Lowland Trapdoorwatch 2020-21

FairWeatherFan

I was looking at the latest scores and Edinburgh University v Gretna 2008 got a mention for their clash at the bottom end of the table. It got me thinking if relegation is really a thing this year?

It was mentioned previously that any team that withdraws before a certain deadline there would be no penalty. The Lowland League also amended their rules to 'temporarily' allow for expansion to 18 clubs.

The only way they would exceed 18 clubs is if the SPFL Playoff sees another example of HL champion promoted - SPFL42 relegated to the LL.

So is there a real relegation battle this year?

I think Raman's tweet is the only place we've seen it said that clubs can withdraw in December?

I suppose if a club does pull out then like the WOSFL the only way for there to be no penalty is if there's no relegation. But hopefully that doesn't happen, as clearly the bottom 3/4 are on borrowed time - if not this season then surely they would just be delaying the inevitable, until more clubs are relegated to get back to 16 clubs?

Long way to go but Brechin's win against Albion Rovers also increases the chance of a Lowland team coming down.

Edited by Ginaro

9 hours ago, Ginaro said:

I think Raman's tweet is the only place we've seen it said that clubs can withdraw in December?

I suppose if a club does pull out then like the WOSFL the only way for there to be no penalty is if there's no relegation. But hopefully that doesn't happen, as clearly the bottom 3/4 are on borrowed time - if not this season then surely they would just be delaying the inevitable, until more clubs are relegated to get back to 16 clubs?

Long way to go but Brechin's win against Albion Rovers also increases the chance of a Lowland team coming down.

It's more the lack of noise of relegating additional clubs to get back down to 16 and the move in their rules allowing 18 clubs that make me wonder if there's no chance of relegation this year.

The EoS made things pretty clear they were getting back to a 16 team Premier this season. Going by the LL's moves it looks more like delaying dealing with that until the 2021-22 season.

8 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:
12 hours ago, craigiemack said:
I actually don't want relegation this year unless its Edinburgh Uni finishing bottom. Would like to go to Vale of Leithen before they inevitably go down. 

You're not missing anything. VOL are fortunate to still be in the league and will continue to struggle

You'd be missing a pint of fine ale in the Traquair Arms hotel if Vale went down.

Priorities, man, priorities!

I'd be very surprised if there is any relegation this season. If the teams bottom at Christmas can withdraw without penalty and preserve their position in the league, why wouldn't they? It would certainly make the top of the table interesting as i would imagine the results against any team withdrawing would be expunged. 

On 31/10/2020 at 23:09, craigiemack said:

I actually don't want relegation this year unless its Edinburgh Uni finishing bottom. Would like to go to Vale of Leithen before they inevitably go down. 

Was always a great place to visit and a tough fixture as well. Sadly not been competitive for what, 10 years?

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

To be fair they've had a few troubles behind the scenes in that time. 

That's usually how it starts at a club eh Newky 😉

2 hours ago, gogsy said:

Competitive against BSC a couple of weeks ago. Competitive at Berwick as well.

Aye competing in matches Gogsy, no exactly the same as competing for leagues and cups like they were when I started watching Whitehill.

Vale's recent results: http://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/vale of leithen.html

They are one of three teams yet to win a LL game in 2020. Big game coming up against Gretna this Saturday. And could end up being a dramatic end to the season at the bottom...

• 7th November - Gretna v Vale of Leithen
  • 14th November - Dalbeattie Star v Edinburgh Uni
  • 5th December - Edinburgh Uni v Vale of Leithen
  • 19th December - Vale of Leithen v Dalbeattie Star
  • 26th December - Dalbeattie Star v Gretna
  • 1st January - Gretna v Dalbeattie Star
  • 3rd April - Vale of Leithen v Edinburgh Uni
  • 10th April - Dalbeattie Star v Vale of Leithen and Gretna v Edinburgh Uni
  • 17th April - Vale of Leithen v Gretna and Edinburgh Uni v Dalbeattie Star
Edited by Ginaro

45 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Looking at the EOS league tables its over 25 years since they competed regularly at the top end of the EOS league, spent a fair amount of their time in the EOS first division .

Aye I should have said I first went to WW games in 85 or 86.

On 01/11/2020 at 02:41, selfassemblyshire said:
On 31/10/2020 at 23:09, craigiemack said:

You're not missing anything. VOL are fortunate to still be in the league and will continue to struggle

The absolute, monumental, brass neck of an East Stirling fan calling another team fortunate to be still in a league system btw.