Lowland in the Scottish Cup 2020-21

HibeeJibee

29 minutes ago, AlansHotBath said:

My point was that if I was involved with Cumbernauld and was having to go to that game I would rather it was switched

I want doesn’t get.  Anyone would rather play at home,  but you can’t just be awkward and try to force a move that hasn’t happened in decades just cos it’s inconvenient.

In terms of a forced switched nah,  shouldn’t ever happen and I can’t remember any circumstance where it has.  I remember 1 occasion where QOTS were told to play a *home* game vs Ross County at Stirling by the SFL after 2 games were abandoned due to floodlight failure.  

The only other one could be Gretna playing an SPL game at livi,  but I can’t remember if they had any choice in that and they were that fucked they probably didn’t care.  

14 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I want doesn’t get.  Anyone would rather play at home,  but you can’t just be awkward and try to force a move that hasn’t happened in decades just cos it’s inconvenient.

At what point did they try and force a move?

Game fails inspection on Sunday afternoon for Monday. The clubs agree that Wednesday would be the next attempt, with Huntly's statement making it clear it would be at their ground. After that Huntly seem to have concluded their ground won't be playable and have searched out an alternative venue.

I'd guess by the time they come back to Cumbernauld Colts with those options, players have made arrangements to be free for Wednesday and wouldn't have a squad for Monday or Tuesday. That's probably where the offer of switching venues came in, at which point Huntly said no thanks and found an alternative venue for Wednesday.

25 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

At what point did they try and force a move?

Game fails inspection on Sunday afternoon for Monday. The clubs agree that Wednesday would be the next attempt, with Huntly's statement making it clear it would be at their ground. After that Huntly seem to have concluded their ground won't be playable and have searched out an alternative venue.

I'd guess by the time they come back to Cumbernauld Colts with those options, players have made arrangements to be free for Wednesday and wouldn't have a squad for Monday or Tuesday. That's probably where the offer of switching venues came in, at which point Huntly said no thanks and found an alternative venue for Wednesday.

Going to the press and getting a favourable article asking for a switch wasn’t accidental 

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Going to the press and getting a favourable article asking for a switch wasn’t accidental 

Or it was the local press under the Daily Record family of papers, who were doing the typical thing of interviewing a local club about a Scottish Cup tie that had been delayed multiple times already.

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Or it was the local press under the Daily Record family of papers, who were doing the typical thing of interviewing a local club about a Scottish Cup tie that had been delayed multiple times already.

Ok.  So they’ve spoke to local press and got an article arguing for a switch,   Something that would be a very extreme position for the SFA to take given his long it’s been since it was acceptable. Again that wasn’t an accident.  They were looking to play a home tie.  Had they made a soft remark about asking if Huntley could make a similar move as LTHV or Dalbeattie and move the tie to a nearby Astro then it’s different.  ‘Well I guess we get the home game’ isn’t how you build your position on not going to Aberdeen on Tuesday.

9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Ok.  So they’ve spoke to local press and got an article arguing for a switch,   Something that would be a very extreme position for the SFA to take given his long it’s been since it was acceptable. Again that wasn’t an accident.  They were looking to play a home tie.  Had they made a soft remark about asking if Huntley could make a similar move as LTHV or Dalbeattie and move the tie to a nearby Astro then it’s different.  ‘Well I guess we get the home game’ isn’t how you build your position on not going to Aberdeen on Tuesday.

Going by the time stamps on when the article was published (6am Tuesday, tweeted out 2 hours later so it doesn't seem like a defaulted time), the interview would have happened sometime on Monday at the latest.

In the article with Huntly's manager it looks like that interview may have taken place on Tuesday. There is talk of the difficulty in finding an alternative venue due to the weather in the North, and clubs looking to their own interests with games at the weekend. There's also no mention of Cove being available on Wednesday at that point. They're still trying to get Huntly ready while looking for another ground. 

It looks like to me that after the postponement on Sunday, Huntly came to the conclusion to get an alternate venue organised. They then scrambled, couldn't get one for Wednesday, Cumbernauld offered their own in that instance, Huntly say no and scramble some more.

With both teams due to play on Saturday regardless of the cup game result, it seems like Cumbernauld were just trying to get the game played. I don't think it was about getting the home game.

With Cumbernauld Colts losing to Huntly last night it means that all 14 Lowland league teams who entered the cup at the 2nd preliminary round stage have been knocked out. Only Kelty and Bonnyrigg, who entered a round later survive from the league.

