Burmah Oil

Scottish Cup saved!

Just got news off of our chairman the SFA has dumped there plans for cutting the Scottish Cup and only taking in ten teams from the pyramid in a lottery. And gone to the Plan B the East of Scotland match secretary had put in for taking all the teams.

Not gotten all the news yet but all the teams ok to play if want to play. Burgh are in and all. Two wins to get to same round as Hearts Dundee and the Pars.

Great job by the league comittee. Saved the cup for all the non league teams!

Thank you Gogsy. Players will be bouncing tomorrow this is what the team and the comittee worked for last two seasons. Just make sure we hit all the rules and can put a new chapter in to our history if get two wins could be Tynecastle or East end Park.

I would have biten off your hand for North End park Dundee Gosgy. Was expectin no cup for us this year. Great for every team.

Brilliant stuff, hope all is clubs meet any criteria and when it happens, maybe the spfl clubs can help out too. Keeps the cup interesting and gives everyone a chance of the 'Big Payday' etc. Would any of the ties be switched to a spfl ground if need be ? Be great IF fans could get back in as well, well done the SFA.

Hope I’m not over thinking things but the changing room criteria look prohibitive to me. Wording seems to suggest more strict than league rules.   Many clubs won’t have enough rooms to house both teams and officials indoors? Hope I’m wrong...

9 minutes ago, norwichbobby said:

Hope I’m not over thinking things but the changing room criteria look prohibitive to me. Wording seems to suggest more strict than league rules.   Many clubs won’t have enough rooms to house both teams and officials indoors? Hope I’m wrong...

Teams can decline to participate as well though. I'm sure if theres any anomalies theyll pull out. 🤔

That format looks much better than the "normal" one. Let's hope they'll keep it in future seasons (with the exception of replays being brought back).

Edited by Marten

8 minutes ago, Marten said:

That format looks much better than the "normal" one. Let's hope they'll keep it in future seasons (with the exception of replayes being brought back).

Replays in FA Cup prelims go straight to pens. That could be another option 

2 hours ago, norwichbobby said:

I'm not sure they can be stricter than what's happening at league level. Just because it opens up questions over the safety of the league protocols, which didn't the SFA only just put into place? 

Lots of East of Scotlands changing rooms not any worse han League One and League two changing rooms. Lowland already got oks for most of there changing rooms. Lots just like Easts. Heard East has got twelve or sixteen ok already, but inspectors been going slow. Been told Sports Scotland got new guide lines coming about using changing rooms in repeats of five or six and for that you need air flows. Secretary and groundsman doing it.

Boys would give away team both changing rooms if it got the game on. Some teams are getting in cabins and marques and all.

Whatever the attraction of Gorgie... or sunny Dunfermline... it could in theory need 3 victories, not 2: as if just a few entrants scratch, then a few ties will need contested in Preliminary R1 on Nov 28th, rather than the round evaporate entirely.

Truncated format actually gives a rare opportunity. Normally an EOSL club requires 3 victories to reach SPFL opposition and 5 to reach Premiership: now it's 1 and 3 (and only 1 of those in a round with majority of SPFL teams i.e. could easily draw fellow non-leaguers throughout).

Everyone also 1 victory from potentially gracing Hampden v Queen's Park.

11 hours ago, Burmah Oil said:

Lots of East of Scotlands changing rooms not any worse han League One and League two changing rooms. Lowland already got oks for most of there changing rooms. Lots just like Easts. Heard East has got twelve or sixteen ok already, but inspectors been going slow. Been told Sports Scotland got new guide lines coming about using changing rooms in repeats of five or six and for that you need air flows. Secretary and groundsman doing it.

Boys would give away team both changing rooms if it got the game on. Some teams are getting in cabins and marques and all.

The requirements are you need to provide changing accomodation for home, away and match officials. Sadly, many clubs will struggle to meet that under current requirements.    If the updated guidelines include a shuttle system (6 in at a time) all well and good, but if it means your changing rooms need some form of ventilation system (and not just an open door or window......) then that too will knock it on the head for many.   The easy thing to do is scratch and take the guaranteed payment.

I'll be surprised is there isn't a fair number of withdrawals.  Hopefully not.

