Raith V Morton

This is a bit of an acid test albeit a very early one. Win, lose or draw its going to be about the performance to an extent and how we compete with Morton which  will hopefully give us an indication of where we can finish. 

This is a bit strange considering we're unbeaten but there are mitigating factors  so far. The Arbroath game may be that new season bounce new teams get. Queens are pish, Dundee took their foot off the gas on Saturday. 

Not ruling out "promotion / new season bounce" entirely but I tend think we always start every season well and it is as an unknown quantity. As such other teams seem to struggle more in that first meeting and by the time we face teams for the second time (usually around the time the clocks change) teams are wiser to us and have worked out ways of countering our threat.  For that reason I've always been an exponent of keeping funds back to bring in a new face or two in January. 

It is of course just my theory and if there's anything in it then the pivot point will be against the Pars in January, now if we continue doing well up until then and we are able to bring in a couple of new faces in the transfer window then we could be on for a very nice season.

I also think my hypothesis holds water for most promoted teams, look at how well teams that have just come up do in their 1st season compared to the second. Perhaps it's a promotion bounce and perhaps it's "the unknown quantity", more likely it'll be a wee bit of both.  Still it'll be interesting to see how Livi, Arbroath do this term.  Ayr were pretty much on course for if not disproving this theory at least proving an exception.

As for Saturday I think the boys will be confident of a win, hopefully not overly so!

1 hour ago, Roath Raver said:

For anyone interested in purchasing the stream...
We've done two live video games so far this season (one Betfred, one League). Both games have had an clear picture, replays, multiple camera angles, a half time piece and a moderated interactive chat board. This is something we will hope to carry on for Saturday.

You should be able to purchase the stream on the RaithTV website from some point on Thursday (posts will go up on the Rovers' website and social media channels when it is available). You need to create an account on the website and you can state what team you support. It is a common message from all clubs, but would recommend not waiting until the last moment to purchase it because it gives the admin more time to assist you if you are experiencing difficulties. 

The stream goes live way before the game broadcast begins (usually 2.15 -2.30) with a looping video so you know you are getting a picture. The broadcast will start around ten minutes before the game begins, where the commentary team will run through team lines, etc.

If you have any bother, please email contact@raith.tv or post in the stream chat board rather than try to message one of the RaithTV social media accounts.

Our planned half time piece is an interview with a player who has played for both teams, David McGurn, where we ask him about his time at Raith and Morton.

Any streaming numbers for the Arbroath game?

Be interesting to see the comparison with the East Fife game where anyone wishing to stream the game had to pay and Arbroath game where season holders didnt

Be interesting to see the comparison with the East Fife game where anyone wishing to stream the game had to pay and Arbroath game where season holders didnt

Not sure about our numbers but Partick Thistle are claiming they had 6000 fans for their last game (stop laughing at the back) if true they should contemplate closing Fir Hill and streaming all future games as it’s tripled their fan base.

56 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

I don’t know the streaming numbers personally. Maybe the club will start posting them after transactions are verified in the future.

3 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Not sure about our numbers but Partick Thistle are claiming they had 6000 fans for their last game (stop laughing at the back) if true they should contemplate closing Fir Hill and streaming all future games as it’s tripled their fan base.

😂😂😂

Deluded. Almost as bad as the old firm that mob. 

4 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

It's amazing what an "unjust" relegation can do apparently. 

First time I saw a Rovers v Morton game was December 1963 just before Christmas. Morton won 3-0 and a certain Alan McGraw played that day. Morton ended up being promoted at the end of that season. I am not sure if Doug Cowie was still the Rovers manager at that time. Stood on the terrace where the dugouts are now,well sat on the wall there.

On 03/11/2020 at 17:27, San Starko Rover said:

The new Dunfermline, maybe not only added all ST holders but all who ever held a ST.

I expect us to lose this by a couple of goals. Raith are likely on a slight promotion bounce right now but have probably assembled a stronger all-round team over the close season anyway. We at least look as awkward and battling as last season so far but there were still some alarming gaps on Saturday that any team on half decent form should exploit - so long as they don't then spectacularly bottle it as usual like the Little People did.

A result here would mark a very good start to our campaign, as the teams at the bottom right now might not actually reach 7 points before Christmas.

Edited by vikingTON

My first season supporting Rovers saw us 2nd to them in the old 2nd division in the 66/67 season. We played them at the start of the next season in the league cup. The had a few scandinavian players in the team - Thorup, Arentoft, and maybe Sorensen before he went to Rangers. Also Jim Kennedy and Joe Harper. It was a good team and most of them went on to play for big clubs

Just as Raith fans think this'll tell them a lot about how good they are, we're the same. The defence has been surprisingly decent in general, but we've still lost some poor goals while our clean sheet against Alloa had as much to do with poor finishing as good defending. Are we actually getting a solid foundation to build on? Can we create chances against a defence which doesn't fall apart like Little Ayr often do at Cappielow? On that note I expect we'll see MacIver or Oliver starting in place of Orsi to see if the ball can actually stick in attack rather than giving the midfield the thankless task they had last week.

A point here would be make it a really solid start to the season. That we can even be thinking about opening up a gap on the sides at the bottom is a relief.

Most likely to see plenty of continuity in the selection for Saturday, with the exception of Jacobs back in for Blues and maybe, as Dunning says above, a rest for Orsi. Hope he goes for Maciver, though, as Gary Oliver may be many things, but he's not a centre-forward. The following gets both in the team (Nesbitt to come off the bench):

--------------McAdams-------------

---Fjortoft---McLean---McGinty---

Salkeld-Jacobs-McAlister-Strapp

--------Oliver------McPake---------

--------------Maciver-----------------

One of these fine days -- though probably not Saturday -- I'd like to see us line up as follows:

-Ledger-Fjortoft-McGinty-Strapp-

----------Jacobs-McAlister---------

----Nesbitt---Oliver---McPake-----

----------------Maciver----------------

Strapp gets forward, Ledger doesn't (so it's effectively a back three when we have the ball). And still plenty of forward options off the bench.

Either way, we're long overdue an eye-bleedingly bad 1-1 draw.

If we’re missing 3 of our first choice back 4, along with being very on brand, it’s a massive hurdle to overcome. Probably looking at a back 4 of Tumilty, Nando, Musonda and err.. Dan Armstrong? Really need one of those struggling to make it.

That’s not taking into account our first choice and thus far very impressive centre forward being out. Can this just fucking stop it? Nae wonder John McGlynn is bald.

3 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Most likely to see plenty of continuity in the selection for Saturday, with the exception of Jacobs back in for Blues and maybe, as Dunning says above, a rest for Orsi. Hope he goes for Maciver, though, as Gary Oliver may be many things, but he's not a centre-forward. The following gets both in the team (Nesbitt to come off the bench):

---Fjortoft---McLean---McGinty---

Salkeld-Jacobs-McAlister-Strapp

--------Oliver------McPake---------

--------------Maciver-----------------

One of these fine days -- though probably not Saturday -- I'd like to see us line up as follows:

-Ledger-Fjortoft-McGinty-Strapp-

----------Jacobs-McAlister---------

----Nesbitt---Oliver---McPake-----

----------------Maciver----------------

Strapp gets forward, Ledger doesn't (so it's effectively a back three when we have the ball). And still plenty of forward options off the bench.

Either way, we're long overdue an eye-bleedingly bad 1-1 draw.

I think the back four has to be the way forward but would drop McGinty for McLean right now and Nesbitt in the middle and Salkeld on the right instead. We were far too open in the middle of the park without Jacobs there on Saturday.