Cancel the season??

This has just appeared on bbc news on the internet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105

Covid vaccine: First vaccine offers 90% protection

The first coronavirus vaccine can prevent more than 90% of people from getting Covid-19, a preliminary analysis shows.

The developers - Pfizer and BioNTech - described it as a "great day for science and humanity".

Their vaccine has been tested on 43,500 people in six countries and no safety concerns have been raised.

The companies plan to apply for emergency approval to use the vaccine by the end of the month.

A vaccine - alongside better treatments - is seen as the best way of getting out of the restrictions that have been imposed on all our lives.

There are around a dozen in the final stages of testing, but this is the first to show any results.

It uses a completely experimental approach - that involves injecting part of the virus's genetic code - in order to train the immune system.

Two doses, three weeks apart, are needed. The trials - in US, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa and Turkey - show 90% protection is achieved seven days after the second dose.

Pfizer believes it will be able to supply 50 million doses by the end of this year, and around 1.3 billion by the end of 2021.

However, there are logistical challenges as the vaccine has to be kept in ultra-cold storage at below minus 80C.

There are also questions about how long immunity lasts.

Dr Albert Bourla, the chairman of Pfizer, said: "We are a significant step closer to providing people around the world with a much-needed breakthrough to help bring an end to this global health crisis."

Prof Ugur Sahin, one of the founders of BioNTech, described the results as a "milestone".

The UK has already ordered 30m doses.

Edited by Dev

46 minutes ago, Dev said:

This has just appeared on bbc news on the internet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105

Covid vaccine: First vaccine offers 90% protection

The first coronavirus vaccine can prevent more than 90% of people from getting Covid-19, a preliminary analysis shows.

The developers - Pfizer and BioNTech - described it as a "great day for science and humanity".

Their vaccine has been tested on 43,500 people in six countries and no safety concerns have been raised.

The companies plan to apply for emergency approval to use the vaccine by the end of the month.

A vaccine - alongside better treatments - is seen as the best way of getting out of the restrictions that have been imposed on all our lives.

There are around a dozen in the final stages of testing, but this is the first to show any results.

It uses a completely experimental approach - that involves injecting part of the virus's genetic code - in order to train the immune system.

Two doses, three weeks apart, are needed. The trials - in US, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa and Turkey - show 90% protection is achieved seven days after the second dose.

Pfizer believes it will be able to supply 50 million doses by the end of this year, and around 1.3 billion by the end of 2021.

However, there are logistical challenges as the vaccine has to be kept in ultra-cold storage at below minus 80C.

There are also questions about how long immunity lasts.

Dr Albert Bourla, the chairman of Pfizer, said: "We are a significant step closer to providing people around the world with a much-needed breakthrough to help bring an end to this global health crisis."

Prof Ugur Sahin, one of the founders of BioNTech, described the results as a "milestone".

The UK has already ordered 30m doses.

Great news and a step in the right direction 

But let’s get to the small print 30m doses is only enough for 15m people out of population of 65m+ so less than 20% of the country 

Also they have said that they have no idea how long the vaccine will be effective for

As I say a step, all be it a small one in the right direction but we should not be shouting from the roof tops yet.

Restrictions are going to be in place for a fair while yet probably over the whole of the winter months 

Really don't see why fans cant be allowed in. Junior grounds would be easy to work with the restrictions. The capicity would most likely never need to be reduced to meet the guidlines

Managed to go around a dozen non-league games over the border this season so far in the EvoStik Northern Premier, Northern and North West Counties League.
Most have attendance caps put on them around 300 which is roughly about what these clubs regularly attract.
Yes the clubs have had to put themselves out with the social distancing issues but nothing major, just taping off areas so you distance yourself off in the queue for the pie hut, seated and standing areas and they make sure you sign the track and trace register or scan the app.
No players getting in cars down there either.
A bit of thought and preparation has gone into it and fans have it made it work.
No reason why it couldn’t be done up here.

Managed to go around a dozen non-league games over the border this season so far in the EvoStik Northern Premier, Northern and North West Counties League.
Most have attendance caps put on them around 300 which is roughly about what these clubs regularly attract.
Yes the clubs have had to put themselves out with the social distancing issues but nothing major, just taping off areas so you distance yourself off in the queue for the pie hut, seated and standing areas and they make sure you sign the track and trace register or scan the app.
No players getting in cars down there either.
A bit of thought and preparation has gone into it and fans have it made it work.
No reason why it couldn’t be done up here.

I really don’t think the grounds are the issue it having people travelling that the SG/PHS have an issue with. They don’t want people travelling in level 3 or 4 for events like football. They are treating football the same all the way down the pyramid and I can’t help but think this is due to the argument that was made that we are professional and allowed to start hence treating all the same with crowds as there seems no sensible argument to not allow crowds back in socially distanced.

One other point is I would guess many clubs at this level won’t have a defined capacity due to not having a licence so I do wonder if that might be an issue for clubs when it comes to how many are allowed in.

40 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

I really don’t think the grounds are the issue it having people travelling that the SG/PHS have an issue with. They don’t want people travelling in level 3 or 4 for events like football. They are treating football the same all the way down the pyramid and I can’t help but think this is due to the argument that was made that we are professional and allowed to start hence treating all the same with crowds as there seems no sensible argument to not allow crowds back in socially distanced.

