World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

12 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:
44 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
Is that fuckin cuntwipe who used to play for Stoke still playing for Austria
Whats his name big diddy who thinks he's Ronaldo

Arnautovic? Just googled him, he's playing in China now at 31 years old. He was in the last Austria squad for the Nations Games in November.

Aye that's the one, what a c**t

Suppose in our group Denmark Austria and even Israel will be thinking the same as us, good draw and very doable.  Due to so many failed campaigns I can’t let myself think we can win the group haha.  I just can’t see us finishing about 2 higher ranked teams but do see us getting playoff.  I think if we finish below 2nd that’s a poor return. 

2 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The only reason we didn't win by two or three in Slovakia was because of a devastating inability to score when it was harder not to.

It was the same in Israel

We thrashed them both 0-1

4 minutes ago, FovStew said:

Suppose in our group Denmark Austria and even Israel will be thinking the same as us, good draw and very doable.  Due to so many failed campaigns I can’t let myself think we can win the group haha.  I just can’t see us finishing about 2 higher ranked teams but do see us getting playoff.  I think if we finish below 2nd that’s a poor return. 

Every qualification there are a couple of nations that fail to perform and provide an opportunity for 'lower' nations to take the chance.  

That's how Albania, Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Iceland, and Hungary have qualified recently.  

• Albania 2016 (total capitulation by Serbia, and Denmark underperforming)
  • Iceland 2016 (total capitulation by Netherlands, Turkey underperforming) 
  • Northern Ireland 2016 (total capitulation by Greece with Hungary squeezing in through the playoffs)
  • Bosnia WC 2014 (our friends Greece again in consecutive qualifiers letting smaller nations past them)

Those are just some recent examples, and clearly Iceland etc. had to take their chance, but the only way Austria and Denmark run away with this group (like Belgium/Russia) is if we let them.

Neither Austria nor Denmark are serial qualifiers.  Denmark have made it to 4 of the last 8, and Austria have qualified to 2 European Championships since 1998 (excepting EC 2008 as they were hosts).

Neither of these countries should scare us.  If we can't threaten to come 1st or 2nd in this group of all groups...

Denmark dropped points home and away to Ireland and away to Georgia in 2020 qualifying, as well as salvaging a remarkable 3 all draw with Switzerland after being 3 down with 6 minutes to go.

On the positive side, they were unbeaten, but still only finished 3 points above an Ireland team who only managed 3 wins in a group containing Gibraltar and would have been out if they'd lost the last game in Dublin.

They're as benign a top seed as you'll ever get, so if we can't at least contemplate finishing above them, we should probably just jack it altogether.

I still fancy them to win the group though

12 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

They're as benign a top seed as you'll ever get, so if we can't at least contemplate finishing above them, we should probably just jack it altogether.

Absolutely this. It's as good a draw as we could expect without being top seeds ourselves. 

We recently drew with Israel at home and then lost to them away.

We badly struggled away to a C string Czech Republic.

It's easy to pick out individual results and performances to make a case either way.

As a whole however, we failed to top the Nations League group, despite some good performances and results.

I don't doubt we'll have some good results and performances in the world cup qualifying group. I also don't doubt we'll have some shite ones.

We simply are not consistent enough to finish top. I would of course very much enjoy being totally wrong, but I have absolutely no doubts we will not finish top.

On 11/12/2020 at 10:49, DA Baracus said:

We recently drew with Israel at home and then lost to them away.

We badly struggled away to a C string Czech Republic.

It's easy to pick out individual results and performances to make a case either way.

As a whole however, we failed to top the Nations League group, despite some good performances and results.

I don't doubt we'll have some good results and performances in the world cup qualifying group. I also don't doubt we'll have some shite ones.

We simply are not consistent enough to finish top. I would of course very much enjoy being totally wrong, but I have absolutely no doubts we will not finish top.

I’m all for being positive but there’s an incredible level of arrogance among many every time we’re drawn into a qualifying group. We love to bash England fans for it but some of our lot are just as bad.

I remember after Euro 2016 everyone proclaiming how shite Ireland were and that we were much a better team (I was one of them admittedly). Everyone thought we would body Wales home and away when 2014 was drawn. After the 2020 draw many were saying we had an outside chance of challenging Russian for second. We never got close to them.

It’s a very favourable draw and we absolutely should be competing with Denmark (and Austria), but there’s no point in setting unrealistic demands either. History suggests we’ll be in with a shout but have a shiter of a result away from home against one of the lower seeds. Just like Israel last month.

Some people just never learn. We made a lot of progress in the last 6 games with some good performances, but in a group stage format it would have equated to 8 points from 6 games. Alright but hardly top of the table consistency.

13 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Rumours are that the Danish Parliament are to vote on boycotting Qatar 2022 due to concerns over human rights and corruption.

Love the Danes.  I said at the time Uefa should have announced as soon as Qatar got it they wouldn't be taking part and all Uefa countries would be boycotting it.  No Germany, Spain, Italy, England.

They would have moved it within a week.

5 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Can Austria and Israel, just for safety sakes, also announce a boycott?

I would actually be proud as f**k if Scotland qualified for that then said nah we're not going to an authoritarian regime which discriminates against gay people and has used slave labour 500 of whom have died to prepare for this world cup.  Would prefer that to winning it.

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

Rumours are that the Danish Parliament are to vote on boycotting Qatar 2022 due to concerns over human rights and corruption.

Reading the story about that it sounds like one of those things where you can start a petition online and if it gets so many votes it has to be debated in Parliament. If its anything like when that happens in this country then I doubt there's much chance of it passing. I wouldn't get our hopes up. 

3 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I would actually be proud as f**k if Scotland qualified for that then said nah we're not going to an authoritarian regime which discriminates against gay people and has used slave labour 500 of whom have died to prepare for this world cup.  Would prefer that to winning it.

I agree that Qatar hosting the Word Cup doesn’t sit comfortably with most people and for the reasons you have mentioned. 

Mind you, there has been plenty examples of countries with dodgy regimes hosting it in the past. The last two World Cups in Russia and Brazil are good examples.

Scotland of course made clear their dissatisfaction by not qualifying for them.

Further back you can also include the extremely despicable Argentinian junta. They would certainly give the Qatari regime a run for their money in the loathsome stakes. We protested in the best possible manner by putting in an abject display at the tournament.

Mind you, FIFA are as dodgy as they come.  Similar to the International Olympic Committee. As long as there is money involved they don’t particularly give a f**k about anyone else.

Edited by qos_75

A fair few folk booked for £192 and have since been contacted saying the price changed and they need to pay an extra £200 or cancel so you've probably had a lucky escape there. Atlantic Airlines do about 3 flights a day from Copenhagen to the Faroes so if it's tight then you could easily just book the next flight if booking the connections yourself.
Wonky Sheep who do Welsh and Irish trips and look to be starting up doing the same for Scotland are doing a daytrip for it at £319.  I might do that just to save on annual leave.  https://wonkysheep.co.uk/product/faroes-v-scotland-ft/
Faroes is the only trip that lands during school holidays so annual leave isn't an issue! If I'm going to the Faroes, I'd want to see it properly over a couple of days.