The official President Biden thread.

Brother Blades

36 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Said it at the time, but you don't spend decades working your way towards the top job in the land, finally get there, then decide maybe to let somebody else have a go. Those boys have a determination and self-belief that won't be extinguished.

Only way he's not running for a second term is if it's humiliatingly obvious that he's going to lose very badly, or develops health problems so severe that it's not practical. Neither look likely at the moment.

Blair stood down. I’m struggling to remember; I know his race was well run by that point, but were Labour guaranteed a rinsing if he hadn’t? (And if so, it does beg the question why they thought Broon would be any better a bet). 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

That analysis leaves out ego.  He’s not the only candidate who could have beaten Trump, but his ego told him he could. What will his ego tell him know, that he’s had the best mid-terms of any President in 20 years and therefore he should go again?

They weren't exactly a crew of heavyweights he was competing against in the primaries, and Bernie was even older. He was probably the safest choice for 2020. You have to hope that he'll take the advice of family and friends and call it a day this time. 

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

Blair stood down. I’m struggling to remember; I know his race was well run by that point, but were Labour guaranteed a rinsing if he hadn’t? (And if so, it does beg the question why they thought Broon would be any better a bet). 

Blair stood down so he could start cashing in.  That’s worked well for him.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

They weren't exactly a crew of heavyweights he was competing against in the primaries, and Bernie was even older. He was probably the safest choice for 2020. You have to hope that he'll take the advice of family and friends and call it a day this time. 

I’m hoping for something that won’t happen, namely the Democratic Party looking to modernise and update, highly unlikely given who the power brokers are and whose interests the Party is looking to protect.

As for Bernie Sanders, he would have been the perfect candidate in 2016 when the electorate had lost faith in the political establishment; he wouldn’t have been a good choice for 2020.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

As for Bernie Sanders, he would have been the perfect candidate in 2016 when the electorate had lost faith in the political establishment; he wouldn’t have been a good choice for 2020.

Aye, would have been perfect timing, before sheer despair had created MAGA. Hillary was the worst possible candidate, smug wealthy career Dem taking votes for granted.

Edited by welshbairn

Aye, would have been perfect timing, before sheer despair had created MAGA. Hillary was the worst possible candidate, smug wealthy career Dem taking votes for granted.

I agree, though she did get more votes than Trump.  In a Presidential style election the absolute number of votes should be the sole determining factor.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Blair stood down so he could start cashing in.  That’s worked well for him.

Aye. That, and he had the sense to realise that there's an end to every political career, whether it's at the hands of the electorate or the party. Seeing that play out with his heroine Margaret Thatcher would likely have given him impetus. Speculation, but I doubt he'd have made it through another term without facing a challenge from within, out of sheer boredom if nothing else.

Prime Minister of the UK is a different kettle of fish than POTUS anyway. There's no final "win state" to the former, while the latter needs to make it through a two-year campaign, followed by a four-year term (encompassing another two-year campaign), then it's just a matter of how much their pride demands that they're remembered well.

• 3 weeks later...

If there's one thing I've learned from life, it's that workers are always responsible for increasing profits for business owners, even (and sometimes especially) at their own expense.

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Biden administration pick Sam Brinton has been fired from the DOE after stealing suitcases in Minneapolis and Las Vegas. They face charges of grand larceny and a possible 5-10 years in jail. 

A bizarre ending to a bizarre situation.

5-10 years seems a bit steep for nicking a couple of suitcases. It's not like they would have been hard to spot on CCTV either, hardly a well planned heist.

On 11/12/2022 at 21:25, Granny Danger said:

Not sure where to put this but the guy she defeated for the mayor’s job spent $104m trying to beat her.

$104m, that’s crazy.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/11/politics/karen-bass-los-angeles-mayor-kamala-harris/index.html

Where does it all go? Advertising?

Seeing as how Republicans are usually outspent by Democrats (I believe), is that why they hate the evil MainStream Media so much now?

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Where does it all go? Advertising?

Seeing as how Republicans are usually outspent by Democrats (I believe), is that why they hate the evil MainStream Media so much now?

It defies logic.  All the political parties in the U.K. probably don’t spend that amount collectively during a General Election.

5-10 years seems a bit steep for nicking a couple of suitcases. It's not like they would have been hard to spot on CCTV either, hardly a well planned heist.

5-10 years is the maximum sentence for larceny - it would be very odd if he receveid that sentence for what I think is a first offences, or offences as he has been nicked twice for it.

There are also stories coming out now that the stories Brinton gave about the grisly converstion therapy he was subjected to were likely made up for clout.  Sad.  

We need to get back to the fine and upright Trump administration, none of whom have ended up in any legal trouble.  Apart from Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, Steve Bannon, Michael Cohen, Michael Flynn, George Nader, George Papadoupolous.  So far.

Edited by ICTChris