The official President Biden thread.

Brother Blades

Kansas voted 60%-40% in favour of not banning abortion (in a vote timed to favour hardcore GOP voters turning out)/

A good victory for pro choice campaigners but a lot of people seem to be reading it as a good omen for Democrats in November but it seems more likely that most people don't see it as a partisan issue. You might have to get an abortion or organise one for someone else possibly once or twice in your life, how many people are going to base their political identity around that?

I doubt that even in the maddest right wing states many Trump supporters want a complete ban across the country, they probably just don't care about their state because paying for a flight to a blue state isn't an issue for them.

Edited by Detournement

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Kansas voted 60%-40% in favour of not banning abortion (in a vote timed to favour hardcore GOP voters turning out)/

A good victory for pro choice campaigners but a lot of people seem to be reading it as a good omen for Democrats in November but it seems more likely that most people don't see it as a partisan issue. You might have to get an abortion or organise one for someone else possibly once or twice in your life, how many people are going to base their political identity around that?

I doubt that even in the maddest right wing states many Trump supporters want a complete ban across the country, they probably just don't care about their state because paying for a flight to a blue state isn't an issue for them.

A comment on FB from someone I know who lives in Kansas.

So the baby killers won. You think things are bad now. You’ve just given Satan free reign. Apparently integrity is dead. I’d wish you good luck but wishing won’t make it so. I have no more cares to give

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

This is of course, completely false.

Live here a while.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Maybe it's a sign that Trumpets are finally getting apathetic and the Supreme Court decisions over abortion and gun regulation have fired up the Libs more? I doubt that Trump supporters are disproportionally able to afford abortion costs in a blue state, or that family members are less likely to need one.

This was the question on the ballot;

Because Kansans value both women and children, the constitution of the state of Kansas does not require government funding of abortion and does not create or secure a right to abortion. To the extent permitted by the constitution of the United States, the people, through their elected state representatives and state senators, may pass laws regarding abortion, including, but not limited to, laws that account for circumstances of pregnancy resulting from rape or incest, or circumstances of necessity to save the life of the mother.  

Yes
No

Is that even a question?

A 'yes' vote took away existing rights and handed them to the State Legislature.

America and the UK are regressing.

Yours

aDONis

It's not something I've ever looked into, but I wonder if the wording on American ballots is often so obtuse. They do have an awful lot of votes on issues that we don't, and that people are often completely ignorant about before arriving at the polling station.

Whether or not people liked our recent referenda, and the complaints that people will generally skew towards a positive answer on any issue, there's no denying that the choice was very clear.

10 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It of course should be a woman’s choice.

Although abortion at 24 weeks doesn’t sit right with me. 
That’s an actual formed baby.

image.jpeg.a84d0a2393fc76f8820f3b3718a5ca86.jpeg

23 weeks is the maximum allowed in the UK unless to save the life of the mother or if the foetus is so malformed it's unlikely to survive. 82% of abortions happen before 10 weeks. 

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11084521/First-bus-migrants-Texas-arrives-New-York-City.html

Red states on the border are offering free bus rides to illegal immigrants who want to travel to Washington DC or New York City.

A pretty good deal for the migrants.

That's been going for months. There was an outcry when Greg Abbott announced it as its constitutionally akin to slave transportation if it's against people's will. One bus did go from Texas to DC with about 20 folks on it, and when the news interviewed one of the passengers he was quite pleased as he was Venezuelan with family in Miami and it's much easier to get there from DC than the border. 

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Whose idea was this backdrop for Joe's big speech yesterday? Not at all sinister.

There's clearly an agenda coming from somewhere to drive as many Americans as possible insane. 

On the GOP side you have all the Q stuff which could easily have been nipped in the bud by the NSA if they wanted to. Then the Democrats are radicalising their own base via Russiagate and now this 'Threat to Democracy' stuff. Plus all the evidence of the FBI encouraging mass shootings and political violence.  It's so blatantly divide and conquer so when the inevitable economic collapse happens there will be no coherent political response across the population. 

Edited by Detournement

If the maximum age for elected politicians in the USA was about 65 I think it would be a better place.

Don't get me wrong there’s plenty of c***s younger than that but there is a plethora of influential halfwits who are determined to go on into their 70s and 80s.  Is it a fear of mortality?

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

If the maximum age for elected politicians in the USA was about 65 I think it would be a better place.

Don't get me wrong there’s plenty of c***s younger than that but there is a plethora of influential halfwits who are determined to go on into their 70s and 80s.  Is it a fear of mortality?

There's an obvious bottleneck for monumentally ambitious and ruthless politicians in the US, and they're not going to let something like age or unpopularity get in the way of their bid for the top job. Which is why people hoping that the incumbent will step aside in a couple of years are likely pissing in to the wind. These guys live for the day that they'll be addressed as "Mr President".

Look at Bob Dole, losing out to bigger arseholes like Reagan and Bush before finally managing to force his way into the candidacy, despite seemingly everyone knowing that he was neither charismatic nor popular enough to win, and was widely seen as too old (ha!). But he was damned well taking the chance, regardless of the greater good for his party, or the people who shared his beliefs.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

There's an obvious bottleneck for monumentally ambitious and ruthless politicians in the US, and they're not going to let something like age or unpopularity get in the way of their bid for the top job. Which is why people hoping that the incumbent will step aside in a couple of years are likely pissing in to the wind. These guys live for the day that they'll be addressed as "Mr President".

Look at Bob Dole, losing out to bigger arseholes like Reagan and Bush before finally managing to force his way into the candidacy, despite seemingly everyone knowing that he was neither charismatic nor popular enough to win, and was widely seen as too old (ha!). But he was damned well taking the chance, regardless of the greater good for his party, or the people who shared his beliefs.

I’m not just talking about Presidents/Presidential candidates.  It’s right across the spectrum.

Mitch McConnell is 150.