World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Always think I’d rather draw the best team in pot 1 so they skoosh the group and then leave the rest to fight out for second place, so I’ll say the dream group is:

France
ROI
Scotland
Luxembourg
Andorra
Gibraltar

Not for me having the stronger nation as the top seed.

Surely it is better that there are three fairly similar sides fighting it out for two spots (One automatic and one play off).

I think I would like us to have a chance of winning the Group, rather than just accepting you are fighting out with the second seed for the play off. 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Always think I’d rather draw the best team in pot 1 so they skoosh the group and then leave the rest to fight out for second place, so I’ll say the dream group is:

France
ROI
Scotland
Luxembourg
Andorra
Gibraltar

Someone comes out with this nonsense theory every tournament.

You want the weakest possible team in every pot. There is no guarantee they will perform and that makes an extra qualifying/playoff place a possibility.

At least one third seed will probably win the group, no reason why Scotland shouldn't try.

By the same logic, Germany should have battered Ireland and Poland when were in their group but they didn't, they just beat us.

Give us the easiest possible draw, please. Choosing to play someone like France rather than a team such as Denmark is insanity.

I can't believe any but the most negative possible Scotland fan would consider it impossible that we could finish above Denmark. France or Spain? Nah, probably not. Let's get the easiest team, then. Northern Ireland have won a qualifying group fairly recently, if you get a decent draw. It isn't impossible.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Think maybe a five team group would be better for us. We don't have too many troubles against San Marino types, but there are always a Kazakhstan or the likes lurking in that pot and we seem to f**k those sort of matches up much more often that our competitors.

Doesn't a 5 team group mean you get a Kazakhstan but not a San Marino (and the sixth seed results are discounted across the groups)?

Results against sixth placed teams are only discounted for the purposes of calculating which are the best runners up. They aren't excluded when you work out who finishes where in the group itself.

As all the runners up make the playoffs this time, then matches against sixth placed teams aren't discounted at all.

Kazakhstan are projected to be sixth seeds in the list I saw but guessing it could change. I just used them as an example. Pick any other non-San Marino type team that we could drop points against as an alternative.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Sixth seed results are only discounted for the purposes of calculating which are the best runners up. They aren't excluded when you work out who finishes where in the group itself.
As all the runners up make the playoffs this time, then matches against sixth placed teams aren't discounted at all.
Kazakhstan are projected to be sixth seeds in the list I saw but guessing it could change. I just used them as an example. Pick any other non-San Marino type team that we could drop points against as an alternative.

Surely it’s the results against the actual bottom team that are discounted rather than the sixth seed?

Results against sixth placed teams are only discounted for the purposes of calculating which are the best runners up. They aren't excluded when you work out who finishes where in the group itself.
I see. Cheers

Glancing and I think
For us to stay in top 2 best rank---
We must beat Israel
Wales must lose last game
Finland must lose last game 
Want   Austria to lose tonight in Belfast 
Norway v Romania covid cancelled wanted Vikings to lose that.
So clutching at straws  Today has fucked us

Glancing and I think
For us to stay in top 2 best rank---
We must beat Israel
Wales must lose last game
Finland must lose last game 
Want   Austria to lose tonight in Belfast 
Norway v Romania covid cancelled wanted Vikings to lose that.
So clutching at straws  Today has fucked us

Staying in the top two of the League B seeds is optimal but not strictly necessary. If Wales, Russia and Austria are the other group winners and all ahead of us, they’re all pot 2 for the qualifiers so I’d fancy at least two of them to finish top two in their groups - obviously we’ll be in a better position to estimate that after the draw.

The ongoing game to watch out for is Hungary-Serbia. 1-1 at half time, Hungary would go top of their group and edge ahead of us on goal difference with a victory. They’re also pot 3 in the qualifiers. We need Wales to win their group by hook or by crook in their final match against Finland, they can’t both lose as you outline. A draw wins Wales the group, Pot 4 Finland being ahead of us in the queue for a play-off would not be good news - and they’ll have 15 points if they do win the group, the most we can get is 13.

Norway’s game being off is great for us but UEFA haven’t called the game in Romania’s favour as you’d expect yet. An Austria winner in the second half v Northern Ireland would be preferable in case there’s any funny business going on there.

Again, this is only relevant if we win our own group. We’ll have to beat Israel I expect, which we’ve managed once in four attempts, and three at home. I’m not convinced we’ll manage.

Surely it is better that there are three fairly similar sides fighting it out for two spots (One automatic and one play off).
I think I would like us to have a chance of winning the Group, rather than just accepting you are fighting out with the second seed for the play off. 
We said that in 2016 with Germany and it just didn't work

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
3 hours ago, qos_75 said:

We said that in 2016 with Germany and it just didn't work

Germany were the top seed in 2016. I am arguing against playing somebody like Germany, France or Spain.

In recent years, the unlikely qualifiers are coming from groups where the Pot 1/Pot 2 nations have made an arse of it, as much as a Pot 3/Pot 4 have played well.

We’d have fancied our chances in the groups where Northern Ireland, Hungary, Bosnia, and Wales have come from.

We need the worst team in each pot.  We need to be timed with teams going down the rankings.

Slovakia are a likely Pot 2 team, as are Wales and Serbia.

On the other hand you could get Ukraine, Switzerland, Russia, Poland, Sweden, or Austria.  

None of those latter six are bad teams, nor are they doing anything other than getting better right now.

Only Croatia and Denmark look ‘weaker’ from Pot 1, and neither of them have been exactly dreadful of late.

From 4 I’d prefer to avoid Greece and Georgia, and ideally Israel and Slovenia as well.  But if you’re picking nations from 4 to avoid, then we may as well give up now.