Scotsport and Sportscene memories

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Aberdeen played Dundee at home on Friday 1st January 1971 and St Johnstone away on Saturday 2nd January. I was at both matches and there were 24,000 at Pittodrie and 21,000 at Muirton. The Christmas Day fixtures at the end of that year saw Aberdeen play at Falkirk but I couldn’t get to that match, so as we were staying in Dundee at that time I went to Tannadice to watch United play Dunfermline. That’s the last Christmas Day match that I have been to.

Aye but did you have a chicken?

4 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

As my dad was a butcher, it was a turkey. I remember going to the game with my dad and one of my sisters, and when we got home the Christmas dinner with turkey was awaiting us.

Watching that Dumbarton v Hearts match from the 80's, you tube had this classic in the wee videos alongside
Part-time Saints in the bottom division ragdolling European regulars Aberdeen at Muirton Park only to lose to a late sucker punch.  Classic blood and snotters cup tie with some old favourites to accompany the action
"Charlie Nicholas you're a w****r, you're a w****r" "Miller, Miller shut yer pus" and "you wot, you wot, you wot you wot you wot"
Willie Miller being pushed flat onto his back on the track by Doug Barron in the second half...
Magnificent stuff.

All sorts of crowd nonsense going on that day. Plain clothes plod enthusiastically extracting several casuals from the boisterous crowd.
Car driver pulled off the road at Finavon so we could have a beer after listening to the radio Scotland match reports and the Reel Blend country dancing programme with Robbie Shepherd started.

We were startled to find Robbie at the bar with his cronies cowping back the wee goldies.....

‘Och, the programmes are a’ recorded, loon’

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I remember getting a capon. I had absolutely no idea what a capon was but I got caught up in the family hysteria that we were getting something better than the neighbours. I think my Maw took out an advert in the local paper such was the magnitude of such a development in those days.

A capon is a big chicken for those that don't know. I've never gotten over the disappointment.

Eta for accuracy. A capon is a castrated cock. The body, not just the cock.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

2 hours ago, Ken Fitlike said:

All sorts of crowd nonsense going on that day. Plain clothes plod enthusiastically extracting several casuals from the boisterous crowd.
Car driver pulled off the road at Finavon so we could have a beer after listening to the radio Scotland match reports and the Reel Blend country dancing programme with Robbie Shepherd started.

We were startled to find Robbie at the bar with his cronies cowping back the wee goldies.....

‘Och, the programmes are a’ recorded, loon’

As a young teenager I remember thinking how mental the Aberdeen mob were.  Watching Saints at the time with the casuals in their prime you were used to seeing scrapping but when a couple of bobbies stepped in the trouble stopped and folk scarpered or got nicked.  I remember about half a dozen police going in amongst the Aberdeen mob during the game and getting pushed about and started on. 
There were headlines on the front of the Perthshire Advertiser weeks before about the worry of ‘casual wars’ with folk coming from Huddersfield, Stoke etc to join in!  Think they’d rampaged through the town all day beforehand as well. 

Watching the game back, I remember what a superb player Sammy Johnston (Saints no 6) was. He was brother of Alan Magic Johnston of hearts.  Best player on the park.

It was Saints that played all the football; Aberdeen were lucky the pitch was a quagmire as we’d have gubbed them on a good surface that day.

Just now, PauloPerth said:

As a young teenager I remember thinking how mental the Aberdeen mob were.  Watching Saints at the time with the casuals in their prime you were used to seeing scrapping but when a couple of bobbies stepped in the trouble stopped and folk scarpered or got nicked.  I remember about half a dozen police going in amongst the Aberdeen mob during the game and getting pushed about and started on. 
There were headlines on the front of the Perthshire Advertiser weeks before about the worry of ‘casual wars’ with folk coming from Huddersfield, Stoke etc to join in!  Think they’d rampaged through the town all day beforehand as well. 

Watching the game back, I remember what a superb player Sammy Johnston (Saints no 6) was. He was brother of Alan Magic Johnston of hearts.  Best player on the park.

It was Saints that played all the football; Aberdeen were lucky the pitch was a quagmire as we’d have gubbed them on a good surface that day.

I remember Sammy Johnston as a player well, my family having moved to Perth in '89 and going along to Muirton in between trips to Brockville. Didn't know he was AJ's brother though.

Remember a 2-1 SJ win over Forfar, and also the limp last day defeat to Ayr Utd. Hung about after a game and met all the players and got autographs. My brother was a SJ fan.

Went to the Falkirk games in Perth of course, Mince Vennie scoring a scorcher in a 2-1 defeat, and a 1-0 Sam McGivern powered win. There was a bit of chasing up and down Dunkeld Road after that one definitely; locals not too happy about getting beat.

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I remember Sammy Johnston as a player well, my family having moved to Perth in '89 and going along to Muirton in between trips to Brockville. Didn't know he was AJ's brother though.

Remember a 2-1 SJ win over Forfar, and also the limp last day defeat to Ayr Utd. Hung about after a game and met all the players and got autographs. My brother was a SJ fan.

Went to the Falkirk games in Perth of course, Mince Vennie scoring a scorcher in a 2-1 defeat, and a 1-0 Sam McGivern powered win. There was a bit of chasing up and down Dunkeld Road after that one definitely; locals not too happy about getting beat.

We had some great away games at Brockville as well, brilliant atmosphere in the wee side enclosure. Sure we played a 3-3 draw there around that time after leading 3-1.  They were the days you'd stand near the segregation fence to wind each other up.. some great laughs!

I was sure Sammy Johnston was AJ's brother, but now I'm beginning to doubt myself..

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

We had some great away games at Brockville as well, brilliant atmosphere in the wee side enclosure. Sure we played a 3-3 draw there around that time after leading 3-1.  They were the days you'd stand near the segregation fence to wind each other up.. some great laughs!

I was sure Sammy Johnston was AJ's brother, but now I'm beginning to doubt myself..

The 3-3 draw was a freezing day in 89/90. Paul Rutherford scored two very late goals to snatch a draw.

17 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I remember getting a capon. I had absolutely no idea what a capon was but I got caught up in the family hysteria that we were getting something better than the neighbours. I think my Maw took out an advert in the local paper such was the magnitude of such a development in those days.

A capon is a big chicken for those that don't know. I've never gotten over the disappointment.

Eta for accuracy. A capon is a castrated cock. The body, not just the cock.

I once had a capon. Then I took it off.

On 04/11/2020 at 19:32, D.A.F.C said:

That game was a few weeks into the season and Rangers were top of the league for a change so about 4 times the usual crowd turned up at Ibrox.

Ma faither took me and my mate (St Mirren fan) along but we couldn't get into the main stand or enclosure due to the huge queues (fortunately as it transpired). 

"Do you want to go to Love Street instead?" the old man asked, to the delight of my pal, and we witnessed Saints beat Dundee Utd with a last minute penalty. 

• 3 weeks later...

I remember being at Hibs v Rangers on Xmas day 1971. It was also common at that time to play 2 games in 3 days over New Year. Sometimes January 1 & 3, or December 31 and January 2 or whatever. 
ETA yes, I remember chicken being a luxury, it just tasted so much better than nowadays and I don’t think I’m imagining it.

It was the pea and ham soup the next day that was the real surprise.

On 04/11/2020 at 19:24, Silverton End said:

Scottish Cup 1991, Jock Brown commentating

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32uXrAATR6E&t=20s

Of the grounds that were around in the 70s, there were only four that I never managed to get to, and Firs Park was one of the four. Have to say that it looks decent enough and a shame that I never made it there.

On 06/11/2020 at 00:26, PauloPerth said:

Yes, he was.