East Fife vs Dumbarton

Ryan Wallace’s finish was probably the one piece of quality during the 90 minutes. Dunsmore missed a snip of a chance after decent build up play. East Fife looked nervy at the start of the 2nd half and had several scares before we gave away our weekly gift. The foul that led to the free kick for Dumbartons goal was debatable. Credit the East Fife players because when Dumbarton equalised I feared the worst. However we showed a bit of character to dig out a much needed 3 points. It’s a start but still a lot of room for improvement.

58 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Interested to hear @Jan Vojáček’s take on the disallowed goals. Did we miss something on the stream?

The general consensus between Gary Naysmith and the other media folk was that there didn't look to be much wrong with either goal. With every free kick like that you could award a free kick or penalty either way. I've just seen Frizzell's back on the GoalCam and it looks like Neill and a defender brush by each other, the defender goes down and the referee blows as Frizzell scores. Looked very little in it. I've not seen the second yet because Jan Jr isn't at that stage editing it yet.

Anyone remember a game where we've had three goals disallowed before? 

On the positive side we created plenty of chances. Keep that up and the referees will let us have a few goals.

6 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

No comments made about the foul on Carswell that injured him?

Looked a stonewall foul against EF yet went against us.

That was absolutely bizarre. I just assumed it was a free-kick to us. Duffy is rarely one to have a go at officials, but he was not happy with that bloke today.

On the positive side, if these things even themselves up over a season then we're due a big chunk of good luck.

Delighted with Jaime Wilson too. He must be a horrid guy to play against. We lost all our threwt when he was moved wide. He looks a gem based on what I've seen so far.

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The general consensus between Gary Naysmith and the other media folk was that there didn't look to be much wrong with either goal.

Fair play to Naysmith. Although, admittedly, it is easier to say that when you win!

Very frustrating day at the office, especially having to wait so long to make up for it.

10 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Fair play to Naysmith. Although, admittedly, it is easier to say that when you win!

Very frustrating day at the office, especially having to wait so long to make up for it.

Not sure what connection he has to EF now except being the former manager? But yeah, he will probably still have been biased towards them winning.

6 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Not sure what connection he has to EF now except being the former manager? But yeah, he will probably still have been biased towards them winning.

My mistake, I was thinking he was still manager when reading Jan’s post 😂

Edited by FifeSons

3 hours ago, troy said:

Why has Brett Long been dropped.? Jordan Hart has been stuck to his line. How many goals were disallowed all from cross balls. 

Are you conveniently forgetting the two corners he claimed in the first half and at least one cross from open play in the second?

As for the goal it looked to me like he was trying to catch the free-kick rather than punch it, but had to let go because his momentum put him behind the line.

If you are expecting him to come for those two in-swinging free-kicks to the back post then the defensive line needs to start further out to give him space. 

As for the disallowed goals from the free-kicks, the ref blew early on both of them. The offside goal was.... offside. 

Just now, 7 Eleven said:

Are you conveniently forgetting the two corners he claimed in the first half and at least one cross from open play in the second?

As for the goal it looked to me like he was trying to catch the free-kick rather than punch it, but had to let go because his momentum put him behind the line.

If you are expecting him to come for those two in-swinging free-kicks to the back post then the defensive line needs to start further out to give him space. 

As for the disallowed goals from the free-kicks, the ref blew early on both of them. The offside goal was.... offside. 

He actually only blew for the second as the ball went underneath Hart. I've just watched it back on the Goal Cam.

I'll let everyone make their own minds up when it goes live tomorrow. But both looked like they could be given either way at every dead ball situation. I think Sons are well within their rights to feel aggrieved. 

Was the winner onside does anyone know? Duffy said afterwards that the players were convinced Wallace was offside but I was at totally the wrong side to see.

14 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He actually only blew for the second as the ball went underneath Hart. I've just watched it back on the Goal Cam.

I'll let everyone make their own minds up when it goes live tomorrow. But both looked like they could be given either way at every dead ball situation. I think Sons are well within their rights to feel aggrieved. 

Was the winner onside does anyone know? Duffy said afterwards that the players were convinced Wallace was offside but I was at totally the wrong side to see.

