Gaming/office chairs

Miguel Sanchez

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 06/11/2020 at 15:31, BFTD said:

I got one of these for £140 a few years ago. They've updated the listing to the latest model - mine didn't have that weird-looking footrest. The old one also had better reviews, presumably from people who hadn't had it for long. It was incredibly shit; had it for about a year before the padding flattened to the point that the seat was uncomfortable, and the metal structure started to bend to the side. It's supposed to be for fatties of up to 20st, but it certainly couldn't cope with my 17st frame.

My best luck has been with second-hand office chairs. They don't look flashy, but they're built to last, and offices are always chucking out perfectly good ones because management have decided it's time to redecorate. Managed to get one from a clothing store chain that was closing down; the manager had managed to wangle himself a £2000 designer executive computer chair and it was going into a skip. No wonder they went bust  :blink:

It's really helpful for me. Thanks for the contribution.

Edited by Georgesmith12

• 1 month later...
On 15/11/2020 at 19:43, Lofarl said:

https://secretlab.co.uk/collections/neue

I bought this.  Then decided to get the headrest which was a right faff because you couldnt just order it.  I had to go to customer support.  So if you were buying this chair.  Buy it all at once.  It is just a Herman Miller Aereon rip off.  But those are a £1500 chair.  I've sat in both.  This is just as comfy.  It has that float feel so you dont feel any pressure anywhere.  This will last me years.

10 months later….

EF49A481-D19B-4595-A886-29D32C2D1954.jpeg

I should add that all that went wrong with this chair was the left armrest broke.  It actually has quite a shitty mechanism.  It pops into groves on the armrest held probably with a little tab of plastic.  So it was awkward as f**k to get the armrests to the exact positon.  And eventually after leaning on the armrest, like you may well be right now it just broke.  

I could understand if I was an office worker or a right fat chunky b*****d.   Or a fat chunky office worker.   But I weigh 12 stone and I use this chair at most 4 hours a day.  So yeah I feel pretty pissed that a chair that I have sunk over £500 in has done this.

Also f**k Secretlab who I bought it from.  First I make a claim.  Email back, show us a picture.  Ok there is a picture.  Nice, show us a video of it not being an armrest.  Ok here is a video of a broken armrest.  Ok we will send out a chair frame, do you have a pipe wrench and super human strength to remove a chair from it's piston?  No.  Aye sure you do, we will send out the chair.  3 weeks later, hey any sign of that chair btw?  Oh f**k that's right.

So now I have two chairs that come in stupid huge boxes.  And guess what I can't remove the piston from the chair.  See that pointy bit on the chair on the bed?  Yeah two pipe wrenches and hitting it with a fucking hammer because f**k it I am fucking done won't budge it.  So I have sent a begging letter for the replacement wheelbase section so I can have a working chair.  F**k all this.  Lucky I have space in my garage for this shite.  But people should not be expected to do this kind of repair work.  You wouldn't go to a garage with a faulty exhaust and be sent home with a spare and a instruction video.  I spent over £500 on this.

244799125_177342034583427_4837502128292318136_n.jpg

Edited by Lofarl

10 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

That looks unfortunate. I hope you weren't sitting in it at the time.

After this is done I am fucking getting one of those Herman Miller chairs.  I won about 1k gambling in the last week.  They are stupid expensive but I bet if it fucks up I wont be waiting 3 weeks and counting for them to fucking fix it.

Also I should post more bookie tips here.

• 1 month later...
On 13/10/2021 at 21:43, Lofarl said:

After this is done I am fucking getting one of those Herman Miller chairs.  I won about 1k gambling in the last week.  They are stupid expensive but I bet if it fucks up I wont be waiting 3 weeks and counting for them to fucking fix it.

Also I should post more bookie tips here.

I bloody well meant it.  This fucking better last me years.  It was on sale.  A steal at only £945.20.  As opposed to the £1125 it usually is.  

You can try them in John Lewis.  That’s the problem with chairs from the likes of secretlab and other e-tailers.  You can’t sit on them until you buy it and then it’s a faff if you don’t want it.

C5747DAF-4501-4673-A790-47A4D3BC9A16.jpeg

Office chairs are a fucking nightmare. I spent £200 on one for the wean a few years back and it lasted just over the length of the warranty (1 year) before falling apart. The mark-up on those £1000+ ones must be incredible. Maybe because they know businesses will write them off as a necessary expense?

Think I'll try one of those sites that does quality used ones instead of wasting another couple of hundred for something that isn't made to last.

• 1 month later...

Over a month later and I can honestly say this chair is amazing.  I am not joking when I say I have had pain in my lower back since March.  Like everyone I'd get back pain and it would go away.  But it stuck.  Always had this stiffness like my lower back was needing to stretch.  So I'd do stretches.  Didn't really help.  As I have mentioned I am not an office worker.  I'd sit in my pc chair a few hours a night and perhaps that was the issue.  But this chair has solved it.  It's the recline function.

• 1 month later...
On 30/12/2021 at 20:34, Lofarl said:

Over a month later and I can honestly say this chair is amazing.  I am not joking when I say I have had pain in my lower back since March.  Like everyone I'd get back pain and it would go away.  But it stuck.  Always had this stiffness like my lower back was needing to stretch.  So I'd do stretches.  Didn't really help.  As I have mentioned I am not an office worker.  I'd sit in my pc chair a few hours a night and perhaps that was the issue.  But this chair has solved it.  It's the recline function.

Sorry to hear about your chair issues, although it did give me a laugh! I know it’s only a few months later but how is your Herman Miller holding up? Strongly considering getting one (possibly used/refurbished) as my current chair is absolutely wreaking havoc with my back and the cushion is particularly uncomfortable after a while. I’ve considered one for a while but I’ve managed to set aside some money that’d cover the cost and feel it may be time to go for it.

40 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Sorry to hear about your chair issues, although it did give me a laugh! I know it’s only a few months later but how is your Herman Miller holding up? Strongly considering getting one (possibly used/refurbished) as my current chair is absolutely wreaking havoc with my back and the cushion is particularly uncomfortable after a while. I’ve considered one for a while but I’ve managed to set aside some money that’d cover the cost and feel it may be time to go for it.

It's a chair that you really need to try before you get one.  It is a lot of money after all.  If you can get the chance to try one before you buy I'd do that.  The only place I know that you can try them is John Lewis.  It was definitely something I hummed and hawed over for quite some time.  I have the other Neuechair in the spare room and the contrast is night and day.  If I spend any time on the Herman and just sit on the Neuechair it's noticeably uncomfortable.

There is something so springy and supporting about the mesh.  You feel supported, almost cradled in it, as opposed to feeling like you are sitting on something.  The only thing I sometimes miss is a head rest.  But I know you can buy a aftermarket one.  Might do that at some point.  The other thing I find useless is the forward tilt thing.  Perhaps it's useful for office work.  But pretty useless for my needs.  Sitting in my trackie bottoms, drinking beer and watching shite on youtube.  Another few points which may sound minor but are really noticeable is how smooth the wheels and spin motion is.  That and how quiet it is.  Chairs tend to make creaking noises when you recline or adjust your weight in them.  Not with this.

My back still thanks me for this purchase.  It's only been four months, but you can tell it's got real solid build quality.  They come with a twelve year warranty and cost about £1200.  So if you frame it as £100 a year for decent comfort.  It doesn't sound as bad.  Well that's what I tell myself anyway.