The Official Farewell to President Donald J Trump Thread

NotThePars

On 20/01/2021 at 16:40, GordonS said:

America isn't actually a real place, is it? It's a TV show, surely.

Batshit crazy rendition of a national anthem there.

You can decide for yourself whether it was it's madness or not, but there was definitely method in it

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You can decide for yourself whether it was it's madness or not, but there was definitely method in it

Yeah, that's what I meant...

I just find it weird how showy and performative they are with their national anthem, it comes across as a bit egotistical, but each to their own. Putting that amount of innovation and complexity into it makes it more about the singer than the purpose of the song.

ETA - also, there's so much great stuff on YouTube. I'm not remotely musical but I love videos like that.

Edited by GordonS

39 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Yeah, that's what I meant...

I just find it weird how showy and performative they are with their national anthem, it comes across as a bit egotistical, but each to their own. Putting that amount of innovation and complexity into it makes it more about the singer than the purpose of the song.

ETA - also, there's so much great stuff on YouTube. I'm not remotely musical but I love videos like that.

It's a weird anthem in general, partly because the highest and lowest notes are so far apart and there are so many big jumps that even good singers sometimes struggle with it. 

Say what you like about "Flower of Scotland" and "God save the Queen" but at least they're easy.

I genuinely thought there must be something called a "donderly light" when I was a wean.

National anthems are generally shit. We should nick Ghost Town off the Irish.

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's a weird anthem in general, partly because the highest and lowest notes are so far apart and there are so many big jumps that even good singers sometimes struggle with it. 

Say what you like about "Flower of Scotland" and "God save the Queen" but at least they're easy.

I have trouble learning the words to God Save the Queen.

I'm sure it can't be right, but the second line always sounds to me like it says BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I have trouble learning the words to God Save the Queen.

I'm sure it can't be right, but the second line always sounds to me like it says BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

You are almost correct.

I think you'll find the line is booooo f****** booooo 

copyright F MacAulay 

You are almost correct.
I think you'll find the line is booooo f****** booooo 
copyright F MacAulay 

Followed on occasion with a shot of “YA FUCKING c***s.”

19 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I’m going to put it out there, The Star Spangled Banner is an excellent national anthem.

Most anthems are awful.  The US anthem is a decent anthem.  Similarly France, Germany and Russia.  Maybe Canada and Italy too.

Then again if you live in America you hear it almost every day.  I remember going to a baseball game in Chicago.  I was about to pay for something in the gift shop when suddenly the national anthem started.  It was like something from Stepford Wives.  They all placed their hand over their hearts  and sang the anthem with gusto.  Then it finished and normal life resumed.