The US Presidential election prediction thread

ICTChris

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I read a good thread about the AWS thing with Parler.  They are binning them because they refused to stop incitements to commit crimes from appearing on their platform.  

Says something important about the mentality of the American far right that they thought they could get away with being so brazen about this. Prancing about without a mask in a public building you are most definitely not legally allowed to break into that has security cameras all over the place is going to lead to what exactly? Anyone with the IQ of the average 10 year old should be able to grasp that it is a one way ticket to sharing a bunk bed with Bubba down at the county jail. Trump did them a major disservice by weakening Capitol security to the point that doing this was actually possible, but a malignant narcissist doesn't care less about what ultimately happens to the mugs he manipulates.

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This includes the letter they got from Amazon with a couple of examples of posts they were complaining about not getting taken down.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/johnpaczkowski/amazon-parler-aws

I’m loving the (presumably irony-free) use of ‘#BLMTerrorists’ after a post calling for the assassination of NBA players.

There is a move towards making tech companies liable for content that they host (much to their annoyance), so it's no surprise that companies are starting to wash their hands of dodgy content. The days of putting their hands up and absolving themselves of blame by merely providing a service are soon to be over. 

Free speech is not a defence to attempted crimes such as incitement or conspiracy. 

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Dunno if this has been covered, but it seems that Parler is funded by the same people who fund Breitbart and Cambridge Analytica, and the family who introduced Trump to Steve Bannon.

So aye, think we can all safely disregard their “neutral platform for free speech” schtick. 

Cambridge Analytica have been used by political groups from every side of the spectrum. 

The SNP sought their services for the 2016 elections. 

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

There is a move towards making tech companies liable for content that they host (much to their annoyance), so it's no surprise that companies are starting to wash their hands of dodgy content. The days of putting their hands up and absolving themselves of blame by merely providing a service are soon to be over. 

Free speech is not a defence to attempted crimes such as incitement or conspiracy. 

Classifying social media sites as ‘publishers’ is an inevitability imo.

There will be positive and negative consequences of this.

11 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Cambridge Analytica have been used by political groups from every side of the spectrum. 

Link is worth a read.

DbfT-gCXkAAubGd?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://www.snp.org/complete-correspondence-between-snp-and-cambridge-analytica-scl-group/

17 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Maybe so, but I don’t think there’s any doubt whatsoever as to which side of the political spectrum they have closer ties to.

8 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Maybe so, but I don’t think there’s any doubt whatsoever as to which side of the political spectrum they have closer ties to.

It's not true anyway. Don't believe a word that nutter says without verification.

22 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I dont think a data analytics firm has loyalty to politics, they're literally just selling data to make money, no political motive needed when both sides buy from you. 

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Interest? After raising the issue I thought you'd be curious to know more about it.

Not overly, it doesn't dispute my claim or provide me with anything new that's noteworthy tbh. 

1 minute ago, Stormzy said:

Not overly, it doesn't dispute my claim or provide me with anything new that's noteworthy tbh. 

They didn't "seek" their services, they asked what they were offering and decided it wasn't for them.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They didn't "seek" their services, they asked what they were offering and decided it wasn't for them.

So now you are trying to disprove what I said when you first said it was just posted out of curiosity or interest... you could've just said so the first time.

Anyway, what I said wasn't wrong so the nutter that is Gordon S and yourself can stop being such SNP sycophants and try to understand the initial point I was making by mentioning the SNP...

"The Scottish National party has admitted it sought help for its election campaigning from Cambridge Analytica, after it came under mounting pressure to disclose its dealings with the company.

The emails show the SNP made the first approach to Cambridge Analytica and suggest the party wanted help fighting the Holyrood elections in May 2016, when it faced losing seats to the Conservatives, Labour and the Lib Dems.

He said he was “keen to have a chat” and later emails show the SNP was interested in its “high-level offerings”.

14 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I don't understand what's being argued about. All parties use data analytics firms to campaign, that's a given. The SNP got a consultant to sound out one company in particular and on the basis of his advice, didn't engage their services. Fairly uncontroversial, no?

Exactly. 

I believe this issue is comprehension, fairly easy to follow but some people struggle to engage with the words that are in front of them and just go off what they think is being said.

28 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

some people struggle to engage with the words that are in front of them

I can't disagree with you there, sweetcheeks. Nice to see you've got a wee bit of insight into your behaviour.