Cancel the season??

47 minutes ago, lokforever said:

Larkhall Thistle have withdrawn from the league

Another Conference C side leaving them at 9 teams. Although I still see Shettleston listed on the likes of the WoSFL.co.uk website.

EDIT:

I've seen some of the chat about the timing of the withdrawal might be to avoid the sanctions that have now been put in place.

Yesterday it was mentioned the loss of the £250 bound and a 12 point deduction. I take it the 12 point deduction would be applied to the 2021-22 season? Likely ensuring a real struggle in the Conferences next season as they would be creating 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Divisions.

Are there any other sanctions for withdrawing after the deadline?

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Clubs that try and continue to play shouldn't be punished if they have to pull out. If they have to pull out now it is clear that it will be because they have to with little choice in.

12 point deduction is near enough relegating a Premier team when 7 out of 20 get relegated.

I appreciate the implications for other clubs when teams pull out but think just need to view this season as a bonus season.

I feel I've switched from being bullish and having a solider on attitude to thinking I don't want my club to risk continue playing if there is the slightest chance we couldn't complete the season or negatively impact the next season.

Really want us to continue but not if it could result in punitive measures when clubs that pulled out without even trying then end up in a better position. Where is the incentive to continue playing? Not saying there should be - but with no promotion or relegation in the current environment there shouldn't be punishment either.

12 minutes ago, beith19 said:

Clubs that try and continue to play shouldn't be punished if they have to pull out. If they have to pull out now it is clear that it will be because they have to with little choice in.

12 point deduction is near enough relegating a Premier team when 7 out of 20 get relegated.

I appreciate the implications for other clubs when teams pull out but think just need to view this season as a bonus season.

I feel I've switched from being bullish and having a solider on attitude to thinking I don't want my club to risk continue playing if there is the slightest chance we couldn't complete the season or negatively impact the next season.

Really want us to continue but not if it could result in punitive measures when clubs that pulled out without even trying then end up in a better position. Where is the incentive to continue playing? Not saying there should be - but with no promotion or relegation in the current environment there shouldn't be punishment either.

Agree that it's harsh to issue punishment, however there is an argument for it. Any club who decided to crash on knew the risks and were given time to contemplate if it was correct within a few games. In all fairness it will be hellish for Kennie if clubs drop out at the rate of one every week or so. Suppose there had to be some sort of disincentive.

Ergo, no easy answer.

13 hours ago, gaswork said:

Have to laugh at those supporters of teams who have nothing better to do now than come on here day after day with negative comments, desperate for the vast majority of clubs with a backbone who are playing for them to fail.  Utterly tragic behaviour. 

Chief suspects being the snowflakes from kilbirnie who have a weird bizarre arrogant superiority attitude of being better than everyone else when really they are deluded and stuck in a time warp. 

Take up a hobby ffs give it a rest and let the proper football clubs and supporters enjoy the football this season without your nonsense. 

Kilbirnie,  snowflakes !!!? ...that's a turnaround in perception from P&B posters ...and our fans are now angels...we have worked hard on our image ...happy it's now being recognised :)

53 minutes ago, Bankies Alive said:

The season will be played to a finish of that there is no doubt.If it runs until August then clubs who’ve sat out will just have to sit out a bit longer.

I can see the EoS and SoS winners sitting idle for months waiting on Darvel (•‿•)

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I don't see enough Premier Division teams withdrawing that it will be scrapped this year. The results against that withdraw will just get voided and those remaining will carry on.

The problem is at the Conference level.

The conferences are now a mess.

Would the best way forward would be to split them up and make just 2 leagues, the teams that have already played each other would be in the same league with the result carried over so not to disadvantage teams that have played games and then a similar 'seeded' approach used to make both conferences as level as possible?

Or, is the reduced numbers actually beneficial as it accounts for any mini lock downs or bad weather which is guaranteed to happen at some stage. 

6 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

I believe that the season will finish around June, would there be a rejig in the Conference's to allow for any promotions and relegations in 20/21 ? Maybe next season will have to be slightly different in set up etc just to get organised. Is the 12 pts being carried over to 21/22 ? 

I also believe it wouldnt be fair for the conferences to be seeded again next season based on this seasons league position. And where do the teams that have pulled out rank? 

21 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

I believe that the season will finish around June, would there be a rejig in the Conference's to allow for any promotions and relegations in 20/21 ? Maybe next season will have to be slightly different in set up etc just to get organised. Is the 12 pts being carried over to 21/22 ? 

There's no way of saying this without sounding sarcastic - but there would be little point in deducting points from a League table they will be removed from. So it will obviously be from the following season.

20 minutes ago, Juniorfootball123 said:

The conferences are now a mess.

Would the best way forward would be to split them up and make just 2 leagues, the teams that have already played each other would be in the same league with the result carried over so not to disadvantage teams that have played games and then a similar 'seeded' approach used to make both conferences as level as possible?

Or, is the reduced numbers actually beneficial as it accounts for any mini lock downs or bad weather which is guaranteed to happen at some stage. 

I think one of the reasons for the sanctions is to try and get those on the fence to withdraw by November 14th. Depending on the numbers there could then be a 'final' reshuffle for those still playing. No idea what that might look like since no knows who else might withdraw.

4 hours ago, Sancho Panza said:

I can see the EoS and SoS winners sitting idle for months waiting on Darvel (•‿•)

We'll know in March whether anyone from the WOS is going to be licensed. Darvel had better get their floodlights planning permission sorted soon...

Reproduced from that tweet thread:

West of Scotland football league news asked Kennie why the punishment for teams that have tried  to start the season is so severe (12 pts deduction and loss of good behaviour bond) yet teams that could or would not start did not face the same repercussions as surely the aim should have been to help clubs wanting to start not hinder them forcing them to withdraw. Here is the reply he gave which I thought was excellent as agree or disagree he was honest

It's to protect the integrity of the leagues for those that actually want to play out a full competitive league. What we don't want is for teams to wing it from week to week thinking they can just pull out anytime without worrying about the consequences for those that do continue.

Let’s imagine that we get to mid-March 2020. A is at the top of the league, 4 points clear of B. C is at the bottom of the league and struggling, they decide to quit as they consider that they’ve nothing to play for. C’s results are deleted from the table.

Team A have beat them twice and Team B have lost once to them and still to play them once. Team A would slip to 2nd and be 2 points behind Team B. I’m sure you’d agree it would make a mockery of the full season.

This has got nothing to do with punishing a team for pulling out, it's more about making sure that they are all fit and able to compete and play right till the end of the season to make sure we have a full meaningful season for the clubs that do want to play.

If a team is not sure by now that they could do that, then surely the time to withdraw is now. Not in January or March.

Team A in the example I gave could be a few weeks away from winning the league and team B decide to chuck it and the team A drop 6 points. Then another team decides Team B chucked it, we might as well join them" Team A now in 4th place.

We don't want to punish anyone. We want them all to finish what they started. Or get out now and leave those serious about playing to get on with it. Hopefully that shows you our perspective. Regards Kennie

Edited by Ginaro