marshall goes  - which granted may  be 3 years or so yet.

Edited by red23

15 hours ago, forameus said:

It's the difference between just putting some distinctly average players together, and putting them together with belief.  We watched Northern Ireland enviously as their gang of jobbers went to tournaments and asked how they did it, how they became more than a sum of their parts.  Clarke has pretty much achieved that.

Totally agree  i've said it a lot on here and to mates who's comments of "the players simply aren't good enough look at mcburnie or stephen fletcher up front" failing to note josh magennis and Kyle Lafferty playing for n.ireland in tournaments.

When you don't have great players it's always about building a club team mentality which is exactly why i wanted clark to get the job.

Edited by red23

First any players “coming out of retirement” can get to f**k!

We’ve got a serious lack of goals in our strikers which is very worrying and when Dykes went off we had zero up front. Shankland scored against San Marino and Burke against Cyprus hardly world beaters, Paterson and McBurnie have 0 goals in 30 caps a shocking statistic for any striker. For me the rest of the squad is fairly easy to pick with the odd player missing out but our striking options are really poor. Naismith is still one of our better options but playing Championship football. There’s half a season for our strikers to impress Clarke and with the exception of Dykes every other striker spot is surely up for grabs.

5 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

We’ve got a serious lack of goals in our strikers which is very worrying and when Dykes went off we had zero up front. Shankland scored against San Marino and Burke against Cyprus hardly world beaters, Paterson and McBurnie have 0 goals in 30 caps a shocking statistic for any striker. For me the rest of the squad is fairly easy to pick with the odd player missing out but our striking options are really poor. Naismith is still one of our better options but playing Championship football. There’s half a season for our strikers to impress Clarke and with the exception of Dykes every other striker spot is surely up for grabs.

Would personally love to see Allan McGregor, Scott Brown, McArthur, Bardsley, Tom Cairney and snodders get back in................ ;)

7 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

The only thing I disagree with here is that it may be a bit harsh on Callum Paterson - most of his caps were when he played in defence I think and he is usually a subby when he comes on nowadays?

3 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Agree, Naismith is probably still a pretty effective option, and yet he’s in the second tier of Scottish Football. Hopefully, Shankland hits the form with Dundee United, Paterson and McBurnie just never look like scoring goals (except the one of McBurnie’s that unluckily hit the bar in a recent match). 

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

Agree, Naismith is probably still a pretty effective option, and yet he’s in the second tier of Scottish Football. Hopefully, Shankland hits the form with Dundee United, Paterson and McBurnie just never look like scoring goals (except the one of McBurnie’s that unluckily hit the bar in a recent match). 

More generally, I think with the performances of Gallagher and Comsidine in the last few matches we can finally consign the "but he plays for x in the x league" argument to bed. Naismith clearly has the skill, experience and the intelligence to play in the current set-up, regardless of where Hearts are. I question whether McBurnie has the same attributes but Clarke will have him in the squad.

as McBurnie walked up to take his penalty, I just pictured him missing it to reinforce the whole assessment of him. However he took it well so wee bit of praise for him for a) scoring and b) having the confidence to take it (though would be a bit odd if one of our remaining actual strikers elected not to take one at that stage). 

When are the pre-tournament friendlies played? The squad has to be named by 1st June I believe.
Scottish Premiership is supposed to finish on 16th May, EPL on 23rd, EL final on 26th & CL final on 29th.
From what I remeber international friendlies overlap the European finals. 27th & 30th May maybe?

45 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

as McBurnie walked up to take his penalty, I just pictured him missing it to reinforce the whole assessment of him. However he took it well so wee bit of praise for him for a) scoring and b) having the confidence to take it (though would be a bit odd if one of our remaining actual strikers elected not to take one at that stage). 

It would be but I don't think you can understate the pressure he was under. He's well aware that a lot of people think he's not up to it and if anyone was ever set up to be the fall guy it was him. He would've known what was coming if he'd missed. 

He was hopeless on Thursday but I think his previous two sub appearances gave a glimmer of hope. 

Let's see how he gets on tomorrow. 

11 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Nah, any of these guys that have been previously approached and said no should be left well alone. That's just a kick in the teeth for the guys who got us there. 

Not sure I agree here. Karlan Grant or Che Adams would be tremendous additions to take to the Euros and if our performances under Clarke have turned their heads then they should absolutely be considered. If either of them are interested then leave a dumpling like Burke at home, or even Shankland who has barely played a minute for us.

37 minutes ago, ropy said:

There have been a number of players going from zero to hero in this run of games, O’Donnell, McGregor, Jack.  Maybe it’s McBurnies turn.

Ryan Jack has only been a zero for people who didn't like him for non-Scotland related reasons, or looked down their nose at him because he played in the Premiership.