Airdrieonians v Clyde

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Looks like it actually is 4231 with Carrick as a 10, Connell on the left and Robert on the right

I also had a wee bit of bother working this out, but apart from one Clyde chance at 1-0, that team played today as we had all hoped this season could bring. The move of Connell to just off left allowed McCann to have a quality game. Carrick as the busy no 10 meant Clyde could not pin down the forwards as Dumbarton had. The skill and calmness of Sabatini was another huge plus after last week's poor central pairing. As we all know goals change games and scoring first set up that confidence. I worried about Crighton's foul ( before three o'clock in my house!) but he calmed down. Robert looked like a guy who wanted to impress and did so. Carrick's second was a cracker and I was never worried after that. Have to give credit to Murray for his changes , many of which were ones we would have suggested, but fair dos to him and especially the players.  I will even praise Paul McKay  for his defensive solidity which was better than McDonald. For Clyde , Goodwillie was ever dangerous, and the Syvverston guy was good, while losing Lang probably weakened them. As they made that 2nd sub in 2nd half it showed how poor Johnson was , that he was heading off before any move had happened. The young sub Henderson gave a lot of effort but Mccann did his job.  A great day for us and my predictions were good for once! 

On 31/10/2020 at 16:21, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Murray out. The guys had plenty of time and hasn't a fucking clue.

His tactics are shite, subs are shite, and clearly doesn't rate his own signings by leaving them on the bench. Brings 3 of them on once we are 2 nil down. 

The guy is a clown. We've been in this league long enough and he will keep us here. 

On 31/10/2020 at 19:04, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I genuinely believe that we've signed some good, even exciting players. Thw club raved abiut Robert, Sabatini and Stokes when we signed then, yet they've benches them today. What the actual f**k? 

I reckon other managers could get more from this team. We've signed exciting players who can move the ball about well going forward but have a manager who doesn't know how to employ those tactics. 

On 01/11/2020 at 12:54, Stevo1968 said:

I’ve never been one to call for the manager to go but I do think it’s time him and Miller were gone, the team looks stale and needs a new lease of life to guide them imo 

On 31/10/2020 at 17:44, Stevo1968 said:

And if the new boys aren’t getting a sniff they’re obviously not good enough or not doing enough to earn the chance!

Aged well :P 

Edited by airdrieman

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

Aged well. 

Touché. I don't regret those comments. They were based on sh1te performances and one win today doesn't convince me that Murray is the guy to take us forward long term. If he sees the difference today and learns from it then great. Will take a few more wins, and against title challenging teams, before I am anywhere near convinced. 

5 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Touché. I don't regret those comments. They were based on sh1te performances and one win today doesn't convince me that Murray is the guy to take us forward long term. If he sees the difference today and learns from it then great. Will take a few more wins, and against title challenging teams, before I am anywhere near convinced. 

Me too. Don't think anybody was expecting such a positive result or performance. Hopefully this will become the norm going forward but given Murray's habit of changing the team on an apparent whim and our general inconsistency under him I'm not wholly convinced myself. Very happy tonight though! 

4 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Its good to have opinions. Said many times last season we started poor we went on a run where we were more positive long way to go can only hope in the managers opinion we are better on the attack than hard to beat.

Must say word of caution expected bit more from Clyde they were none to good .... perhaps we were just too good ♦️

What a difference a week makes in football... Fair play to the team and management who took a huge amount of stick (from myself included). We certainly put last week behind us and showed glimpses of what a decent side we could be . Think the team selection was spot on. At times I think we could’ve taken it up a gear as well.
Good to see Gall get a couple and Connell get off the mark.

Not sure the going’s on at clyde but they certainly look a shadow compared to last year going by their showing today

47 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Didnt watch the game today but the result says it all. Hopefully a major wake up call. Worrying times ahead after a positive start to the season.

You’re lucky ! I wasn’t going to but was at home with nothing else on so decided about 14-50 to open a beer and watch it. Wish I hadn’t bothered. Beer was nice though. 

