Scotsport and Sportscene memories

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Love all this old nostalgic stuff. You have gone far enough back to find Ayr in a division above Kilmarnock.

Reminds me of my 40th birthday about a decade ago, my Honest Man boss said "I didn't realise you were such an old b*****d."

"I'm still too young to remember Ayr in the Premier Division", was my reply.

I started going in the mid-80's and at a time where only 2 games were covered over the weekend - invariably "whoever the OF were playing" - it was actually quite exciting when you saw the trucks there for a game against a fellow diddy.

This classic game always sticks in my mind in that regard as it had everything (Mixu reacting a most un-footballer like way to a big elbow to the jaw, Davie Cooper being a genius, goals scored in the "correct" order etc) was this one against Utd at Fir Park

16 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Possibly on the way to the train station you cross 'dumbarton common', playing fields before reaching and going under the railway bridge.

There was also a burn that ran around 1 side of Boghead, with little bridges on the pavements.

*apologies for the behaviour of the unruly Sons fan 😀

I thought it would be more likely the swingpark on the way to Dumbarton  East. Tended to be more trouble that way as far as I remember.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

I started going in the mid-80's and at a time where only 2 games were covered over the weekend - invariably "whoever the OF were playing" - it was actually quite exciting when you saw the trucks there for a game against a fellow diddy.

This classic game always sticks in my mind in that regard as it had everything (Mixu reacting a most un-footballer like way to a big elbow to the jaw, Davie Cooper being a genius, goals scored in the "correct" order etc) was this one against Utd at Fir Park

A chorus of "Hello! Hello!" from the United fans there after the first goal?

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

A chorus of "Hello! Hello!" from the United fans there after the first goal?

It's easy to forget how common it was then - Motherwell supporters used to (very occasionally) sing it when I started going.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

This classic game always sticks in my mind in that regard as it had everything (Mixu reacting a most un-footballer like way to a big elbow to the jaw, Davie Cooper being a genius, goals scored in the “correct “ order etc) was this one against Utd at Fir Park

Eh .? ... what you on about here ?

4 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Arthur Montford sounding suitably unimpressed at the standard penalty awards Rangers getting. Did he say they got two in this game?

I think he said it was the second penalty of the match but didn't specify to which team. I know where I'd put my money though.

Arthur commentating on the 1985-86 Rangers v Hibs League Cup semi.

Presumably Jock Brown was at the other semi the same night.

I think this might have been the last ever Montford commentary?

Classic Super Cooper goal at 8:30 anyway.