Squad for the finals

Donathan

With a squad of 25 this week compared to only 23 for the finals plus a few players missing this week it’s going to be hard to narrow it down

My first predictions

Goalkeepers (3):

David Marshall

Craig Gordon

Jon McLaughlin

Defenders (8):

Stephen O’Donnell

Liam Palmer

Andy Robertson

Kieran Tierney

Declan Gallagher

Andy Considine

Scott McKenna

Liam Cooper

Midfielders (7):

Ryan Jack

Callum McGregor

Kenny McLean

John Fleck

Stuart Armstrong

John McGinn

Scott McTominay

Forwards (5):

Ryan Fraser

Ryan Christie

Lyndon Dykes

Leigh Griffiths

Lawrence Shankland

Notable absentees:

Greg Taylor

Oli McBurnie

Callum Paterson

Oli Burke

James Forrest

A good enough squad that, but there's a few where it's difficult to predict, for example, Shankland wasn't even in the squad last night, so I'd imagine that he needs to hit some consistent form for Dundee United (I know, he recently had an injury) to remain a certainty. Steven Naismith was on Sportscene last night, pretty confident that if he could do well this season, he'd be back in the squad soon too. 

28 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

A good enough squad that, but there's a few where it's difficult to predict, for example, Shankland wasn't even in the squad last night, so I'd imagine that he needs to hit some consistent form for Dundee United (I know, he recently had an injury) to remain a certainty. Steven Naismith was on Sportscene last night, pretty confident that if he could do well this season, he'd be back in the squad soon too. 

Would take Naismith over McBurnie everyday of the week.

Just now, gannonball said:

Theres a lot of football to be played between now and then but I see no point in picking Shankland tbh if Griffiths is in form.

There is, and we can't really predict it with any degree of accuracy.

But if Forrest is picked, he's either playing RWB or he's playing that role off the striker. I can't see him playing RWB because Palmer is our best one and O'Donnell is the guy who got us there. And he's not as good as Fraser or Christie off the striker. So the only other person is Griffiths, who shouldn't be representing Scotland anyway and likely won't be fit for the games.

Forrest is probably the 24th man in a 23 man squad.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

Who do you swap him for? Griffiths?

It may be blasphemous, but from the OP's selection it'd be Considine. Tierney or McTominay might need to cover left wing back or central midfield respectively at some point but if you've got those two, Gallagher, McKenna and Cooper available you don't need a sixth centre back.

Interested to see if Billy Gilmour gets regular football when he's fully fit, he's the only uncapped player you'd think has a real chance of working his way in ahead of McLean or Fleck. Turnbull obviously isn't going to get a regular start at Celtic and with the quality of our other creative midfield options he'd need to have an exceptional season to play his way in.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

But if Forrest is picked, he's either playing RWB or he's playing that role off the striker. I can't see him playing RWB because Palmer is our best one and O'Donnell is the guy who got us there. And he's not as good as Fraser or Christie off the striker. So the only other person is Griffiths, who shouldn't be representing Scotland anyway and likely won't be fit for the games.

He's not a starter in this current system but for an option on the bench with his pace and assist/goal record he cant be left out for me imo. Fraser would be ahead of him but he starts if he doesn't pull out.

21 minutes ago, G51 said:

You're right that he might not start but he should definitely be in the squad. 

I had this discussion with a mate last night and the 23 I predicted was

Marshall, McLaughlin, Gordon

O'Donnell, Palmer, Robertson, Tierney, McTominay, Gallagher, Cooper, McKenna, Considine

Forrest, Christie, McGregor, Jack, McLean, Armstrong, McGinn

Dykes, Fraser, Griffiths, McBurnie

Edited by C. Muir

2 minutes ago, greenockraver said:

scotland 2018: defence is shite

scotland 2020: defence is arguably strongest part of team 

It's the difference between just putting some distinctly average players together, and putting them together with belief.  We watched Northern Ireland enviously as their gang of jobbers went to tournaments and asked how they did it, how they became more than a sum of their parts.  Clarke has pretty much achieved that.

26 minutes ago, forameus said:

It's the difference between just putting some distinctly average players together, and putting them together with belief.  We watched Northern Ireland enviously as their gang of jobbers went to tournaments and asked how they did it, how they became more than a sum of their parts.  Clarke has pretty much achieved that.

I've been saying this for years, and I know folk on here are sick of me saying it, all we needed was a decent manager who chose a system that worked for the players he had at his disposal.  Both North and South Ireland had it and they qualified for Euro 2016 (South were at 2012 too).

Edit - 2 squads full of utter jobbers playing at jobber clubs.  Yet they qualified pretty easily.  North Ireland did at least.  Think the South qualified via a play off both times.

Edited by TheScarf

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

With a squad of 25 this week compared to only 23 for the finals plus a few players missing this week it’s going to be hard to narrow it down

My first predictions

Goalkeepers (3):

David Marshall

Craig Gordon

Jon McLaughlin

Defenders (8):

Stephen O’Donnell

Liam Palmer

Andy Robertson

Kieran Tierney

Declan Gallagher

Andy Considine

Scott McKenna

Liam Cooper

Midfielders (7):

Ryan Jack

Callum McGregor

Kenny McLean

John Fleck

Stuart Armstrong

John McGinn

Scott McTominay

Forwards (5):

Ryan Fraser

Ryan Christie

Lyndon Dykes

Leigh Griffiths

Lawrence Shankland

Notable absentees:

Greg Taylor

Oli McBurnie

Callum Paterson

Oli Burke

James Forrest

McBurnie will be there (probably over Shankland). Forrest will be there (Probably over Considine with McTominay described as a defender). Gilmour has a chance if he does well with Chelsea this year (Probably over Fleck)

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Leaving out Forrest all together (if hes fit and playing )frankly is ludicrous.

Just don't see where Forrest fits into this system. You could play him at right wing back I suppose but I'm not sure he's a better option there than O'Donnell.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Forrest will definitely be in the squad if he's fit. You can't go to a major tournament with only one winger, regardless of the system you play.

Even with Forrest left out you'd still have Fraser, Christie and Armstrong capable of playing on the wing if we moved to that sort of system. I reckon Clarke will take him and leave Considine at home, but I'm not sure Forrest fits the way we're playing now.