Sean Connery dies at 90

Bairnardo

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Connery was not a great actor but had a great career playing Sean Connery - he had some fantastic films but also some stinkers - not down to him but shit awful scripts.

For me his views on women were reprehensible - I just wonder if people would look on him so favourably if he was not a supporter of independence?

Would people be dredging up his views on women, if he had continued to keep his politics quiet? The BBC used to actively encourage Jim Davidson to do his Chalky White routines and it was once viewed as OK and hilarious for the Tartan Army to sing something very non-PC about Jimmy Hill ad nauseam. Sean Connery's views were from another era that we have thankfully moved on from. Few things used to beat having one of his Bond films on the TV before VCRs entered the picture. Was good to see someone unapologetically Scottish achieving something like that in those days and he'll always be viewed as a legend for that.

As nobody's actually typed it out, I think his philosophy (up to the Eighties, at least) was that women like to push men's buttons to wind them up and, in those circumstances, it's acceptable to give them a slap in order to bring them back in line.

Absolute dinosaur thinking from a different age. Will be interesting to see if there are any anecdotal stories in the press now he's away. Used to see the occasional story about him being a shit father to Jason Connery, which Robin of Sherwood always denied.

12 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

Finding forester was my personal favourite

I remember nothing about that film, other than his excellent tip for wearing socks inside out for comfort.

I've chosen to believe that the auld yin personally added that in. Doesn't quite make up for some of his other top tips, but.

38 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

As nobody's actually typed it out, I think his philosophy (up to the Eighties, at least) was that women like to push men's buttons to wind them up and, in those circumstances, it's acceptable to give them a slap in order to bring them back in line.

Absolute dinosaur thinking from a different age. Will be interesting to see if there are any anecdotal stories in the press now he's away. Used to see the occasional story about him being a shit father to Jason Connery, which Robin of Sherwood always denied.

He ruined that show.

38 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

Finding forester was my personal favourite.... Highlander is up there with one of the best worst films I’ve ever seen!!

He worked in the town I stayed in before he fucked off to America, sure he built coffins or something like that!!!

Cruisin' for a piece of ass?

I remember nothing about that film, other than his excellent tip for wearing socks inside out for comfort.
I've chosen to believe that the auld yin personally added that in. Doesn't quite make up for some of his other top tips, but.

I actually do that after watching the film!!!

I’ve never seen a single James Bond film, I do like the untouchables and the rock!

I dont know where the "bad actor" chat is coming from. He did not have a great range  in terms of accents but he had a very commanding presence. He built Bond into a franchise when franchises were virtually unknown. It was a one man MCU when people expected different characters every film. He walked onto a screen and looked dangerous, its a hard act to pull off. 

He also helped carry films where he was obviously not in the right accent. Films like Hunt for Red October, its a big hit. You know he is not Russian, (or was it Lithuanian?) but he drew audiences into his character. Look at the recent show Chernobyl, out of place accents but actors hitting their lines like a damned baseball bat. 

There is a reason a small number of people get to lead a lot of big money films. They pull you into the experience and switch off about how unreal and utter nonsense it is. 

From Wikipedia:

At a muscular 6'2", Connery was initially met with disapproval from Fleming, who believed he was an overgrown stuntman lacking the finesse and elegance to play James Bond; he envisaged a suave actor, such as David Niven, playing the role. Producer Albert R. Broccoli—known to all as Cubby—disagreed with Fleming's view, later commenting that "I wanted a ballsy guy ... put a bit of veneer over that tough Scottish hide and you've got Fleming's Bond instead of all the mincing poofs we had applying for the job".

15 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

From Wikipedia:

At a muscular 6'2", Connery was initially met with disapproval from Fleming, who believed he was an overgrown stuntman lacking the finesse and elegance to play James Bond; he envisaged a suave actor, such as David Niven, playing the role. Producer Albert R. Broccoli—known to all as Cubby—disagreed with Fleming's view, later commenting that "I wanted a ballsy guy ... put a bit of veneer over that tough Scottish hide and you've got Fleming's Bond instead of all the mincing poofs we had applying for the job".

6e628683c91aac10ba6ff24505870615.jpg