This isn't just bitterness from a Clyde perspective, but I wouldn't get too excited or think too much about having turned a corner if I was an Airdrie fan this evening. The scoreline, I would say, was far more the result of our sheer incompetence in every regard rather than any brilliance from yourselves. With that said, you can only beat the utter garbage in front of you, and they did so without any trouble whatsoever. I was impressed by McCann and particularly Sabatini today, although I doubt any other team in the division will give either such an opportunity to puff on cigars for 90 minutes. Quite why we left Bain so exposed on that side with an empty jersey floating around in front of him, I really have no idea.

As for Clyde, I don't even know where to begin. The slightest bit of pressure and we revert to scudding it up the park; there is absolutely nobody in the squad capable of bringing the ball out from the back. It looked from the first Dumbarton game as though Cuddihy might work well in that role, but teams have obviously realised what's what and he isn't good enough in tight areas to withstand/break a press like Ray Grant could.

Can’t believe supporters actually paid for a stream after they last 2 games I did predict a pumpin today.
Was Thomas Robert that good going forward or was it just Clyde are absolutely honkin ?
Considered demanding a refund from Airdrie for the 30 minutes of dreadful picture quality.

Now, after that performance, I think it's Clyde that should owe me £12

Comfortable L1 team (5) v Mid table L2 team at best (0)

Weve lost two players and rankin who played bit part o season & we have collapsed like a deck chair...

Did Mcstay/Grant. Make a lot o these players and provide a service to Goodwillie , Answer to that probably Yes and one goal im 4 games confirms that suggestion...

Yer Mithers pride[emoji1267]

Cuddihy was meh last season at RB...

Now were asking him to become more involved. Great player in Play off season but like Mcniff. Rumsby. Johnston. They need to be moved on for even 2 players on better wage..

Bryan smith. Wee Andy all told the same one day that L1 too quick for them who were great servants for club & we really need players at this level even if they come at wee bit extra cost..

Time to make those decisions DL before were chasing 8th or 9th place 6points or more aff it...

4 games in and still naked[emoji1267]

2 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

This isn't just bitterness from a Clyde perspective, but I wouldn't get too excited or think too much about having turned a corner if I was an Airdrie fan this evening. The scoreline, I would say, was far more the result of our sheer incompetence in every regard rather than any brilliance from yourselves. With that said, you can only beat the utter garbage in front of you, and they did so without any trouble whatsoever. I was impressed by McCann and particularly Sabatini today, although I doubt any other team in the division will give either such an opportunity to puff on cigars for 90 minutes. Quite why we left Bain so exposed on that side with an empty jersey floating around in front of him, I really have no idea.

As for Clyde, I don't even know where to begin. The slightest bit of pressure and we revert to scudding it up the park; there is absolutely nobody in the squad capable of bringing the ball out from the back. It looked from the first Dumbarton game as though Cuddihy might work well in that role, but teams have obviously realised what's what and he isn't good enough in tight areas to withstand/break a press like Ray Grant could.

That's a fair enough assessment on the basis of today's game and I don't think I will get too excited or a "turned a corner" moment as L1 will provide some curious results/games for all of us.  It was obvious that Airdrie were attacking on the left in that first half and Bain was indeed on his own, so I wonder who was not doing their job. Scoring first did help us and Goodwillie missing that header at 1-0 was a bonus. It's (hopefullly) a long season for all of us so stick at it. Take care

13 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

That aged well 😂

I can't remember if it was on here on twitter, after 45 mins U held my hands up and said I totally got it wrong, ok the opposition wasn't the best but it was a clinical performance and I'll happily take the egg on the face.

12 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Exactly the way I feel. It's a 1 game at a time thing just now,  we need a few wins in a row under the belt to start to have any sort of confidence, but the minute i see any unforced changes to the team for the sake of it, that's when I'll start to get annoyed again if the result doesn't follow.

12 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

What a difference a week makes in football... Fair play to the team and management who took a huge amount of stick (from myself included). We certainly put last week behind us and showed glimpses of what a decent side we could be . Think the team selection was spot on. At times I think we could’ve taken it up a gear as well.
Good to see Gall get a couple and Connell get off the mark.

Not sure the going’s on at clyde but they certainly look a shadow compared to last year going by their showing today

Absolutely, now play the same team again and show it wasn't a 1 off.

Continuity is key, especially in a curtailed season.