19/20 Scottish Cup Final - Heart of Midlothian v Celtic

JamieThomas

5 hours ago, Henrik's tongue said:

Bah Humbug!

I love Christmas.

It's the OF I despise.

And anyway, the Scrooge at the start of 'A Christmas Carol' was a huge fan of wild inequality.  Surely that dig would be better aimed at the Celtic fans.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

It is an achievement but it’s a feat of consistency and professionalism from the individuals involved. 

I don’t think it’s a great look to call it a nothing achievement because that’s clearly false but I can’t bring myself to be in any awe of it, particularly given the quality of the current Celtic team. 

the Brendan Rodgers side of 16/17 was begrudgingly a terrific side to watch but this side are a relative gang compared to their budget. 

5 hours ago, ahemps said:

Here is more facts for you, only Portugal comes close to financial disparity in Europe but this is counting Aberdeen in a top 3 where in Portugal  it is Benfica, Sporting and Porto. By UEFA's own financial reports it is recognised that it is extremely unlikely that anyone else can win the Scottish league. Celtic and Rangers are a pair of middle weight boxers going around beating up bantamweights and telling everyone how tough they are although the only people who believe it are themselves. 

Screenshot 2020-12-21 124441.png

There's your headshot Romeo.

3 hours ago, ahemps said:

I know what you are saying and I take your point. Is this how you want football to be though? Do you not want genuine competition?

Can any Old Firm on here remember the 80's? I was too young to remember it but there were 4 different league winners and Hearts could have won it but they blew it on the last day. I believe Celtic and Rangers had low spells during this decade but still won the majority of domestic trophies. Was that a more enjoyable footballing time? Was it a more interesting period and does it not make winning more satisfying overcoming opponents who can genuinely challenge you?

I think, in fairness, that there probably may be a notable exception or two on here, but for the vast majority of OF fans, the answer to each of your closing two questions would be a sincere and emphatic no.

Most just want to win all the time as reflected in the gloating that surrounds any predictable 'triumphs'.  I know that personally, I'd hate my football experience to be like that.  I'd actually just lose interest and give up on it, if it simply consisted of watching wild mismatches.

They're not like that though.  It's fair enough I suppose, but I do think any appeal to them for a more egalitarian outlook is hopelessly doomed.  

This really is exactly how they want their football to be.  If it wasn't, their clubs would probably lose quite often and we've seen how well they handle that.

57 minutes ago, MS RR said:

It's not easy but it's not far from that, so basically not a big achievement 

The fact it will never happen again tells you what sort of achievement that is.

You keep telling yourself otherwise though and like others have already said on this thread it’s not a very good look.

Still curious as to why you care so much 🤔

9 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You keep telling yourself otherwise though and like others have already said on this thread it’s not a very good look.

If one OF side becomes similarly diminished once more, there's every chance of it happening again.

He probably cares because he's interested in Scottish football.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If one OF side becomes similarly diminished once more, there's every chance of it happening again.

He probably cares because he's interested in Scottish football.

That’s a rather significant IF.

However may I just point out that the trebles only started once Rangers were back in the league and not in the lower tiers so there certainly no guarantee that a diminished side of the OF makes that happen or we would have cleaned up every cup prior.

Secondly Celtic were massively diminished and a baw hair from being finished in the early 90’s while Rangers were hugely dominant in terms of results and finances and it didn’t happen then either. 

I’m happy to stick on my prediction that I’m not seeing that again in my lifetime. 

Edited by Jinky67

1 minute ago, Jinky67 said:

That’s a rather significant IF.

However may I just point out that the trebles only started once Rangers were back in the league and not in the lower tiers so there certainly no guarantee that a diminished side of the OF makes that happen or we would have cleaned up every cup prior.

Secondly Celtic were massively diminished and a baw hair from being finished in the early 90’s while Rangers were hugely dominant in terms of results and finances and it didn’t happen then either. 

I’m happy to stick on my prediction that I’m not seeing that again in my lifetime. 

Of course it's a big IF, but it's another massive factor in it having happened this time.

I'm well aware that the trebles only arrived when this iteration of Rangers got into the top flight.  It's part of what made Rangers' liquidation so wonderful.  Celtic coasted along with poor management, kept losing cup ties, flopping in Europe and coming back towards the pack in the League.  With Rangers on the scene, Celtic flexed their financial muscle, got a good manager and started this tiresome run, one that's now ending with another lousy manager.

In the 90s, Celtic didn't finish below 5th - hardly comparable to where Rangers have recently been.  The likes of Aberdeen were closer to Rangers then financially, than they are to Celtic now, thanks in part to where CL money has gone.

22 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

No team had ever won a treble in France, not Lyon or Marseille during there dominant periods yet PSG have done it 4 times in 6 years. Do you think PSG's achievement is exceptional and admirable? What would your view on that be?

I'm not dismissing the achievement or having a go at Celtic more that I am disappointed that football has allowed this scenario to not only happen but become the norm in most leagues that they are dominated by a small amount of teams.

6 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Duddies falling over themselves to say how shite it all is and that they are not even slightly bothered.

Keep it coming lads.

_methode_times_prod_web_bin_b0021086-6c4b-11e9-95be-9353feb218cd.jpeg

Who's saying they're not bothered?

I'm very bothered by it, because sport is best when it's not thoroughly predictable and when success is varied.

This infantile idea that to be bothered is somehow weak, so it should be denied, is just weird, but remarkably prevalent on here.

"At least you're not bothered" is as witless a post as it is a common one.

7 hours ago, ahemps said:

I know what you are saying and I take your point. Is this how you want football to be though? Do you not want genuine competition?

Can any body on here remember the 80's? I was too young to remember it but there were 4 different league winners and Hearts could have won it but they blew it on the last day. I believe Celtic and Rangers had low spells during this decade but still won the majority of domestic trophies. Was that a more enjoyable footballing time? Was it a more interesting period and does it not make winning more satisfying overcoming opponents who can genuinely challenge you?

It was one of the best footballing times , far superior to now. When Aberdeen and Utd were dominating Scotland and Europe, the sisters had brilliant players and achieved some good results in Europe ( but of course not winning anything or reaching finals ) but were still also rans

Also most teams consisted of good Scottish players

Edited by ewan14