Any theories as to why? Luck of the draw? It was thought by many that the Highland clubs would be at a disadvantage having only started their season in late November.  That doesn’t seem to have mattered. Maybe the fact that the Lowland sides had been playing twice a week regularly for the first time has taken it’s toll?

1 hour ago, Strathman said:

With Cumbernauld Colts losing to Huntly last night it means that all 14 Lowland league teams who entered the cup at the 2nd preliminary round stage have been knocked out. Only Kelty and Bonnyrigg, who entered a round later survive from the league.

Any theories as to why? Luck of the draw? It was thought by many that the Highland clubs would be at a disadvantage having only started their season in late November.  That doesn’t seem to have mattered. Maybe the fact that the Lowland sides had been playing twice a week regularly for the first time has taken it’s toll?

Mixed bag really and that's cup football. BSC Glasgow and East Stirlingshire are probably the ones kicking themselves the hardest.

Still Playing  
Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic beat Bo'ness United (LL), due to play Dundee (SPFLC)
Kelty Hearts beat Jeanfield Swifts (EoS Premier), due to play Stranraer (SPFL2)

Beaten by Higher Tier  
Berwick Rangers beat Dunipace (EoS 1st), lost to Stirling Albion (SPFL2)
Caledonian Braves beat Clachnacuddin (HL), lost to Edinburgh City (SPFL2)
Civil Service Strollers beat Blackburn Utd on pens (EoS Premier), lost to Elgin City (SPFL2)
Gala Fairydean Rovers beat Wigtown & Bladnoch (SoS), lost to Annan Athletic (SPFL2)
The Spartans beat East Kilbride (LL), lost to Stranraer (SPFL2)

Beaten by Same Tier  
Bo'ness United beat Coldstream (EoS 1st), lost to Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic (LL)
Cumbernauld Colts beat Tynecastle (EoS Premier), lost to Huntly (HL)
Dalbeattie Star lost to Huntly (HL)
East Kilbride lost to Spartans (LL)

Beaten by Lower Tier  
BSC Glasgow lost to Haddington Athletic (EoS 1st)
East Stirlingshire beat Inveurie Locos (HL), lost to Tranent (EoS Premier)
Edinburgh University lost to Tranent (EoS Premier)
University of Stirling lost to Jeanfield Swifts (EoS Premier)
Vale of Leithen lost to Banks O'Dee (SJFA)

2 hours ago, Strathman said:

Probably more luck of the draw.

• Fraserburgh only entered in the first round and played Rothes.
  • Buckie got Strathspey and Albion Rovers.
  • Keith and Nairn got lower opposition at home (FW and Threave) then two EOS teams at home whose form hasn't been as good as last season
  • Formartine played Turriff and EOS tier 7 Haddington
  • Huntly got two home games against lower end LL, Dalbeattie and Cumbernauld

You do have to take into account Tranent and Linlithgow though, they are basically top half LL teams in the EOS.

Edited by Ginaro

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

Based on..........

Based on the fact that Tranent beat East Stirlingshire, Linlithgow beat Brechin, and Jeanfield who are also in the top 3 of the EOS, ran Kelty close and have won against Caley Braves and UoS.

Edited by Ginaro

6 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Based on the fact that Tranent beat East Stirlingshire, Linlithgow beat Brechin, and Jeanfield who are also in the top 3 of the EOS, ran Kelty close and have won against Caley Braves and UoS.

Those are one off games though. Being a top half LL side is getting a little bit too crowded to be true these days. Kelty, BSC, East Kilbride, Bonnyrigg, East Stirlingshire, and Bo'ness are taking 6/8 spots. Then there's the middle tier LL that will be trying to keep up.

Still, the previous three teams promoted from the EOS, are among that elite six, and cup results help show that the current top teams hold a similar standard. Clearly the top EOS teams are better than about half the SLFL teams.

9 hours ago, lowenan said:

Still, the previous three teams promoted from the EOS, are among that elite six, and cup results help show that the current top teams hold a similar standard. Clearly the top EOS teams are better than about half the SLFL teams.

I don't think being better than about half the LL teams is in doubt, it's just the bottom half not top.

What the last 3 EoS champions have achieved so far isn't neccessarily replicable. There's a bottleneck at the top of the LL with those that came before are still there. You're also likely to get diminishing returns from EoS champions anyway since there's a reason the likes of Bonnyrigg and Bo'ness were able to get promoted before them.