The official President Biden thread.

Brother Blades

6 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I’m really hoping Trump won’t run because the “red wave” didn’t materialise. I don’t think he has the backing now that he did in 2016 either.

I'm hoping he does and DeSantis gets the nomination. Trump's meltdown would be visible from outer space. 

23 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

That's the thing, if DeSantis runs against Trump and wins the nomination, are those Trump supporters really going to back DeSantis in a Presidential election. The loyalty of Trumpets is not to the Republican party, it's to trump. Same goes for Trump, his loyalty is to himself and his ego, not to the party. Wouldn't surprise me if DeSantis beat him, rather than accept defeat and endorse him as the republican nominee, he stood as an independent and totally split the republican vote in a massive hissy fit. 

Actually.... that might suit the Donald's ego very well.  If DeSantis becomes the nominee... 

1) The DT would have an irresistible urge to give a huge GIRFUY to the party that embarrassed him, 

2) it would allow him to play the downtrodden "very stable genius"* who was unfairly punished for the failures of others** and the clincher....

3) how could he resist the attraction of winning the Presidency as an Independent? 

* as in 'more of a genius than a horse'. 

** in his opinion. 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I'm hoping he does and DeSantis gets the nomination. Trump's meltdown would be visible from outer space. 

I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday.  I’m going to ask him what the maximum safe daily popcorn intake is.

I’m not saying that I will adhere to the guidelines.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The results are far better than could have been hoped for.  The concern is that Biden will claim credit and want to run again in 2024.

If he’s being consistent, I’d think it would go the other way. Biden initially ran because he painted himself as someone that folks could unite around with the sole object of emptying Trump - which was kinda how the primaries worked out - the first few were all close between 3 or 4 candidates with Biden nowhere. Then he took SC in a landslide, it became clear that Biden would carry the Black vote as a bloc more so than anyone else and he got the tip. 

These results can point to ‘job done’ and the fact that younger voters came out in bigger numbers gives whoever’s next a strong policy base to work from. 

3 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

If he’s being consistent, I’d think it would go the other way. Biden initially ran because he painted himself as someone that folks could unite around with the sole object of emptying Trump - which was kinda how the primaries worked out - the first few were all close between 3 or 4 candidates with Biden nowhere. Then he took SC in a landslide, it became clear that Biden would carry the Black vote as a bloc more so than anyone else and he got the tip. 

These results can point to ‘job done’ and the fact that younger voters came out in bigger numbers gives whoever’s next a strong policy base to work from. 

That analysis leaves out ego.  He’s not the only candidate who could have beaten Trump, but his ego told him he could. What will his ego tell him know, that he’s had the best mid-terms of any President in 20 years and therefore he should go again?

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That analysis leaves out ego.  He’s not the only candidate who could have beaten Trump, but his ego told him he could. What will his ego tell him know, that he’s had the best mid-terms of any President in 20 years and therefore he should go again?

It does leave out ego, but he might have been. It’s fair to assume that Mandela Barnes (ultimately -

he did remarkably well in the gerrymandered binfire of that state) didn’t take WI because his name is Mandela Barnes and I’m not sure swathes of America were ready for a Kamala or a Buttigieg. The DNC would have knifed Bernie, because that’s what they do. I saw Liz Warren as being the best bet, but the DNC could’ve also knifed her, and Biden benefits from his association to Obama, who would’ve pissed it if he could’ve run again. 

Edited by carpetmonster

Said it at the time, but you don't spend decades working your way towards the top job in the land, finally get there, then decide maybe to let somebody else have a go. Those boys have a determination and self-belief that won't be extinguished.

Only way he's not running for a second term is if it's humiliatingly obvious that he's going to lose very badly, or develops health problems so severe that it's not practical. Neither look likely at the moment.