25 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

The requirements are you need to provide changing accomodation for home, away and match officials. Sadly, many clubs will struggle to meet that under current requirements.    If the updated guidelines include a shuttle system (6 in at a time) all well and good, but if it means your changing rooms need some form of ventilation system (and not just an open door or window......) then that too will knock it on the head for many.   The easy thing to do is scratch and take the guaranteed payment.

If they are going to allow a shuttle system it shouldnt be a problem 

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

And it'll be the last chance, with QP due to move to Lesser Hampden in Spring 2021.

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Surely it can't be too difficult or expensive to hire industrial-strength extractors if necessary?

Mind you, In February in Scotland I wouldn't even want the window open.

Obviously the key factor is that the regulations on dressing rooms should be the same for all clubs, not laxer or harsher for those playing in certain leagues, plus minimum requirements on safety (if not on provision) must be consistent with those being required in the leagues. It's not as if everyone in SPFL1 & SPFL2 have palatial pavilions, and everyone in non-league football have broom cupboards. I understand some of the best provision outwith Premiership & Championship have actually been found in Lowland and EOS... various clubs have 3G facilities with extra dressing rooms available, social clubs within the ground which they've been converting, etc.

From the Last 32 onwards it doesn't seem to have been explicitly specified whether a club drawn against a Premiership club will have to pay for a round of tests themselves or have it paid for them. SPFL League Cup groups the club had to pay for it themself - though some Premiership offerred to pay for it on their opponents behalf; not sure about knockouts; in the abortive SPFL Challenge Cup the Premiership club would have had to pay. Governing body paying would be another way. Thankfully by that stage the prizemoney is into 5 figures, and non-league v Premiership tie would almost certainly be on TV which is a payment of several 10s of thousands of £; so even if club had to pay for it themself, it would be a fraction of their money before even considering crowds.

It seems unlikely to me there will actually be any PR1 on November 28th. It would only require 8 clubs out of 106 to scratch - or even fewer in the unlikely event any SPFL or top 2 HL/LL did. Of those 106 there are 2 who have withdrawn from league football this season. Depending where lots of their players come from the 3 universities could also have issues playing a tie over the long weekend between Christmas and New Year which might enter their thinking? It doesn't take much for those sorts of special logistical factors, issues over dressing rooms, or a few clubs who expect to take a hiding, and 106 drops to 98 or fewer leaving them only 1 victory from the real guts of the competition.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

And it'll be the last chance, with QP due to move to Lesser Hampden in Spring 2021.

True enough. Few years ago Preston Athletic actually held QP to a draw at Hampden. Sadly they narrowly lost the replay at Pennypit.

Per what I said yesterday - this truncated format does actually open up these sort of opportunities. Forget about PR1 as most clubs will get a bye, or it'll evaporate entirely. They are now 1 victory (100% guaranteed to be against a fellow non-league club) from R1 and chance to face SPFL opposition including likes of Queen's Park... or 2 victories (100% and 75% to be against fellow non-league clubs) from R2 and chance to face likes of Dundee and Hearts; or 3 victories (100%, 75% and ~50%) from the Last 32 and likes of Rangers, Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen.

I suppose an example would be Broxburn. Last season they had to beat Tynecastle, Girvan and East Stirlingshire for the chance to face Cowdenbeath; then Inverurie to reach St Mirren.

This season the sequence would be 2 steps shorter and simply Tynecastle, Cowdenbeath, Inverurie, St Mirren.

On 27/10/2020 at 23:30, HibeeJibee said:

Whatever the attraction of Gorgie... or sunny Dunfermline... it could in theory need 3 victories, not 2: as if just a few entrants scratch, then a few ties will need contested in Preliminary R1 on Nov 28th, rather than the round evaporate entirely.

Truncated format actually gives a rare opportunity. Normally an EOSL club requires 3 victories to reach SPFL opposition and 5 to reach Premiership: now it's 1 and 3 (and only 1 of those in a round with majority of SPFL teams i.e. could easily draw fellow non-leaguers throughout).

Did the sfa not sort a deal to take over hampden 

1 hour ago, magoo said:

Did the sfa not sort a deal to take over hampden 

SFA's already acquired Hampden from QP (IIRC) but deal allowed them to stay until end of 2020 while rebuilding Lesser Hampden - since extended to middle of 2021.

Talking of TV money - if same arrangements apply as last season there should be 1 tie on BBC Scotland digital channel in each of PR2, R1 and R2.