World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

10 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Also the smaller league.  I don't care what anyone says, its just a very obvious fact that a 10 or 12 team league is less conducive to youth development than an 18 or 20 team league. People talk about meaningless games but they're actually good, you need a wee comfort zone in mid table, that allows teams to give kids a chance with much less pressure.

The smaller league is so cut-throat, lose 3 games you're fighting relegation, win 3 you're competing for Europe. So its much harder to give kids a chance. There has been a lot more of that the last 15 years or so but that was because virtually every club had bankrupted themselves in the 90's buying shite foreigners.

Ive read some crazy opinions on here. But I dont think I've ever read anyone saying that a smaller league is beneficial to youth development.

10 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Also the smaller league.  I don't care what anyone says, its just a very obvious fact that a 10 or 12 team league is less conducive to youth development than an 18 or 20 team league. 

Just now, BingMcCrosby said:

Ive read some crazy opinions on here. But I dont think I've ever read anyone saying that a smaller league is beneficial to youth development.

Just now, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You still haven't

I wasn't saying that you said it.

But your the one suggesting some people believe that.

Just now, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Naw some people deny the smaller league has contributed to the decline in youth development when Stevie Wonder in a blindfold can see it has

Indeed Stevie Wonder had alot of interest in Scottish football.

His 1974 hit  "You haven't done nothin" was specifically about our youth development system. Or lack thereof.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2020 at 20:15, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Just booked Manchester to Vienna direct. Out Sunday, back Thursday for £85. Sadly I will struggle to get tickets so 4 of us making it a family outing.

Unbelievable. Still 8 months away and EJ have cancelled these flights. Now scrabbling around for what will most certainly be more expensive replacements as accommodation is booked.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread to take stock after the first triple header

Going into this group I felt it would be a 4-way dogfight with Denmark as the slight favourites to come out on top. I was wrong. Denmark are going to win it at a canter and they're proving themselves as a really decent side who justify their top seeding. 14 goals scored, none conceded and away wins in both Israel and Austria.

At the wrong end of the group, six points off both the Faroes and Moldova is a must for anyone wishing to qualify.

That reduces the fight for second place to a 3-way battle between Austria, Israel and ourselves. My fear is that I fancy Austria to take 6 points against Israel where we only get 4, meaning we either need to go and win in Austria or beat Denmark at home to finish 2nd.

Bumping this thread to take stock after the first triple header

Going into this group I felt it would be a 4-way dogfight with Denmark as the slight favourites to come out on top. I was wrong. Denmark are going to win it at a canter and they're proving themselves as a really decent side who justify their top seeding. 14 goals scored, none conceded and away wins in both Israel and Austria.

At the wrong end of the group, six points off both the Faroes and Moldova is a must for anyone wishing to qualify.

That reduces the fight for second place to a 3-way battle between Austria, Israel and ourselves. My fear is that I fancy Austria to take 6 points against Israel where we only get 4, meaning we either need to go and win in Austria or beat Denmark at home to finish 2nd.
We are capable of beating Denmark at home

49 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Also just to note, there is a very good chance that Denmark will have won group come last game at hampden. That would mean they really would have nothing to play for. I think we just need to ensure we don't lose in vienna

We'd need 7 points from Denmark and Israel at Hampden and a trip to Vienna, I'll believe that when I see it.

My base scenario is that Israel and Austria both get 12 points off the minnows and none against Denmark, Austria beat Israel home and away. That gives Austria 19 points plus whatever they take off us in Vienna.

We take 12 off the minnows and 4 off Israel plus the 1 we already got off Israel. That would mean that a win in Austria would get us second, but a point in Vienna would leave us needing to beat Denmark either home or away (or draw twice and have a better GD than Austria)

If we lose in Vienna then we'd probably need to beat Denmark twice.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

We'd need 7 points from Denmark and Israel at Hampden and a trip to Vienna, I'll believe that when I see it.

My base scenario is that Israel and Austria both get 12 points off the minnows and none against Denmark, Austria beat Israel home and away. That gives Austria 19 points plus whatever they take off us in Vienna.

We take 12 off the minnows and 4 off Israel plus the 1 we already got off Israel. That would mean that a win in Austria would get us second, but a point in Vienna would leave us needing to beat Denmark either home or away (or draw twice and have a better GD than Austria)

If we lose in Vienna then we'd probably need to beat Denmark twice.

How are we going to take 4 off Israel plus the 1 we already got?

We'll need to win in Austria imo. That's what it will come down to. Difficult but not impossible.

Also really looking for Austria to drop points to Israel, and obviously we have to take 6 off Moldova.

We'll need to win in Austria imo. That's what it will come down to. Difficult but not impossible.
Also really looking for Austria to drop points to Israel, and obviously we have to take 6 off Moldova.
Draw in austria is fine. I think we will beat the Danes at hampden. If Denmark have already beaten austria and Scotland in Copenhagen they will have already topped group.

9 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Draw in austria is fine. I think we will beat the Danes at hampden. If Denmark have already beaten austria and Scotland in Copenhagen they will have already topped group.

Do you not think that game reeks of us requiring three points, leading 1-0, only for the Danes to win a last minute free-kick...?

Jesus, I can feel the palpitations already.

11 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 01/04/2021 at 16:26, HalfCutNinja said:

Im not sure its that big of a deal if Denmark have qualified or not by the time we play them last. They'll likely play the same team regardless.

Edited by paddymcp