Best player outwith the Old Firm

Struck me today watching the Livi/Motherwell and Edinburgh Derby games that there's very few stand out quality players in the bottom 10 this season. Despite being significantly better than everyone below them so far, Aberdeen and Hibs feel much more like decent all round teams than relying on any one particular individual talent.

Based solely off the season so far you're probably looking at Lewis Ferguson as the Best of the Rest™️ so far, with maybe arguments to be made for Alan Campbell, Kevin Nisbet and Martin Boyle.  

Guys like Lawrence Shankland, Youssouf Mulumbu, Jonny Hayes, Declan Gallagher, Tony Watt and Ali McCann might be able to stake a claim if they can regain last season's form or maintain a bit more consistency.

Thoughts?

I'm obviously biased, but I'd make the case for Tommie Hoban. He has strolled through the vast majority of his games this season and has often just looked a step above anyone else on the park - if it wasn't for his injuries, I don't think he would be anywhere near Scottish football at this point in his career. We've been beaten twice in the league this season, against Rangers and Motherwelll; coincidentally, or not, Hoban missed the Rangers game and the first half of the Motherwell game (which is when our defence went to shit and we conceded all three goals). 

The non-OF player from outwith Aberdeen I have been most impressed with when I have seen him against us this season has been Allan Campbell - he was head and shoulders the best player on the park in the aforementioned 3-0 game. 

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Struck me today watching the Livi/Motherwell and Edinburgh Derby games that there's very few stand out quality players in the bottom 10 this season. Despite being significantly better than everyone below them so far, Aberdeen and Hibs feel much more like decent all round teams than relying on any one particular individual talent.

Based solely off the season so far you're probably looking at Lewis Ferguson as the Best of the Rest™️ so far, with maybe arguments to be made for Alan Campbell, Kevin Nisbet and Martin Boyle.  

Guys like Lawrence Shankland, Youssouf Mulumbu, Jonny Hayes, Declan Gallagher, Tony Watt and Ali McCann might be able to stake a claim if they can regain last season's form or maintain a bit more consistency.

Thoughts?

Boyle has been pish for a while now. 

Most rounded player, you're probably looking at people like Lewis Fergus on.

Most important to their team, the likes of Chris Burke I'd imagine. 

The pler you'd most like to see in your own clubs strip, well, there's only one pler here in this category. 

0.jpg.dbe6d51b8c265a95642ac58addd69056.jpg

Marley Watkins has to be up there. He's played at a higher level and it shows.  Does everything that bit quicker, and better, and his eye for a pass is excellent. Plus he's rapid. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

McCann isn't even our best player.

Aye, hasn't been very good at all this year. Dunno, was picking on the standard they've reached rather than form when trying to make a list in my head (hence why Allan is anywhere near it). Who has been your best player this year according to that metric you worked out? Spoony? He's looked excellent in highlights recently

FWIW...

GK: Joe Lewis

FB: Jonny Hayes

CB: Declan Gallagher

CM: Lewis Ferguson

WM: David Wotherspoon 

ST: Cosgrove 

Don't think there's any coincidence Aberdeen are comfortably the 3rd best side.

Wotherspoon the "dodgy" shout but honestly, in terms of consistent output I don't think any other wide player comes close. He's only let down by players sclaffing the chance he's put on a plate for them.

1 minute ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Aye, hasn't been very good at all this year. Dunno, was picking on the standard they've reached rather than form when trying to make a list in my head (hence why Allan is anywhere near it). Who has been your best player this year according to that metric you worked out? Spoony? He's looked excellent in highlights recently

Wotherspoon has been our best player for about 18 months.

The dreadful form last season, then resurgence, almost exactly matches him being out the team and then returning.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW...

FB: Jonny Hayes

CB: Declan Gallagher

CM: Lewis Ferguson

WM: David Wotherspoon 

ST: Cosgrove 

Don't think there's any coincidence Aberdeen are comfortably the 3rd best side.

Wotherspoon the "dodgy" shout but honestly, in terms of consistent output I don't think any other wide player comes close. He's only let down by players sclaffing the chance he's put on a plate for them.

Lewis has been very consistent the last few years but Siegrist must be the form keeper in the league. 

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW...

Big Joe’s generally very good for us and ,with the notable exception of Danny Ward, he’s a clear upgrade on what we had for the previous decade or so. But he throws in the odd absolute howler and lets in a fair amount of soft goals .....which explains why he’s not playing at a higher level.

Even before his heroics yesterday , I’d have to say that Craig Gordon is the best keeper outwith the Old Cancer. 

21 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Lewis has been very consistent the last few years but Siegrist must be the form keeper in the league. 

Siegrist has played about 10 top flight games in his career m8. Lewis has been one of the best keepers in the league (including the OF) for years.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wotherspoon has been our best player for about 18 months.

The dreadful form last season, then resurgence, almost exactly matches him being out the team and then returning.

Glad to hear it, he's a class player who's been hamstrung by his versatility (or certainly was at Hibs) but the type of player every team needs.

Eta Out of curiosity @RandomGuy. Where are you getting your stats from? Do you have like an individual subscription to Wyscout? 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan