East Fife vs Dumbarton

All very quiet in the East of Fife regarding this one. I reckon most would probably have had these teams in opposite positions coming into this one, so it's perhaps understandable the Fifers aren't shouting much given their poor start. They looked to have signed well in the summer but maybe just taking some time for it to come together, here's hoping it takes you at least another week!

I believe we have Denny Johnstone back this weekend, but I expect he'll take a seat on the bench. Frizzell and Wilson were excellent on Tuesday until they both tired in the second half but I thought their movement and understanding was great for two players who had just met. I was reading the East Fife thread where there are some comments about them being lightweight in midfield, so hopefully Wedderburn and Carswell can get their foot in early and control the centre of the park again. 

Even with East Fife's poor start, I'd be happy with a point here, and if we an rack up another clean sheet that'll do for me.

Streaming for tomorrow is from the excellent EFTV, which I'm looking forward to - www.eftv.info

Interesting game and it feels like a fairly big test for both teams already. Like Moonster says, most people would probably have had these two clubs in the reverse of the positions they're in at the moment (or at least closer to them). So for us this feels like the kind of game where we either find out our poor start to the season is a sign of things to come or maybe it's just a bit of an aberration and we can kick on from here.

Week number 4 of fixtures and Dumbarton vist  methil docks with no conceded a goal and are 3rd in league standings! As for us can we win our first game since beating Cowdenbeath in the bookmakers cup.
Will Swanson return I would go for Dunsmore and keep LW and play same back line.

Let’s hope we can win and climb the table that is easy to write this, just need to get past a inform sons team.

Our OS confirming that Denny Johnstone and Domhnall Moireasdan are back in the squad but PJ Crossan, Stef McCluskey and Wallace Smith are all out. I reckon wee PJ is going to struggle getting back into the side, I wouldn't be dropping Hamilton or Forbes based on the last couple of games.

Our OS confirming that Denny Johnstone and Domhnall Moireasdan are back in the squad but PJ Crossan, Stef McCluskey and Wallace Smith are all out. I reckon wee PJ is going to struggle getting back into the side, I wouldn't be dropping Hamilton or Forbes based on the last couple of games.

Still not impressed with Forbes and honestly I think he’s been a weak like in the past couple of games. My opinion keeps changing to what formation suits us best every game but right now I’m like the idea of 4-4-2 with Frizzell and Hamilton out wide and Wilson and Johnston up front.

It’s also becoming more and more apparent that Jones is miles away from the level required. On his day he’ll score a header and win some useful flick ons but his on the ball ability really is way below League 1 standard.

Actually wouldn’t mind Pj upfront next to Johnston or Wilson.

2 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Still not impressed with Forbes and honestly I think he’s been a weak like in the past couple of games. My opinion keeps changing to what formation suits us best every game but right now I’m like the idea of 4-4-2 with Frizzell and Hamilton out wide and Wilson and Johnston up front.

It’s also becoming more and more apparent that Jones is miles away from the level required. On his day he’ll score a header and win some useful flick ons but his on the ball ability really is way below League 1 standard.

Actually wouldn’t mind Pj upfront next to Johnston or Wilson.

I thought Forbes was good against Clyde and to be honest I think we need his set pieces as nobody else can deliver a ball like him (although I concede he made a mess of at least two set pieces on Tuesday). We've not really seen McGeever or Neill threaten the goal yet and I think that should be something we work, especially for tomorrow as East Fife are notoriously shite at corners.

I know PJ wants to play up front but I don't actually think he's that good at it. He started up front against Dunfermline and did nothing until Johnstone came on and he was moved out left, at which point he cut inside and smashed one off the bar. I think we've got to let Frizzell and Wilson play another couple of games together up there and see how it grows, they had a really good understanding and both are wee busy players, it's a nightmare for defences. I do think Johnstone has something to offer us though, I wouldn't be against him starting up front with Wilson and Frizz moving wide.

