The US Presidential election prediction thread

ICTChris

13 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I don't draw distinctions between parts of the security state. The Guardian article above explains that almost all of his correspondence is censored and that he is held in segregation.

I find it very strange that Mair had an accomplice but very little has been said about it.

You *should* draw distinctions between criminal justice bodies, because the reality is absolutely definitely that the police don't control what happens in prisons. Do you not know anyone that works for either the police or the prison service? This sort of ignorance is what fuels conspiracy theories.

Of course he's held in segregation, he's a Nazi terrorist who killed an MP. You think killers like that get to sit and chat to the other guys? And you really want someone like that able to promote their sick ideology from behind bars? Maybe you want him to set up a blog? I'm sure that would really add to public discourse.

There's insufficient evidence to say Mair had an accomplice. It's possible that someone put the gun in his hands and suggested he kill Jo Cox; it's equally possible that he bought the gun in a pub car park from a hare courser. There's literally no actual reason to believe that the police haven't investigated this as far as its possible to go.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

All these people doing that for Trump, a guy who has probably never been involved in a physical confrontation his whole life.  Sheltered and protected from birth, dodged going into the army and is directly responsible for these four deaths.

These are people who give large amounts of their own money to TV evangelists so they can fly around in private jets. Their ability to find a decent leader to follow is not impressive.

16 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I kind of do a wee bit. It’s a bit like the guys who go off to Syria where you think “what has happened/gone wrong to lead to this?” Clearly the guys has been radicalised and you wonder if something could have prevented it.

On the other hand, he was an active participant in a fascist coup attempt, so f**k him.

The interviews of people who have participated so far have a really weird air of them really not understanding the severity of what they have done and an arrogance that they can do what they want without expecting any challenge to it. It’s mad.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

All these people doing that for Trump, a guy who has probably never been involved in a physical confrontation his whole life.  Sheltered and protected from birth, dodged going into the army and is directly responsible for these four deaths.

he gives zero fucks about them, be he in his gold plated bath tub, or a golf course he owns, but like brexit twats who followed Farage, they've been brainwashed to think, he's like us and he can be our voice

I mean, I guess there must be *some* reasons why a country founded by the descendants of batshit mental religious fundamentalists (who committed a near-genocide against an indigenous population) and allowed to have racism at its very core for its first 200 years is inhabited by millions of people who are thick-as-shit, but I guess we'll never know what those reasons are 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

You *should* draw distinctions between criminal justice bodies, because the reality is absolutely definitely that the police don't control what happens in prisons. Do you not know anyone that works for either the police or the prison service? This sort of ignorance is what fuels conspiracy theories.

Of course he's held in segregation, he's a Nazi terrorist who killed an MP. You think killers like that get to sit and chat to the other guys? And you really want someone like that able to promote their sick ideology from behind bars? Maybe you want him to set up a blog? I'm sure that would really add to public discourse.

There's insufficient evidence to say Mair had an accomplice. It's possible that someone put the gun in his hands and suggested he kill Jo Cox; it's equally possible that he bought the gun in a pub car park from a hare courser. There's literally no actual reason to believe that the police haven't investigated this as far as its possible to go.

They are both part of the same state so I don't see the difference. They may have different bureaucracies but they belong to the same power structure.

Even if he bought the gun from someone who had never heard of Jo Cox the guy would still be an accomplice.

As far as communication the Unabomber is able to publish books in the USA, Brevik is able to communicate in Norway and in the UK Klaus Fuchs was able to live as a normal prisoner and the IRA prisoners had far more liberty within their prisons. The post Gitmo Panopticon that has become normalised in the UK and applied to Assange and others is a political choice not a natural state of affairs. I'd say Mair is never likely to fully confess under these conditions and allowing a complete simpleton to communicate is going to cause less harm than having the person who supplied the weapon at large.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

All these people doing that for Trump, a guy who has probably never been involved in a physical confrontation his whole life.

I'm guessing he's been slapped by quite a few women over the years.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

So that was a big fail, the Senate is now Democrat, the President is now Democrat, and 4 of them died.

Not sure that they're done yet. It looks like most of the fascists at the Capitol Building were either unarmed, or sporting pistols.

There's a decent chance we're about to see a real surge in actual terrorist attacks from the militia groups dotted about the US, of which there are hundreds. They're armed to the teeth with assault rifles and combat gear, mostly Trump supporters, and have been itching to overthrow the federal government for some time now.

49 minutes ago, Gus Setsniffer said:

aye, if she was born in Hamilton, Stirling or Dundee, she'd be alive and just an arsehole Facebook maw

This woman died a long time ago, she was killed by conspiracy theories along with hundreds of others.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They are both part of the same state so I don't see the difference. They may have different bureaucracies but they belong to the same power structure.

Even if he bought the gun from someone who had never heard of Jo Cox the guy would still be an accomplice.

As far as communication the Unabomber is able to publish books in the USA, Brevik is able to communicate in Norway and in the UK Klaus Fuchs was able to live as a normal prisoner and the IRA prisoners had far more liberty within their prisons. The post Gitmo Panopticon that has become normalised in the UK and applied to Assange and others is a political choice not a natural state of affairs. I'd say Mair is never likely to fully confess under these conditions and allowing a complete simpleton to communicate is going to cause less harm than having the person who supplied the weapon at large.

You don't see the difference because you don't really understand how government works in this country. 

I'll give you one tiny example - the DWP aren't allowed to give your details to the police without a warrant. I was working in a Benefits Agency office when the police called me for someone's address. I told them to f**k off. They asked for my boss. She told them to f**k off. They asked for her boss. He told them to f**k off. They never got a warrant and they never came back. From my 22 years experience working in various government jobs I can tell you this is completely typical. Different parts of government don't work together. They probably should more than they do - there are folk paying NI and claiming benefits at the same time, and it doesn't get pinged. HMRC know what everyone on PAYE earns, but they don't pass that to Child Benefit and loads of people over the threshold are still getting child benefit. I know these are small examples but they're really typical, and they're in areas where you would definitely assume there was co-ordination.

As a matter of law, you are not an accomplice (in this case, an accessory) in a murder (or a robbery, assault) just for selling someone a firearm. You have to encourage or assist the offender, with some knowledge of the nature of the offence they intend to commit.

Brevik and the Unabomber aren't in British prisons. Brevik should be completely silenced, btw. IRA prisoners were pretty cut off until they became recognised as political prisoners.