World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Em5VjMZXMAIfN5u?format=png&name=900x900

Updated after tonight's results, teams in green cannot move pots. Wouldn't mind UEFA handing Romania the win over Norway and bumping Russia down into pot 3.

Romania will surely get the win, and Russia are miles better than them, so that would definitely be a bonus for us.

Alright, I'm bored.

Going by past encounters, our nightmare group would be:

Italy (one win in eleven games)
Russia (never beaten, unless you count the CIS)
Slovenia (two wins from five)
Kazakhstan (*shudder*)
Moldova (one win in two)

...and similarly, our happy place would consist of:

Denmark (ten wins in sixteen)
Wales (61 wins in 107) 
Albania (two wins in two games)
Latvia (four wins from four)
San Marino (eight games, eight wins)

None of which means much, but I found it interesting. You forget that Denmark were quite shit up to the Eighties.

11 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

0-0 draws with Luxembourg and San Marino to scupper us this time?

Have we ever drawn with San Marino? I swear I remember that happening, but can't see any record of it.

It does seem like the kind of thing we would do...

37 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Have we ever drawn with San Marino? I swear I remember that happening, but can't see any record of it.

We're shite but we're not that shite.

We've never won by less than 2-0 against san Marino, but we've had a few that were deeply unconvincing. They've not scored against us in the 8 times we've faced each other.

IF we beat Israel, then you want either Austria or Wales (assuming they win their nations league group) as your pot 2 side, since they're the two who are ahead of us in the nations league rankings who are least likely to qualify automatically.  Gives you a handy fallback if they finish above you

45 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You made me check...

Nobody has beaten San Marino more times than us. In fairness, nobody has played them more than 8 times.

In 142 World Cup and European Championship qualifiers they have 139 defeats and 3 draws - at home to Turkey in 1993, away in Latvia in 2001 and at home to Estonia in 2014.

In 10 Nations League matches they have 8 defeats and 2 draws (against Liechtenstein and, last night, Gibraltar). 

So they've never won a competitive match.

They have one win in their entire history - 1-0 at home against Liechtenstein in 2004 - and they've scored 7 goals in 13 years.

So obviously there's absolutely no chance Scotland could ever drop points to them...😰

11 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

IF we beat Israel, then you want either Austria or Wales (assuming they win their nations league group) as your pot 2 side, since they're the two who are ahead of us in the nations league rankings who are least likely to qualify automatically.  Gives you a handy fallback if they finish above you

That scenario raises the hypothetical possibility of us needing to chuck a competitive match in order to get a play-off place.

10 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That scenario raises the hypothetical possibility of us needing to chuck a competitive match in order to get a play-off place.

You'd think UEFA would mitigate against that by ensuring Nations League group winners cannot be drawn in the same World Cup section?

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Are you thinking of that game we played in Monaco? That was Estonia we played.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

We're shite but we're not that shite.

We've never won by less than 2-0 against san Marino, but we've had a few that were deeply unconvincing. They've not scored against us in the 8 times we've faced each other.

Challenge accepted!

We’ve drawn a couple of times with The Faroes. Drawn with Luxembourg. San Marino must be due a 0-0 draw.

Edited by Scary Bear

I've got a nagging memory that we drew 0-0 against San Marino, as well as drawing with Luxembourg when they were the worst side in Europe. And drawing with the Faeroes (who, to be fair, have always been capable of taking points off higher-ranked nations). And almost failing to beat Liechtenstein (who have not).

Not sure if it was a dream, or just an assumption that's grown legs over time. Either way, they give me The Fear. Would rather avoid that tricky banana skin, thanks FIFA.

Edit: this is dreadful, we just qualified for a tournament FFS  :lol:

Edited by BFTD

5 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Picking a group I’d take

Denmark
Slovakia
Scotland
Luxembourg
Andorra
San Marino

I just looked at the pots and came up with exactly the same group (without knowing you had posted)

However, we both forgot the golden rule - Scotland will be in same group as Israel

9 minutes ago, G51 said:

People writing off San Marino should be wary.

They just set a national record for most games unbeaten, with two.

* competitive.

Today also marks the one-year anniversary of their last goal. So, a mixed 2020 in the sovereign microstate.