Lowland Trapdoorwatch 2020-21

FairWeatherFan

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Looking increasingly likely that a licensed team will win the South of Scotland, so we're going to be looking at the unfair scenario where one of the two teams actually capable of being promoted will have home advantage in the only game that's likely to matter.

Or if the east v west game is a draw then it's basically a case of who can score the most against the SOS winners. Unless Abbey Vale or Creetown can go on a run and Stranraer reserves take points off St Cuthbert/Threave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With it looking possible VOL may over take Gretna, would Gretna drop into the EoS or SoS? I know Gretna are associated with both organisations but recent legacy is in the EoS, all be it pre pyramid expansion days.....if they do end up relegated surely better chance of coming back from the SoS than EoS.  

4 minutes ago, morley said:

With it looking possible VOL may over take Gretna, would Gretna drop into the EoS or SoS? I know Gretna are associated with both organisations but recent legacy is in the EoS, all be it pre pyramid expansion days.....if they do end up relegated surely better chance of coming back from the SoS than EoS.  

South.

I can't remember if they were on the original list that was public when the LL was formed. However, since asking league officials over the years they've always been designated as a South club.

The make up and membership of the East has changed greatly since they joined in 2008. The South at least represents bottoming out and the only thing they may lose is the EoS Qualifying Cup.

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The make up and membership of the East has changed greatly since they joined in 2008. The South at least represents bottoming out and the only thing they may lose is the EoS Qualifying Cup.

Suppose that would depend on whether they need to denounce they EOSFA membership when relegated (don't see why they would need to, it's a bit like being a SJFA or Fife FA member).

6 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Suppose that would depend on whether they need to denounce they EOSFA membership when relegated (don't see why they would need to, it's a bit like being a SJFA or Fife FA member).

When I say lose, I'm thinking of that more as resigning. The SoSFL is pretty good at managing the league fixtures around the many cups their teams play in. Not signing up for the Wigtownshire & District FA would give some extra flexibility to squeeze in the couple of rounds they'd likely appear in the Qualifying Cup.

18 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Apologies if this has been answered before, but what is the maximum number of teams which could be relegated in any one season from the LL? I know there are various permutations, and I was wondering if the more informed posters on here could clarify it.

Two can go down.

One from having a Licenced Tier 6 Champion.

The second requires the HL Champion to win promotion and Club 42 to be relegated to the LL. Currently Fraserburgh win promotion to the SPFL and Cowdenbeath relegated to the LL.

7 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Two can go down.

One from having a Licenced Tier 6 Champion.

The second requires the HL Champion to win promotion and Club 42 to be relegated to the LL. Currently Fraserburgh win promotion to the SPFL and Cowdenbeath relegated to the LL.

Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

VoL now even with Gretna on games played after the latter team's game was postponed today, and Vale managed to grab a rare point and an even more rare clean sheet in a scoreless draw against East Kilbride, a quite incredible achievement on the face of it. Six points between them now, can the Vale turn it around?

image.png.ac5ea8254b187f27de7093f227f4bf82.png

image.png.05b47ff85aa441c0b962cc818b7f405d.png

• 3 weeks later...

A look at the remaining six fixtures for each team at the bottom. Gretna:

• Civil Service Strollers
  • East Stirlingshire (away)
  • Stirling Uni
  • Caley Braves (away)
  • Cumbernauld Colts 
  • Bo'ness United (away, tbc)

Vale of Leithen fixtures - they'll be hoping for Cowdenbeath to catch Elgin and then Bonnyrigg to go up.

• Dalbeattie Star
  • Gala Fairydean Rovers (away)
  • Broomhill
  • Cumbernauld Colts (away)
  • Edinburgh Uni
  • Caley Braves (tbc)

15 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Bear in mind that Elgin getting relegated and Bonnyrigg Rose promoted would mean no relegation from the LL. Recent form at the foot of League Two is making that scenario look more likely than it did earlier in the season.

I thought there would be relegation? Bottom team goes down if there is a licensed tier 6 club to come up. It’s the second bottom team who could breathe a wee bit easier.

Apologies if I have interpreted that scenario wrongly.

7 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I thought there would be relegation? Bottom team goes down if there is a licensed tier 6 club to come up. It’s the second bottom team who could breathe a wee bit easier.

Apologies if I have interpreted that scenario wrongly.

If Elgin City are Club 42 and Bonnyrigg wins promotion it leaves the Lowland League at 15 clubs. The Tier 6 Champion wins promotion and fills the 16th spot, meaning no relegation.