Playoff Picture

lichtie23

So if the season finished today the playoff matches would be.....
AFC
Bye - Steelers
(7) Browns @ Chiefs (2)
(6) Colts @ Bills (3)
(5) Ravens @ Titans (4)

NFC
Bye - Seahawks
(7) Rams @ Buccaneers (2)
(6) Cardinals @ Packers (3)
(5) Saints @ Eagles (4)

It would be great if Buffalo could a) hold on and win the division and then also b) hold on to the third seed as whoever out of Ravens and Steelers doesn't win the AFC North will be a really tough match.  There's definitely a drop off in quality after the fifth seed.  Not particularly confident we can do that though.  Fifth seed in the NFC will be absolutely laughing going to whatever team sucks least in the NFC East.  

8 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the new playoff structure? Do you like that an extra team gets in each conference? And that only 1 team gets a bye? Personally I liked the old format better?

Will wait and see how it goes, but I'm not sure I like only one team getting a bye.

On 05/11/2020 at 08:28, lichtie23 said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the new playoff structure? Do you like that an extra team gets in each conference? And that only 1 team gets a bye? Personally I liked the old format better?

I think it dilutes the quality a little bit. In my opinion the structure has worked really well since they realigned the leagues in 2002.

So as it stands the playoffs would look like this.
NFC
Bye - Saints
(7) Rams @ Seahawks (2)
(6) Cardinals @ Packers (3)
(5) Buccaneers @ Eagles (4)

AFC
Bye - Steelers
(7) Dolphins @ Chiefs (2)
(6) Raiders @ Bills (3)
(5) Ravens @ Titans (4)

So the Dolphins & Raiders jump into the AFC playoff standings while the Browns (who didn’t play) and the Colts drop out. While in the NFC the Saints are now the number 1 seed in the process demoting the Seahawks to number 2 and the Buccaneers drop from the 2nd seed to the 5th seed

Worth noting that the owners are due to vote (this week, I think) to give Goodell the option to make it 8 teams from each conference in the playoffs this season if covid has a big effect. The logic being that if a team has a game postponed that cannot be made up and finish 9-6, tied on wins with a 9-7 team, both could go in to the playoffs as the 9-7 team would effectively be penalised by having played an extra game.

12 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

MLB is 5 from each conference (apart from this Covid year). I’m sure it’s the 6 division winners and 4 wildcards

Fair enough. I must have just seen this year's MLB  playoffs somewhere and assumed 16 was the norm.

9 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Worth noting that the owners are due to vote (this week, I think) to give Goodell the option to make it 8 teams from each conference in the playoffs this season if covid has a big effect. The logic being that if a team has a game postponed that cannot be made up and finish 9-6, tied on wins with a 9-7 team, both could go in to the playoffs as the 9-7 team would effectively be penalised by having played an extra game.

This has been approved