Totally agree on Jones, I don't want to keep putting the boot into him as it's not his fault he's being asked to lead the line at this level and he seems a decent big guy with a sense of humour, but he's not good enough. It was extremely lazy of Duffy to keep him on.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

All very quiet in the East of Fife regarding this one. I reckon most would probably have had these teams in opposite positions coming into this one, so it's perhaps understandable the Fifers aren't shouting much given their poor start. They looked to have signed well in the summer but maybe just taking some time for it to come together, here's hoping it takes you at least another week!

I believe we have Denny Johnstone back this weekend, but I expect he'll take a seat on the bench. Frizzell and Wilson were excellent on Tuesday until they both tired in the second half but I thought their movement and understanding was great for two players who had just met. I was reading the East Fife thread where there are some comments about them being lightweight in midfield, so hopefully Wedderburn and Carswell can get their foot in early and control the centre of the park again. 

Even with East Fife's poor start, I'd be happy with a point here, and if we an rack up another clean sheet that'll do for me.

Streaming for tomorrow is from the excellent EFTV, which I'm looking forward to - www.eftv.info

I'd be very careful with the 'poor start' they have made.They lost to COVE and Falkirk(both away) ...no doubt the top 2 teams in the league while drawing with a very good Montrose side.EF will pick up points and I hate to say it but starting with us.They were a great footballing side last season and have players that can hurt you.They may miss Dowds who I always liked but they have Danny Swanson, a guy who could still play in the PL IMO.

Would gladly settle for a draw

59 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

I'd be very careful with the 'poor start' they have made.They lost to COVE and Falkirk(both away) ...no doubt the top 2 teams in the league while drawing with a very good Montrose side.EF will pick up points and I hate to say it but starting with us.They were a great footballing side last season and have players that can hurt you.They may miss Dowds who I always liked but they have Danny Swanson, a guy who could still play in the PL IMO.

Would gladly settle for a draw

I'm happy with a point too, I think that suggests I know East Fife are still dangerous.

Dumbarton will come into the game full of confidence. While East Fife will be wondering where the next victory is coming from. Big contrast in defences Dumbarton never conceded a goal while we have lost 7 . Darren Young will have more options tomorrow with probably only Danny Swanson doubtful. The players will know a loss tomorrow could leave us detached at the bottom. Our home form has been decent of late but with our defensive lapses we always need to score a few to get a victory. I can see a high scoring game and only hope we can score one more than Dumbarton. We really need to get the points tomorrow to get back amongst the pack. 

4 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

Dumbarton will come into the game full of confidence. While East Fife will be wondering where the next victory is coming from. Big contrast in defences Dumbarton never conceded a goal while we have lost 7 . Darren Young will have more options tomorrow with probably only Danny Swanson doubtful. The players will know a loss tomorrow could leave us detached at the bottom. Our home form has been decent of late but with our defensive lapses we always need to score a few to get a victory. I can see a high scoring game and only hope we can score one more than Dumbarton. We really need to get the points tomorrow to get back amongst the pack. 

TBH I think you will.I know the season has just started and the players are fresh and raring to go BUT playing a midweek game takes its toll on part-time players.I know it sounds a lame, tired excuse but I think its valid.Some of our players looked well knackered at the end of the game as Clyde pushed us hard in the second half.Wilson looked done when he was subbed.Had we scored 3 in the first half, whuich was possible, then the second half might have been a stroll.That wasn't the case and with players still out we will be going with almost the same 11.

Crazy that this is a must win 3 games into the season but so it is. I'll be able to catch this one so quite looking forward to it, Dumbarton have started this season really well and as much as we've played 3 very decent sides, we've looked pretty poor overall so I am a bit worried. That being said, things can change very quickly and here's hoping that's the case with 3 points in the bag this time tomorrow. 

We need to take something from this after a pretty disappointing start to the season. Saying that, we have played arguably 3 of the 4 strongest sides in the league so we should now hopefully start to pick up points. Dumbarton will be buoyed by their win during the week against the massive club that is Clyde though.

The 4am kick offs are not good for me but should be able to catch us vs Hearts on Wednesday morning.