Best player outwith the Old Firm

12 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Struck me today watching the Livi/Motherwell and Edinburgh Derby games that there's very few stand out quality players in the bottom 10 this season. Despite being significantly better than everyone below them so far, Aberdeen and Hibs feel much more like decent all round teams than relying on any one particular individual talent.

Based solely off the season so far you're probably looking at Lewis Ferguson as the Best of the Rest™️ so far, with maybe arguments to be made for Alan Campbell, Kevin Nisbet and Martin Boyle.  

Guys like Lawrence Shankland, Youssouf Mulumbu, Jonny Hayes, Declan Gallagher, Tony Watt and Ali McCann might be able to stake a claim if they can regain last season's form or maintain a bit more consistency.

Thoughts?

From Saints you'd be looking at McCann as the standout from last season, with Jason Kerr this season so far playing to a consistently high standard. Wotherspoon has been playing well, especially the past few matches.

In terms of the original question, Alan Campbell and Lewis Ferguson are definitely right up there. Thought Declan Gallagher was excellent last season, has he been performing at the same level this season? If so, then yes he'd be the stand out defender.

With my biased hat on there are a few AFC candidates - but agree with the earlier shout that circumstances mean we are very lucky to have Tommie Hoban.

Ferguson and McCrorie will both likely play at a higher level in years to come - Ferguson maybe sooner than we think if he keeps going the way he is.

For other clubs, Campbell looks the current standout.
The jury remains out on Shankland now he’s in the top flight.

2 hours ago, Don exotic said:

The Ryan Hedges of this season has been excellent.

I would agree with the Allan Campbell as a replacement for Scott Brown view, but doubtless Selick will try and haggle down the price and end up getting another foreigner on loan instead.

For me it’s Burke at Killie.

You would hope that Campbell shows a bit more ambition than Turnbull and Hastie and won’t go and be a bench warmer at the old firm.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

No chance.  McCann was head and shoulders above him last season.

This'll sound like I'm slagging McCann when I'm not, but I think McCann was better individually than Wotherspoon, but Wotherspoon makes those around him better, so when you combine that with his slightly less superior individual performance, I'd have Wotherspoon as the better player.

Sounds unnecessary complicated now I've written it down, but I don't think a players ability to improve the overall performance should be ignored.

59 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You would hope that Campbell shows a bit more ambition than Turnbull and Hastie and won’t go and be a bench warmer at the old firm.

Turnbull obviously has ability, and a better highlights reel, but based purely on the half dozen or so times I've seen them both play, I'd have Campbell ahead of Turnbull every time.

I've possibly been unfortunate to never see Turnbull hit the heights others seem to think he's capable of, but I really rate Campbell as a player.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Turnbull obviously has ability, and a better highlights reel, but based purely on the half dozen or so times I've seen them both play, I'd have Campbell ahead of Turnbull every time.

I've possibly been unfortunate to never see Turnbull hit the heights others seem to think he's capable of, but I really rate Campbell as a player.

I’d have hoped Turnbull would have been desperate to play after so long out but he’s not getting game time under Lennon.

I get the money is life changing for him but it’s sad to see him getting so little game time.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This'll sound like I'm slagging McCann when I'm not, but I think McCann was better individually than Wotherspoon, but Wotherspoon makes those around him better, so when you combine that with his slightly less superior individual performance, I'd have Wotherspoon as the better player.

Sounds unnecessary complicated now I've written it down, but I don't think a players ability to improve the overall performance should be ignored.

I think Spoony is a match winner and game changer, who will deliver man of the match performances. But I think he'll do this for a few games then have a few below par and drift out the team.  Whereas McCann last season, once he broke into the side, was on it every match. Rarely doing anything spectacular, just a brilliantly reliable and steady midfielder who ran the game for us.

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’d have hoped Turnbull would have been desperate to play after so long out but he’s not getting game time under Lennon.

I get the money is life changing for him but it’s sad to see him getting so little game time.

I'll be surprised if that changes anytime soon. He was anonymous in his start against us and got subbed off, but to be fair no Celtic player really covered themselves in glory that day.

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Marley Watkins has to be up there. He's played at a higher level and it shows.  Does everything that bit quicker, and better, and his eye for a pass is excellent. Plus he's rapid. 

I've been impressed when I've seen him this season, looks very slick on the ball. 

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I'll be surprised if that changes anytime soon. He was anonymous in his start against us and got subbed off, but to be fair no Celtic player really covered themselves in glory that day.

He’d maybe be better going out in loan in January. 

Unfortunately I don’t think he’ll improve with coaching from guys like Kennedy and Strachan 😔.

15 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Turnbull probably won't nail down a starting spot until one of Christie or Ntcham leaves but once he does he'll be comfortably one of the best players in Scotland.

Pretty much.

Obviously it was a done deal the moment he showed his knee wasn't made of cardboard but it also coincided with Celtic trying to ship Rogic out the door.

I'd imagine one of those 3 moving will leave a space for him to step into but equally Lennon seems the type of guy who'd think someone like Turnbull will have to "earn the right" to start (to use a Robinson-ism). And fair enough, the expectations of playing with Celtic are different to balling about the place with Motherwell.

It's 2 months since he moved it's a bit early for folk to be talking about him being loaned out and the like IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

8 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Marley Watkins has to be up there. He's played at a higher level and it shows.  Does everything that bit quicker, and better, and his eye for a pass is excellent. Plus he's rapid. 

I've always rated him; watched him for Inverness a few years ago against St Mirren and he was excellent.