Sean Connery dies at 90

Bairnardo

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'd do exactly the same, I just wouldn't portray myself as some sort of patriotic role model and pass opinion on my ex-country's politics.

I probably wouldn't batter my wife either.

Given you said on the Dead Pool thread that "someone will die soon" a couple of hours before the news broke all I can do is repeat Carter's words to Regan at the end of "The Sweeney" movie:

"You! You killed 'im!"

9 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Loved that story about him that ended with the line "Petula Clark, Nineteen Shixty Three, Up the Arshe."

I heard it was Shofia Loren.

If we're recommending Connery films to watch, I've always been partial to his downbeat performance in The Offence, and space thriller/stylistic Alien rip-off Outland is worth a look. The Name of the Rose is an even better murder-mystery, similar oppressive atmosphere, but very different setting. The Hill is a stunning film that's unfortunately difficult to get hold of these days. The Man Who Would Be King is obviously a superb old-school adventure and moral tale.

The wife still swears his best film is Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

My favourite Connery tale is that he was offered the role of Gandalf in The Lord of The Rings trilogy but turned it down because he didn't understand the script.

After seeing the success, he decided that the next time he was offered something he didn't understand, he'd jump at it hence the clusterfuck that was The League of Extraordinary Gentleman. After that was released - he thought, nah f**k this, I'm done. 

That and the fact that Steven Seagal broke Sean Connery's wrist and he didn't realise until many years later.

Edited by Ludo*1

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

My favourite Connery tale is that he was offered the role of Gandalf in The Lord of The Rings trilogy but turned it down because he didn't understand the script.

After seeing the success, he decided that the next time he was offered something he didn't understand, he'd jump at it hence The League of Gentleman. After that was released - he thought, nah f**k this, I'm done. 

That and the fact that Steven Seagal broke Sean Connery's wrist and he didn't realise until many years later.

He appears to have had awful quality control. Did quite a few poor films and seems to have turned down a tonne of roles that he'd have been perfect for.

The rumour was that his attachment to a project depended heavily upon the quality of golf courses in the vicinity of the shooting locations.

Oh Shut up, he fucked off the first chance he got.
Ok mate. Whatever you say, man was probably the most famous Scotsman in world. Coupled with this he always identified first and foremost as Scottish. (In fairness only Scottish tbh) Guy dies, it's a pretty sad day for Scottish people.
To not understand this is quite sad.

Loved Sir Sean. Grew up watching him destroy a plethora of baddies and shag his way around the globe.

It's rare for me to as much as stop what I'm doing when I hear of the death of an actor, singer, whatever but I'm not afraid to admit I shed a tear for him.

Rest In Peace.

15 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I heard it was Shofia Loren.

If we're recommending Connery films to watch, I've always been partial to his downbeat performance in The Offence, and space thriller/stylistic Alien rip-off Outland is worth a look. The Name of the Rose is an even better murder-mystery, similar oppressive atmosphere, but very different setting. The Hill is a stunning film that's unfortunately difficult to get hold of these days. The Man Who Would Be King is obviously a superb old-school adventure and moral tale.

The wife still swears his best film is Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

It's very good.

Just told the wean that Connery was away, and he was surprisingly shocked. Expressed surprise that he knew who he was, and he said, "well, yeah, I've heard you talk about him about a thousand times"  :lol:

Might need to have a Connery weekend. He might only know him as Indy's dad.