One other point is I would guess many clubs at this level won’t have a defined capacity due to not having a licence so I do wonder if that might be an issue for clubs when it comes to how many are allowed in.

Or the capacity they think they have is nebulous. Some enclosures have really small official capacities due to lack of barriers and lights inside.

Ignore the doom mongers on here who's very everyday nature will be of a negative nature. 

This vaccine will be a game changer and clubs who have shown leadership and a backbone will be rewarded with crowds in later on in the season! 

Edited by gaswork

4 hours ago, Lobby Dossar said:

... But let’s get to the small print 30m doses is only enough for 15m people out of population of 65m+ so less than 20% of the country ...

Only really need to do frontline health professionals, most people over 60 and certain other high risk groups to put a massive dent in the mortality rate, because very few children and healthy young adults have a significant issue with it. No need to do everybody with something like this. Hopefully all the trial results come through OK in line with what is being claimed, because 90% effectiveness is very good news and much better than was generally expected with the first generation of vaccines.

LTL what a legend, still banging out common sense. Hopefully the vaccine will be controlled, rather than all the idiots rushing to get one 💉 All we needed was patience and logic, rather than the panic and hysteria sometimes. Slow steps to see us through the winter at least, fingers crossed. Am still looking at fans back in January.

26 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

LTL what a legend, still banging out common sense. Hopefully the vaccine will be controlled, rather than all the idiots rushing to get one 💉 All we needed was patience and logic, rather than the panic and hysteria sometimes. Slow steps to see us through the winter at least, fingers crossed. Am still looking at fans back in January.

In your dreams

Suggest you take a trip to your nearest hospital and see how the NHS staff are cooping with admissions

As LTL says the mortality rate seems to be under control  which is good, but no sign of infection rates or hospital admissions coming down. Also looks unlikely that there are going to be any reduction in current Tier restrictions in the coming weeks.

And no I’m not a doom monger just  realistic about what is happening in the country at the present moment.

Edited by Lobby Dossar

2 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Noticed on most of the coverage of the games over the weekend the lack of masks, if we are being treated the same as further up the pyramid should these not be worn outside of the players?

24 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Who are you defining as "all the idiots"?

Noticed on most of the coverage of the games over the weekend the lack of masks, if we are being treated the same as further up the pyramid should these not be worn outside of the players?

My point was in relation to fans being not allowed in. It is down to the guidance provided which I believe doesn’t require the wearing of masks as long as social distancing is being observed. The difficulty for the league organisers is enforcing any guidance as they will not have the resources that the SPFL would have.

People have to trust the processes being put in place and observe them. So far it seems to going really well and well done to the clubs for that and hopefully fans get back in soon to help them out financially but I think there are still a few hoops to jump through and the vaccine will have no impact on what happens in the short term. It all about following the rules, bringing the numbers down and then things will get back to normal. The vaccine at that time in the spring will help keep numbers down but there are still a ways to go no matter what some people on here think.

18 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

My point was in relation to fans being not allowed in. It is down to the guidance provided which I believe doesn’t require the wearing of masks as long as social distancing is being observed. The difficulty for the league organisers is enforcing any guidance as they will not have the resources that the SPFL would have.

People have to trust the processes being put in place and observe them. So far it seems to going really well and well done to the clubs for that and hopefully fans get back in soon to help them out financially but I think there are still a few hoops to jump through and the vaccine will have no impact on what happens in the short term. It all about following the rules, bringing the numbers down and then things will get back to normal. The vaccine at that time in the spring will help keep numbers down but there are still a ways to go no matter what some people on here think.

Enforcing any guidelines is surely the job of the home team , it should be pretty simple to do as it’s only “ officials “ of both clubs, it’s got to be in the interests of all clubs to ensure everyone complies with the guidelines.

On 09/11/2020 at 10:59, Talbot supporter said:
On 09/11/2020 at 03:47, TheAftonArmyBear88 said:
Really don't see why fans cant be allowed in. Junior grounds would be easy to work with the restrictions. The capicity would most likely never need to be reduced to meet the guidlines

I agree , although what happens when it rains will everybody head for shelter, unless clubs advise folk to bring brawllies lol

Aye good point be playing rock paper scissors to see who gets the last spot in the stand lol 

22 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Or the capacity they think they have is nebulous. Some enclosures have really small official capacities due to lack of barriers and lights inside.

Supporters choice if they want to risk going to a game where they could get a soaking. There will be grounds where teams don't have a shelter

1 hour ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Those not at risk or not on the frontline I would say. Would guess that many younger people don't require one tbh, and possibly  those in their later years.Only an opinion, that's all.

Everyone is at some level of risk and it’s predominantly  those in their later years who are dying from it 

1 hour ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Those not at risk or not on the frontline I would say. Would guess that many younger people don't require one tbh, and possibly  those in their later years.Only an opinion, that's all.

If it's just an uneducated opinion then I don't think it's very fair to generalise people hoping to be immunised against a virus causing a global pandemic as "all the idiots".