Marius Zaliukas dies

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Cant really remember much about his footballing abilities but do remember this

My clearest memory of Zaliukas is him playing for Hearts against Ayr United and slipping while attempting a clearance, which allowed Gareth Wardlaw to nick the ball off him and score an equaliser.

It sounds harsh that reading his name instantly reminded me of that particular incident, and I felt kind of bad for remembering him for that.

However, he was a better player than that memory would suggest. He was Hearts cup winning captain back in 2012 and was rightly highly regarded during his time there.

Rest in peace big fella.

17 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

Vaccine. Who said it was COVID?

16 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Apparently he had Motor Neurone Disease. Fucking hell. Poor guy.

Oh, man! That's awful. I just assumed, given the pandemic.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Apparently he had Motor Neurone Disease. Fucking hell. Poor guy.

You know something, I remember back to his days at Rangers, he'd completely fallen off a cliff compared to the player he was at Hearts, despite playing at a lower level and although folk found it funny as it was a Rangers player making all manner of errors, folk couldn't understand at all how he could lose such basic abilities in such a short space of time. 

As soon as I heard MND earlier, my mind was instantly cast back to then and of course, it makes a bit more sense in that context. 

Absolutely horrific disease. 

25 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

You know something, I remember back to his days at Rangers, he'd completely fallen off a cliff compared to the player he was at Hearts, despite playing at a lower level and although folk found it funny as it was a Rangers player making all manner of errors, folk couldn't understand at all how he could lose such basic abilities in such a short space of time. 

As soon as I heard MND earlier, my mind was instantly cast back to then and of course, it makes a bit more sense in that context. 

Absolutely horrific disease. 

Really sad news. For such a relatively rare condition, it seems to affect sports people disproportionately - quite a number have had this horrible diagnosis in the last few years.

26 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Really sad news. For such a relatively rare condition, it seems to affect sports people disproportionately - quite a number have had this horrible diagnosis in the last few years.

I don't think that's right. Consider how many sports people there are in the world and then consider the number of cases.

I think it's more that sports people are more high profile so we hear about the (exceptionally rare) cases when such folk get that horrible diagnosis.

You won't hear about office workers getting it but is the rate they get it any less than professional athletes? 

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't think that's right. Consider how many sports people there are in the world and then consider the number of cases.

I think it's more that sports people are more high profile so we hear about the (exceptionally rare) cases when such folk get that horrible diagnosis.

You won't hear about office workers getting it but is the rate they get it any less than professional athletes? 

Yeah. One of the managers in my old work got it at around 50. Fit wee guy, played 5s 4 times a week type of fella. 

Within 3 months of his diagnosis, it had turned his motor functions and speech so devastatingly, that if you didn't know him, would have thought he was either blind drunk or born with special needs. And yet aside from the odd week off now and then, he soldiered through for about 3 years until he couldn't work anymore, despite being offered a lucrative package to retire and try and make the most of the rest of his time. It's a horrifying and terrifying thing to watch another human being go through it in such close proximity.

As we all know, there are a swathe of illness and diseases out there that you hope you never, ever get. The thought of having Motor Neurone is the one that scares me the most though, it's an end that no-one deserves.