Gaming/office chairs

Miguel Sanchez

I got one of these for £140 a few years ago. They've updated the listing to the latest model - mine didn't have that weird-looking footrest. The old one also had better reviews, presumably from people who hadn't had it for long. It was incredibly shit; had it for about a year before the padding flattened to the point that the seat was uncomfortable, and the metal structure started to bend to the side. It's supposed to be for fatties of up to 20st, but it certainly couldn't cope with my 17st frame.

My best luck has been with second-hand office chairs. They don't look flashy, but they're built to last, and offices are always chucking out perfectly good ones because management have decided it's time to redecorate. Managed to get one from a clothing store chain that was closing down; the manager had managed to wangle himself a £2000 designer executive computer chair and it was going into a skip. No wonder they went bust  :blink:

6 hours ago, Lofarl said:

https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/ergonomic-chair

I was looking at these but just yesterday I got a neuechair.  But that’s a £500 chair.

You can get chairs easy enough on Amazon.  But as I found out last year, you get what you pay for with them.

The sag and the broken wheel on the one I got from Amazon in January 2018 agrees with that sentiment. I'm also pretty sure it was a return or used somehow, the bits connecting the seat and the back had some scratches on them.

4 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I got one of these for £140 a few years ago. They've updated the listing to the latest model - mine didn't have that weird-looking footrest. The old one also had better reviews, presumably from people who hadn't had it for long. It was incredibly shit; had it for about a year before the padding flattened to the point that the seat was uncomfortable, and the metal structure started to bend to the side. It's supposed to be for fatties of up to 20st, but it certainly couldn't cope with my 17st frame.

My best luck has been with second-hand office chairs. They don't look flashy, but they're built to last, and offices are always chucking out perfectly good ones because management have decided it's time to redecorate. Managed to get one from a clothing store chain that was closing down; the manager had managed to wangle himself a £2000 designer executive computer chair and it was going into a skip. No wonder they went bust  :blink:

That's a nice Atletico Madrid chair you've got there Dave. I was having a look on Amazon last night and, same as above, there seems to be a bunch of identical looking chairs from lots of different sellers with varying degrees of command of the English language on the product page. f**k knows where I'm getting a second hand office chair with people working from home though.

On 06/11/2020 at 15:30, Miguel Sanchez said:

The sag and the broken wheel on the one I got from Amazon in January 2018 agrees with that sentiment. I'm also pretty sure it was a return or used somehow, the bits connecting the seat and the back had some scratches on them.

That's a nice Atletico Madrid chair you've got there Dave. I was having a look on Amazon last night and, same as above, there seems to be a bunch of identical looking chairs from lots of different sellers with varying degrees of command of the English language on the product page. f**k knows where I'm getting a second hand office chair with people working from home though.

As Dave said, you get what you pay for. I bought a relatively cheap gaming one a couple of years ago. Its been fine but now Im working from home Im finding it a little uncomfortable to be sat in all day.

You'll get something reasonable for £200 but nothing special. Overclockers have some at around that price and some decent looking options if you can stretch the budget a little

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gaming/gaming-chairs?gclid=CjwKCAiAqJn9BRB0EiwAJ1SztW-op47kCMfGRIFQyYYd_AspVz9pU79Jorg8pVLkm12x5zyv0WCnjhoCtngQAvD_BwE

On 06/11/2020 at 15:30, Miguel Sanchez said:

Mine didn't have the badge; I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly swayed by the colour scheme, however. Much like Alloa last night, it fell apart towards the end. Ho ho.

This might be a good time for getting hold of used office equipment, actually. Must be loads of businesses shuttering right now. Slightly concerned that I'm turning Tory for thinking that.

22 minutes ago, keithgy said:

Yeah

Does that mean I get discount?

Seriously though, I've been looking at their website since I made this thread trying to convince myself to not buy one of the Sport chairs. A couple of people I follow on youtube have GT Omega stuff and it seems ideal. You wouldn't know if they're planning a Black Friday sale in a few weeks, would you?

9 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Does that mean I get discount?

Seriously though, I've been looking at their website since I made this thread trying to convince myself to not buy one of the Sport chairs. A couple of people I follow on youtube have GT Omega stuff and it seems ideal. You wouldn't know if they're planning a Black Friday sale in a few weeks, would you?

I will give him a shout and ask him.

On 07/11/2020 at 20:01, Ludo*1 said:

Sorry, but when you say you never followed up on it, do you mean that you ordered a chair and just decided to keep the piece of carpentry equipment they sent you instead?  :lol:

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Sorry, but when you say you never followed up on it, do you mean that you ordered a chair and just decided to keep the piece of carpentry equipment they sent you instead?  :lol:

No, I returned it! I just decided to not purchase a chair thereafter.

https://secretlab.co.uk/collections/neue

I bought this.  Then decided to get the headrest which was a right faff because you couldnt just order it.  I had to go to customer support.  So if you were buying this chair.  Buy it all at once.  It is just a Herman Miller Aereon rip off.  But those are a £1500 chair.  I've sat in both.  This is just as comfy.  It has that float feel so you dont feel any pressure anywhere.  This will last me years.

Sorry to disappoint the bots, but I've gone for the GT Omega since it turns out they are doing a Black Friday sale.

As much as I really wanted a Sport, I went for the Pro since I don't have enough room for a bigger one and I need it to be lower to the floor for my sim-racing. Can't wait to see what it's like. 

Sorry to disappoint the bots, but I've gone for the GT Omega since it turns out they are doing a Black Friday sale.

As much as I really wanted a Sport, I went for the Pro since I don't have enough room for a bigger one and I need it to be lower to the floor for my sim-racing. Can't wait to see what it's like. 

I'm sure Keith said he would get us all a discount default_whistling.gif