The Ambient Thread

Jimi Shandrix

Boards of Canada. Music has the Right to Children and Geogaddi in particular. Music is Maths is used as the backing track to an old (and super weird) video series called Salad Fingers. 

Not really "ambient" but Bonobo has come cracking stuff in a very down tempo style.

Future Sound of London have some amazing stuff, ISDN and Lifeforms may be the highlights. 

Some of the Dead Can Dance stuff would fit here though I would have to think about which ones.

Again not quite ambient (sort of deep house\folk) but David August has some pretty ace mixes, his 2014 BoilerRoom is on Youtube and probably will hit the mark for ambient fans. 

Radiohead definitely had some ambient high points around Kid A and Amnesiac. Everything in its Right Place being perhaps the standout of that genre. (This fan video is worth a watch.)

The Avalanches first album Since I Left You has some great use of ambient in its no one knows what genera it was (sadly only really known for the single Frontier Psychiatry) Since I left You being a highlight. 

Burial already mentioned but their team up with Four Tet for Moth is amazing (again strictly more downtemp)

Aphex mentioned already but his Analogue Bubble Bath is another top album from this kind of genera (released as AFX).

Lots of Warp and Ninja Tunes artists. Speaking of which Chris Clark is  techno and pretty meaty techno at this but Herzog is very sound scapey in its use of cymbals is awesome (seen him at Bangface 2017, what a bloody night)

Odd factoid. The KLF are an offshoot of The Orb, Jimmy Cauty was in the The Orb with Alex Paterson but split to form his own band The KLF hence why The White Album is so ambient. 

While absolutely not ambient, the king of downtempo for me is Leftism. I think I have seen it live 3 times when they were touring a few years ago. As an album (for me) its on a par with Aphex for the best electronic music album ever released. 

• 3 weeks later...

Taken delivery today of an excellent double album on Tigersushi called "Musique Ambiante Francaise Vol 2". It's like a particularly shimmering edition of Kompakt's "Pop Ambient" series. Very nice. This is a bit of a favourite so far by Fille Unique.

• 4 weeks later...