The US Presidential election prediction thread

ICTChris

3 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

I've thought about that for a while. The Scottish press (and Scottish folk in general) love claiming folk as one of our own, you'd think a bigger deal would've been made about the President of the United States having a Scottish mum, but it's hardly mentioned. 

He's a total c**t. 

1 minute ago, Fratelli said:

I've thought about that for a while. The Scottish press (and Scottish folk in general) love claiming folk as one of our own, you'd think a bigger deal would've been made about the President of the United States having a Scottish mum, but it's hardly mentioned. 

Totally agree.

I think it's well known that he's partly of Scottish descent - the golf resorts etc, but I think plenty won't realise you only need to go back as far as his mum.

As people have said, Americans often make much of where they're 'from', even if it's from a distance of four or five generations.  In Trump's case, his Scottishness is far more immediate, but it's not something that's played on much at all here.  I think it must simply be a reflection of what a shameful character he is.

6 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Think he burned a lot of bridges with how he behaved over the golf course near Aberdeen.

15 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

The P&J / Evening Express were fairly drenching themselves over him when he first started up the golf course stuff but even they've probably ditched him by now.  

48 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Trump has close relatives from Lewis he genuinely knows well enough to visit and would have no problem moving back

I have it on good knowledge that he's been to Lewis once to see his Mother's cottage by helicopter, stayed 10 minutes and told his pilot "Get me out of this shithole".

Spoiler

No source available, vague memory of news report.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Yeah, 4/5 for me. Had a meeting in the morning so I had to get some sleep. Can't complain though. 

OY-cQB.gif

Betfair have paid on President and cash-out is suspended on Georgia. Hills and Sportsnation haven't paid yet.

Best election ever.

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I have it on good knowledge that he's been to Lewis once to see his Mother's cottage by helicopter, stayed 10 minutes and told his pilot "Get me out of this shithole".

Reveal hidden contents

No source available, vague memory of news report.

Bad knowledge actually.

He took his plane to Stornoway and spent 97 seconds inside his ancestral home such was his strong emotional bond to the place.

Edited by Fullerene

6 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Do you see Greta as an appeal to rationality or to visceral level emotions in a similar sort of way to Pastor BillyJoeJimBob Burgerflipper, III on Fox? World leaders only really pay lip service to global warming as an issue based on the arguments that usually get trundled out based mainly on computer modelling and are not implementing the policies that the environmentalists want for the most part so enter a somewhat odd and very emotionally overwrought Swedish teenager stage left...

Given that I found myself to be diverted earlier, I rather think I've done ever so well in catching up with this most positively momentous global day via the prism of this thread. Unfortunately the above from page 162 spectacularly fails to read the room in a way that is culturally maladroit on the Trump scale.

Never in the history of P&B have I seen so many prejudices packed into so few words and the subsequent justifications made me think that they made lots of sense, a lot of sense. I'm told the most amount of sense ever.

Apologies for the digression and it's remiss of me to be diverted by such frippery.

I raise a glass to the denouement of the peacock and for those that bought into it, I wish them well whilst introspection leads them to the light.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't know that there was lots of knicker wetting on here on Wednesday morning.

There was disappointment though, that a decisive rejection of Trump had not yet been delivered.   There was also understandable horror at Trump's immediate behaviour.  

The right result has been reached though, and it's relief, rather than jubilation, all round.

It's jubilation rather than relief  in this house, and myself and Mrs Grumpy live in a hick hillbilly Scottish town, far removed from the U.S.  

An ignorant narcissistic bully with power and global influence has been removed. Ok, he's exiting in full kicking and screaming mode (lol). but the sexist bigoted racist b*****d  is well and truly going. The ensuing legal shenanigans that await us in the next few weeks are the icing on the cake. He could do the decent thing (unlikely) and make a gracious concession speech, but, Donald being Donald, he's going to keep digging.