Common foods that you hate

Foie Gras can get in the bin, I've never eaten it because of how its made.  Lobster I'm ok with as long as its stabbed in the head and not boiled alive.  I'm of the opinion that we should assume they can feel pain.  Veal is a funny one, because Veal crates have created the image of cruelty.  But they have not been used for years.  Most calfs are slaughtered about the same age as pigs or lambs.  Also it's just a huge by product of the dairy industry.  I don't understand people that clutch pearls about veal while chugging down milk and eating chicken which has lived at best 7 weeks.

I think it's important to see how most animals we eat are raised and slaughtered.  I'm not talking about the leaked videos of staff abusing animals that make the news etc.  Just read up on how old the animals you eat are when its on your plate.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

On bananas, it’s mostly the texture of them which I can’t go. Mushy and stringy at the same time, it’s just repulsive.

Problem I have with bananas is finding one in what I consider an edible stage of ripeness. Either under ripe and green  or over ripe and mushy, either condition is repulsive.

20 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

The only things I can think of are butter beans, marzipan and sweetbreads. Everything else is absolutely tremendous.

I forgot about them.

I dislike Melon (don't mind watermelon) and Grapefruit. 

4 hours ago, sugna said:

This is an excellent thread. Amazing how much we vary in our tastes.

I was a very picky eater growing up. On a family holiday, the hotel chef was in the class of Aunt Dahlia's Anatole; but his dishes almost exclusively featured some variant of a tomato-based sauce. Epicurean delight for everyone else; hurling fodder for me. I had a plate of butterbeans for at least 10 evening meals in the fortnight.

When I was 20, I weaned myself onto all kinds of cooked tomato flavour, using my arch-enemy: consistent retch-inducing tomato ketchup. I did it in a very deliberate, militaristic way.

Cooked 6 Iceland basic fishcakes, cut each fishcake into 6 pieces, put brown sauce on 12 pieces from 2 of the fishcakes, then the same with salad cream and ketchup. Made a pot of tea, then just munched my way through them in rotation: brown, salad cream, ketchup, brown, salad cream, ketchup. Got through the plateful, and have never looked back. Now I love cooked-tomato-based dishes, and will routinely cook with them.

Always enjoyed raw tomatoes, and still eat them surreptitiously when I'm supposed to be bringing some in from the greenhouse. So sweet when they're just picked.

Nowadays there's no actual foodstuff that I would balk at, and pretty much none that I don't actively like (at least a bit). From the thread so far, the closest I could come to concurring would be on eggplant aubergine and foie gras.

I read this post as if it was a deleted scene from American Psycho

11 hours ago, Eednud said:

Vegemite and any similar mite shite.
Eggplant might look good but that’s all you should do with them.
Offal.

I'm sure marmite and vegemite are the same just called vegemite for the aussies for some reason. 

Eggplant is good if you heat up some canola oil and fry some scallions before adding eggplant and zucchini, then garnish with chopped cilantro. Wooooooh. 

4 hours ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

Mushrooms (only really ever tried the standard breakfast one, I'd be open to trying other variants) and Honey.

Can't think of anything else I don't like.

Other variants like these boys. Try to avoid the ones with nematodes. 

Psilocybe_semilanceata_6514.thumb.jpg.b604318f64823e3932265ff93e245e62.jpg