Stevie Hislop said after seeing a replay of East Fife’s 2nd goal that Dumbarton full back played Wallace on 

Just a game full of nerves but glad we won our first game which is a start I suppose and we rode our luck at times even when the referee blew for their two disallowed goals which would have went against us. But we now turn our attention to the league cup next?

though I liked the look of your number 14 was it Jamie Wilson? looked a threat and Forbes from dead balls I had heart in mouth moments until the equaliser went in but I’m sure you will do ok than I was expecting you’ll be though.

Edited by Cambuslang Fifer

1 minute ago, fifer67 said:

Stevie Hislop said after seeing a replay of East Fife’s 2nd goal that Dumbarton full back played Wallace on 

I thought from the GoPro that Chris Hamilton looked a wee bit deep, so if he was on he would've been that full-back. Lovely finish from that angle.

37 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I thought from the GoPro that Chris Hamilton looked a wee bit deep, so if he was on he would've been that full-back. Lovely finish from that angle.

Another point against Hamilton for me. I'm not saying he has been poor but haven't seen anything above a 6/10 (imo) since the Clyde Cup game. A few others, yourself included, seem to have been impressed but I just think he has been okay and actually poor when moved to the back today following Quitongo coming off. I appreciate he hasn't yet played in his "natural position" but I haven't rated too much of what he has done so far. Wouldn't mind seeing young Reilly get a chance.

Also worth noting that Forbes hasn't been offering enough. He did improve as the game went on today but I still don't think he is giving us enough, especially from set piece deliveries and direct free kicks. Of course I am of this opinion due to him setting his own high standards...

2 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

Another point against Hamilton for me. I'm not saying he has been poor but haven't seen anything above a 6/10 (imo) since the Clyde Cup game. A few others, yourself included, seem to have been impressed but I just think he has been okay and actually poor when moved to the back today following Quitongo coming off. I appreciate he hasn't yet played in his "natural position" but I haven't rated too much of what he has done so far. Wouldn't mind seeing young Reilly get a chance.

Also worth noting that Forbes hasn't been offering enough. He did improve as the game went on today but I still don't think he is giving us enough, especially from set piece deliveries and direct free kicks. Of course I am of this opinion due to him setting his own high standards...

I've only seen Hamilton three times in person, but today was by far his poorest game for us. In saying that he was excellent against Clyde, excellent against Airdrie last week (as the whole team were to be fair) and still looked a threat today when he went forward. The changes in formation and personnel when Rico went off really nullified our attacking threat at a time where we were dominating. East Fife's defenders just didn't look like they enjoyed dealing with Wilson, Frizzell and Hamilton getting at them with a bit of pace, bite and some sharp footwork. As soon as we moved folk about they looked comfortable enough, and Hamilton struggled at full-back - although granted it was his wrong side and not in his natural position.

Based on the stream on Tuesday it looked like he did well enough that night too, so for a 19-year-old centre-half playing on left-wing I'm not sure how much more we could ask for. I certainly think we missed him (and Wilson obviously, who had just signed) against Forfar on the opening day, and I didn't see much from Reilly that day to suggest he's much of a better option. He'll get a chance on Tuesday night though with Hamilton suspended. That's a golden opportunity for him to win a spot in the team. Based on today though I wouldn't be changing too much going forward, our issues were mainly at the back.

On Forbes, I was speaking to Graeme Robertson at full-time about him, and he posed a good question. Ross Forbes was arguably main attacking threat, played a huge part in the goal and - on another day with a bit more fortune...and a longer neck - could've had a hat-trick and set up three. But did he play well?

He's always been a player who takes time to get up to speed, but given he hit the bar with a free-kick today (which we then scored from) and set up two disallowed goals from free-kicks, it does feel like he's slowly getting his dead ball eye back in. He also grazed the post with one a few minutes before our equaliser. I think he needs more games. But I also don't think he could complain if Duffy dropped him for Crossan when he's back fit. As it is, the idea of Crossan and Hamilton wide with Frizzell and Wilson in the middle is one that really excites me. Whether or not it would actually work in practice remains to be seen though.